Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help! Polished Lip detailing failure.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 09:27 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Polished Lip detailing failure.

I spent about 4 hours washing/clar barring/waxing my car yesterday and EVERYTHING went well except for when it came to polishing the lips on my recently purchases iForged wheels ( or rather attempt to polish.)

I've never ever had an issue with taking out hardwater spots or smudges on other polished wheels I've had in the past but these ones are a real pain. I have tried Mother's aluminum wax with powerball, Meguir's Metal polish that comes in the mini tub and also just some straight up elbow grease and the lip looks the same in terms of the smudges and water spots just a BIT brighter. Are there any alternative solutions? Or did iForged just put a sorry *** polish on their lips. Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-09, 01:29 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it an actual polished lip? or is it a machined lip?
Old 08-25-09, 01:33 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edwinbong
is it an actual polished lip? or is it a machined lip?
This bit of detail is very important.
Old 08-25-09, 03:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All I know is I will never buy another polished lip or wheel that is not clear coated. Bare metal is a monster to clean and I'm too old for that.
Old 08-25-09, 03:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
I spent about 4 hours washing/clar barring/waxing my car yesterday and EVERYTHING went well except for when it came to polishing the lips on my recently purchases iForged wheels ( or rather attempt to polish.)

I've never ever had an issue with taking out hardwater spots or smudges on other polished wheels I've had in the past but these ones are a real pain. I have tried Mother's aluminum wax with powerball, Meguir's Metal polish that comes in the mini tub and also just some straight up elbow grease and the lip looks the same in terms of the smudges and water spots just a BIT brighter. Are there any alternative solutions? Or did iForged just put a sorry *** polish on their lips. Thanks guys!
Vinegar is good for hard water spots but make sure it is safe for you iForged wheels. Polishing a lip with a polishing machine will be pretty difficult and unfortunately doing it by hand is not always very effective.
Old 08-25-09, 03:18 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

You know, I couldn't tell you If anything it looks like just a metal finish if anything because I can see the swirls from the processing. If it is a machined lip, are there any cures?
Old 08-25-09, 04:06 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Actually I just called iForged and they said that my specific wheel does indeed have a polished lip. He also suggested using some sort of buffnig machine to get them out. I also mentioned to him that the inner barrel design is pretty retarded for it traps water when you wash it so you have to get in there and either blow it out w/ an air chuck or use a towel and osmosis that crap out. He agreed. Ridiculous. Thousand dollar wheel and it traps water, wheels aren't hubcentric to Lexus's and the polished lip is harder than hell to maintain. Any other ideas guys?
Old 08-26-09, 06:59 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not promising this will work, nor am i saying this wont harm your wheels as i have never owned polished wheels, but P21S is a great company and their products are usually VERY safe. first, i would wash the rims with P21S Metal PolishingSoap. After that, i use P21S Finish Restorer. Then i top it off with Poorboys Wheel Sealant. i used this on my very expensive wheels and had amazing results (i have chrome) hope this helps.
Old 08-26-09, 11:20 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

You know I'm pretty much on my last option. I'll go ahead and try their products and the method you're stating. Sick of this dead finish look on these expensive wheels. Thanks for your input and I'll get those things ordered ASAP.
Old 08-26-09, 11:27 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
You know I'm pretty much on my last option. I'll go ahead and try their products and the method you're stating. Sick of this dead finish look on these expensive wheels. Thanks for your input and I'll get those things ordered ASAP.
if you want, send a pm or email to any one of our detailing vendors for their input as they are the true professionals. i am actually surprised none of them have chimed in yet. the stuff i told you about is what they told me and i got incredible results. best of luck and i certainly hope it works out for you
Old 08-26-09, 11:53 AM
User1321989
Lead Lap

Use Glare Wheel Polish....its called "Knock out"
Its a multi step polishing process..it will effectively turn any polishing ball black within minutes....(thats getting your oxidation out)

If you're local to Fullerton I can show you my wheel, 18x10 and 18x11 Trafficstar wheels... I have a 6 inch lip in the rear....

Plan on a good 30-45 minutes each wheel..... but they are like a shiny set of new brass ***** =)

You can purchase Glare Products from Tuttle Click, Chrysler in Tustin.... ask for Dave Best.
Its the same stuff they use on airplanes and Air Force One.....

He initially gave me a bottle to test out.....and no I dont work for them or get any commission....or favors for promoting the product....

Last edited by User1321989; 08-26-09 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-28-09, 07:43 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

i have the same problem with my DPEs trapping water after every car wash.. i just use the sponge to soak up the water out, but i don't like these extra steps either..

i'm using P21S metal polishing soap with the poorboy's wheel sealant. my main problem was the excessive brake dust caked on my front lips. i still have haze after polishing, but it's a lot easier to clean and polish than the mother's metal polish i used before. like *Varsity64* mentioned, you might wanna try some P21S finish restorer also.. i really don't have enough patience to work on each wheel for 30+ minutes, but these products work quite well, you just might need some extra time with it.. gl..
Old 08-28-09, 08:39 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for p21s polishing soap and NXT metal polish combo!
Old 08-28-09, 04:54 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to Pep Boys and get :
Attached Thumbnails Help! Polished Lip detailing failure.-blm-400.jpg  
Old 08-28-09, 05:19 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Go to Pep Boys and get :
+ 1 for that polish as well as Mother's Billet Polish in a similar sized jar.

Most (not all) of the other products mentioned are not aggressive enough to get hard water spots out. For example NXT is great but not aggressive.

Try Mothers or Blue Magic, then follow up with the other wax/polishes like NXT for a super high shine finish.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-28-09 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! Polished Lip detailing failure.