Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

question about engine cleaning..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 10:24 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default question about engine cleaning..

so ive read around about engine cleaning and im going to try to clean my engine for the first time...

many detailers use Aluminum foil to cover engine components... my question is.. is it safe to cover the alternator with foil??

also can someone list what other parts need to be covered? spark plug, intake, battery, alternator etc etc

this is for a GS400.
Old 09-21-09, 07:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd suggest using plastic bags to cover the electrical components and air intake. Using aluminum foil could cause an issue if you shunt a hot wire to ground. Aluminum is a conductor, plastic is not. Don't apply plastic to a hot engine or it will melt.

I'd suggest not using too much water or a high pressure washer. Spray a citrus cleaner on the greasy parts, let it rest a bit and rinse with a hose. Repeat for stubborn areas and agitate with a brush as needed. Rinse thoroughly.

Keep in mind that what you rinse off will stain your driveway if you don't use a tarp. It may also kill your grass so try to plan for recovery of this gunk.

It is best to clean a warm but not hot engine. After cleaning I use my air compressor to blow out the water. Dry your engine as best you can then restart and let the engine warm up to aid in drying.

If you are going to apply a dressing to the rubber/vinyl/plastic parts use a product that dries. Anything that leaves an oily film will attract more dirt and dust and make your engine require cleaning more often. Water based vinyl/rubber treatments don't seem to hold up well as the engine compartment does get wet and they will wash off. I like acrylic based products as they dry hard and non-oily. CD/2 is my favorite.
Old 09-21-09, 10:05 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

yea that was one of my fears.. having power touch the chassis. and SPARK!!

My plans are to use Simple Green as a degreaser and pressure wash it.. but i guess ill just use regular hose water to rinse now. Also as a plastic dresser ill be using 303 Aero protectant leaves a nice semi gloss/matte finish a
Old 09-21-09, 10:06 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Keep in mind that what you rinse off will stain your driveway if you don't use a tarp. It may also kill your grass so try to plan for recovery of this gunk.
I didn't know that the first time I cleaned an engine bay and now have an orange driveway.

CDC engine degreaser works great if you have an engine and transmission covered in oil and grime. CD2 is also a really good product too.
Old 09-22-09, 08:12 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for prep, i suggest using plastic instead of foil. i would take a plastic shopping bag and wrap (or tape) areas of concern. for cleaning, i would definitely suggest using a citrus based cleaner like P21S TAW and a couple of brushes to agitate spots with extra dirt and then rinse the engine compartmet with as little water as possible. then i would use some air to blow as much water out of the engine and dry the rest with a rag. take off the plastic and dress it up with some 303 Aerospace. it should come out looking great
Old 09-22-09, 08:26 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally only use a rag and hand-clean my engine bay. I wouldn't dream of bringing a garden hose to my $20,000 engine bay.