Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus Interior Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 09:48 PM
ehong33234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Interior Cleaning

Hi there, I'm a proud new owner of my first Lexus (2006 GS430) and naturally, I want to take as much care of it as I can. So, since I purchased my vehicle used with some minor wear and tear and about 37k miles, I wanted to get opinions from the veterans about what you use to clean the inside of your vehicle. Please help me choose the right stuff (safe and effective).

Sorry for the long post, I did try to search but couldn't find all the answers. Thanks in advance for your help!

A) Dash Wood Trim: My car has some fingerprints and what appears to be food smudges on the wood trim.

B) Gauge Screen and Navigation Screen: What fabric and cleaning solution (if any) should I use?

C) Dash Plastic: I used Armor-All with a lint free cloth in my old accord but I'm hesitant to use that stuff on such a nice interior. What works?

D) Leather Seats: I read most of the posts and have heard mixed messages about this. Has anyone had luck using a cloth with warm water to clean and then hitting it with leather conditioner? I always thought water and leather were a no-no but am I wrong?

E) Carpet and Rubber Smudges on Plastic: I guess the previous owner had black boots and when they got in/out of the car, it left some black smudges along the tan plastic near the door and by the floor. What is the best solution to clean this?

F) Smoke Smell: I think the previous owner smoked and I don't. What's the best way for me to get rid of the smoke smell? I'm obviously going to get an air freshener but if there is a more permanent solution to get rid of the smoke smell, that would be great.

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 09-08-09, 02:09 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Hi there, I'm a proud new owner of my first Lexus (2006 GS430) and naturally, I want to take as much care of it as I can. So, since I purchased my vehicle used with some minor wear and tear and about 37k miles, I wanted to get opinions from the veterans about what you use to clean the inside of your vehicle. Please help me choose the right stuff (safe and effective).

Congrats on the purchase!! Lets see if I can help shed a little light here

A) Dash Wood Trim: My car has some fingerprints and what appears to be food smudges on the wood trim.

Is the wood trim coated? If so, you can go w/ p21s total auto wash or, if you dont need something w/ as much cleaning power, one of the dash/door/trim products like 303 aerospace would be just fine.

B) Gauge Screen and Navigation Screen: What fabric and cleaning solution (if any) should I use?

Just a simple microfiber glass towel dampened w/ some distilled water or diluted optimum no rinse should do the trick.

C) Dash Plastic: I used Armor-All with a lint free cloth in my old accord but I'm hesitant to use that stuff on such a nice interior. What works?

For here, I highly recommend 303 aerospace protectant. Leaves a very matte finish w/ no lingering scent and lots of UV protection. The other option would be Opimum Leather protectant plus which is very similar. Or, if you prefer a scented product, Poorboys Natural Look smells like cherries. You can find them all here: http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...iny--trim.html

D) Leather Seats: I read most of the posts and have heard mixed messages about this. Has anyone had luck using a cloth with warm water to clean and then hitting it with leather conditioner? I always thought water and leather were a no-no but am I wrong?

I'm a big fan of Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvinator Oil prestine clean is the daily/maintenance/routine product and the rejuvinator oil is for bringing back neglected leather. If you're just looking to use it on a regular basis the prestine clean alone would be sufficient.

E) Carpet and Rubber Smudges on Plastic: I guess the previous owner had black boots and when they got in/out of the car, it left some black smudges along the tan plastic near the door and by the floor. What is the best solution to clean this?

For the shoe marks/smudges, P21s Total Auto Wash is very effective here. I posted a MB C230 detail where I used the same product on just what you described. Works brilliantly.

F) Smoke Smell: I think the previous owner smoked and I don't. What's the best way for me to get rid of the smoke smell? I'm obviously going to get an air freshener but if there is a more permanent solution to get rid of the smoke smell, that would be great.

You can try to find a local detailer w/ an ozone machine that would help. As would going over the carpets w/ a hot water extractor and wiping down all other areas. Wipe down/clean the vents too! Smoke unfortunately hides everywhere
Old 09-08-09, 07:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

See this thread for some other choices.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...us-dealer.html
Old 09-08-09, 09:18 AM
TSC17
Driver School Candidate

You will find some helpful information in this thread as well: LS460L Full Detail
Old 09-08-09, 05:11 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new Lexus I'm sure you are excited to care for it. We have two great kits for that I recommend you look at our Interior Starter Kit and the Interior Advanced Kit. Both have a great selection of products to help you care for every surface you listed. Additionally I would suggest looking at the Chemical Guys Sofast Odor Eater to help you get rid of the smoke smell. It will help neutralize it and permanently eliminate it. If you think it's really bad get the Chemical Guys Extreme Offensive Odor Eliminator. Another option is to put a tray of baking soda in a tray in your vehicle when you are not driving, which helps absorb the smell. Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Old 09-08-09, 11:45 PM
ehong33234
Driver School Candidate

This is fantastic information fellas and I am very thankful for your help. I will give these all a shot to see how it works out.

With all due respect Greg, I am new to this stuff so I am not quite sure which retail products work the best and are the most reliable. I'm sure you wouldn't come on here to post if your products were not elite but can any other members chime in here to report their experience with the DI stuff?

Again, thank you!
Old 09-09-09, 06:19 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ehong33234
This is fantastic information fellas and I am very thankful for your help. I will give these all a shot to see how it works out.

With all due respect Greg, I am new to this stuff so I am not quite sure which retail products work the best and are the most reliable. I'm sure you wouldn't come on here to post if your products were not elite but can any other members chime in here to report their experience with the DI stuff?

Again, thank you!
We all have our favorite products but I can say that all of the products handled by our forum sponsors are quality products that I would have no problem using. FWIW, I've been doing auto detailing for 47 years before I retired so I've used most of them.
Old 09-09-09, 10:45 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehong33234

Again, thank you!
I completely understand your concern and I hope you are able to get more information from the forum members. I also encourage you to check out our product reviews to learn more from others. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Greg @ DI