Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Write-up Request

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 11:40 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Detailing Write-up Request

As much as I love reading these write-ups, they are all with cars that have dark colors. If anyone does a write up on a white car, please share! thanks
Old 09-19-09, 01:02 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S10 daily driver is white. Anything in particular that you're looking for? Or just a full writeup?
I'm working on cleaning up the exterior (mod/appearance wise) and planned a full writeup on everything that was done, but that probably wont be ready for another month.
Old 09-19-09, 01:15 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We do have an article about how to make silver paint pop. Check out this detail on the M3 and check out the really deep gloss! It's really stunning and should provide a good guideline for the white paint as well. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Old 09-19-09, 04:13 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I have a C/B on my Dads Dodge I did a while back. I did about 4 other white cars since then but the new rules on the forums says I can't post them if they're not my car lol

You're welcome to go and look if you want:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...e-caravan.html
Old 09-19-09, 04:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
We do have an article about how to make silver paint pop. Check out this detail on the M3 and check out the really deep gloss! It's really stunning and should provide a good guideline for the white paint as well. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Greg, that was awesome! I briefly considered getting obsidian instead of tungsten pearl on my new 450h. Black is so hot but hard (impossible?) to keep clean and swirl free. Well now I have no reservations. Who knew silver could be the new black? Thanks.
Old 09-20-09, 09:24 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
My S10 daily driver is white. Anything in particular that you're looking for? Or just a full writeup?
I'm working on cleaning up the exterior (mod/appearance wise) and planned a full writeup on everything that was done, but that probably wont be ready for another month.
specifically, i want to see what a professional paint correction looks like on a white car. my car color is similar to a pearl white (glacier frost) and even tho i "think" i am doing a decent job given what i have learned from the pros on this site and others, i want to see if i can pick up some tips for white cars (if that makes sense). i just feel like you can actually see results better on darker cars. maybe i am crazy, who knows? and if i have to wait a month, so be it. cant wait to read it, thanks!

Originally Posted by Greg@DI

Greg @ DI
i cant tell you how many times i read that write up. there are 2 products that i am dying to try, but i cant justify purchasing them the first one is Blackfire Wet Diamond why? because i have an entire bottle of Chemical Guys Jet Seal that i used once and love! results were just as good as you promised. the second product is ChemicalGuys E-zyme Natura i originally purchased P21S Concours Carnauba Wax and the results were great, but wanted a deeper look. so i then ordered Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax and again, loved the product. so here i am with 2 full containers of wax and i really want the E-zyme, but i cant justify the $275 price tag but i will say that i have a feeling i may cave in and get at some point bc of that write up.

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I have a C/B on my Dads Dodge I did a while back. I did about 4 other white cars since then but the new rules on the forums says I can't post them if they're not my car lol

You're welcome to go and look if you want:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...e-caravan.html
silly rule but i understand why its in place. thanks for this post!!! wow, the results are WOW! great gift and amazing job
Old 09-20-09, 12:29 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by varcity64
specifically, i want to see what a professional hite-Hard-Wax-P239/250-ml-S1/"]Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax[/URL]
I'll definitely post it up once I'm done . I think this is your most important step though. We just had this discussion with another guy regarding his white porsche and how he wasnt happy w/ all of the waxes he's tried, regardless of price. Its all in the paint prep and thats what he was missing. With proper paint prep, there are very few people, if any, who could tell the difference between waxes once applied. Sealants will vary from carnauba waxes though and I think you'll also find that sealants are slightly more popular on white vehicles. If you havent had the opportunity to do any prep prior to waxing, I would start there. Even a simple paint cleaner (ie: P21s Paintwork Cleanser) can make a huge difference if its never been done before
Old 09-22-09, 08:16 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
I'll definitely post it up once I'm done . I think this is your most important step though. We just had this discussion with another guy regarding his white porsche and how he wasnt happy w/ all of the waxes he's tried, regardless of price. Its all in the paint prep and thats what he was missing. With proper paint prep, there are very few people, if any, who could tell the difference between waxes once applied. Sealants will vary from carnauba waxes though and I think you'll also find that sealants are slightly more popular on white vehicles. If you havent had the opportunity to do any prep prior to waxing, I would start there. Even a simple paint cleaner (ie: P21s Paintwork Cleanser) can make a huge difference if its never been done before
what does the paint cleanser do exactly? remove lsp's? i actually did the whole clay and polish thing prior to sealant and wax but i am not 100% certain i broke down the polishes correctly, so that may be my problem. i will wait for your write up, thanks chris
Old 09-22-09, 08:27 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

what does the paint cleanser do exactly? remove lsp's? i actually did the whole clay and polish thing prior to sealant and wax but i am not 100% certain i broke down the polishes correctly, so that may be my problem. i will wait for your write up, thanks chris
A paintwork cleanser helps chemically clean and shine the paint. They are not really designed to remove surface imperfections (swirls, light scratches, etc.). They will remove some embedded surface contaminants, oxidation, etc. to help shine the paint.

Knowing when the polishes are broken down is not easy to describe. Essentially the product should look thinner and more clear. Additionally the finish feels smoother while buffing. You also definitely want to stop before it gets to dry, that can create a haze on the surface. Our Detailing Guide outlines how many sets of passes you should make over a certain area, depending on your application method (hand, PC, rotary, etc.).

Greg @ DI
Old 09-22-09, 10:48 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

As mentioned, they're typically chemical cleaners to help cleanse the surface and prep it for waxing. They will remove any lsp that you have on there and add some nice gloss in the process.
Heres a good page for helping to see the breakdown stages of polish.
http://paintcarendetailing.com/ssr25.html