Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

First car wash after paint job, what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 02:00 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First car wash after paint job, what do i do?

Hey fellas,

Just got my car back from the body shop, been sitting in my driveway for 2 days (no room in garage) and its already starting to get dirty. So i had a few questions and what better place to ask then CL...it was already waxed and buffed by the body shop but the car still has alot

1. How long after a paint job should i wait before i actually hand wash my car?

2. How long will it take after the paint job for the paint to actually fully cure and show its real color?

3. What products are reccomended to clean the car with?

4. Is it ok to just use soap and water to get the old wax off until i can go buy some of ur reccomended items?

thanks in advance,

-Zeeshaun
Old 08-27-09, 05:32 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

It's ok to wash your car whenever you're ready. What you dont want to do is put anything on the paint that can trap in any of the chemicals from the paint process that still need out-gassing.

Although there has been great strides in paint and the cure time, its still recommended to wait 30-40 days before the paint is considered cured.

If you're just looking to wash the car right now, a mild (ph balanced) soap will be perfect. A good example of this is Poorboys Super Slick n Suds. I would also highly recommend using a Grit Guard in your bucket along with a quality Lambswool Wash Mitt. Then be sure to dry using a nice, soft microfiber waffle weave drying towel.

Depends what you mean by "just soap and water". I dont think its ever a really great idea to wash with dawn or similar dish detergent soaps. Its certainly not a habit that you want to get in to.
Old 08-27-09, 11:26 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

No I wasn't referring for dishwasher detergent, I went ahead and used meguirs crystal clear car wash soap, do u think that was suffeciebt and not harmful

I also noticed the cars color turned a darker deeper shade of red after the wash, I was wonderingif anybody knew why?