Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiar nxt tech wax liquid vs paste?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 03:28 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
^^ He said he wasn't planning on using the rubbing compound actually, he was just letting me know he had it if needed.

And I think this will be done by hand unless he gets his portercable. I'll look for some microfiber covered foam applicators (can be found anywhere?) and I will not different applicators for the polish and wax.

I'll also keep an eye out for a bulk pack of microfiber - pref in the Zoom brand. you said to wash first, how should I wash them?

About the rubbing compound. Just wanted to be sure to advise caution with it. Hope I didn't make you feel I was trying to insult your abilities.

I wash my microfibers in a front loader with Tide HE and I use half of the normal amount. I put a few ounces of white vinegar in the rinse container and this keeps them soft and absorbent without using a fabric softener. I wash with hot rinse with cold water and dry in the dryer with the wrinkle guard cycle.

You may find that the microfibers will have excess dye and lint so washing them first is a good plan.

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-02-09 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-02-09, 06:13 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ wow, a lot of detail in the cleaning. I have a top loading washing machine and hope that's not a big deal. What's the "HE" in Tide HE?
Old 10-02-09, 08:21 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Shahryar
^^ wow, a lot of detail in the cleaning. I have a top loading washing machine and hope that's not a big deal. What's the "HE" in Tide HE?
HE stands for High Efficiency. This is what Tide has to say about it:

HE washing machines use less water than regular top-loading washing machines. However, you still have the same amount of dirty laundry. And as a result, there is a much higher concentration of soil to the amount of water in the HE washing machine. Due to this increased soil concentration, 2X Ultra Tide HE Free is specially formulated with ingredients that suspend this higher level of soil, helping to prevent it from redepositing on clothes during the wash cycle.

Also, HE washing machines are higher-sudsing machines, so 2X Ultra Tide HE Free is a low-suds formula. This allows you to use a full dose of 2X Ultra Tide HE Free without having to worry about over-sudsing in your machine (which can be damaging).
If your using a regular top loading Machine Tide Free should work just as well. You could also use Woolite or specific detergents for microfiber.
Old 10-05-09, 08:51 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Thanks. I picked up some Tide Free and white vinegar after my wash on Saturday. I only had a few microfibers since we were sharing between two cars. I Used around a third of a scoop of the detergent, threw a couple ounces in the fabric softener dispenser, and did the settings like you said. I went w/ either a delicates or easy care wash. On the dryer, I did a no heat fluff dry. The microfibers (and the other shamwow I threw in there - didn't use in car, wife just had it around and it needed to be washed) all seemed to come out ok.

I'll post details on my car cleaning in a day or two. We only did the body really due to 1) time restraints and 2) lack of supplies. on the tires, very little on the rims, didn't even do glass, and didn't do anything on the interior (this is mainly supplies - other than leatherique, I have nothing else). Hoping to take care of what I didn't do in a few weeks when I do follow up wash which I expect will be a lot shorter now thanks to the extensive cleaning I did to do the body on Saturday. Hope to have many more supplies by then
Old 07-26-10, 12:56 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

bring this back to life....I've picked up a can of paste instead of the liquid last weekend for wifey's RX and noticed the paste has more oil in it vs liquid...is this real or it's just me???
Old 07-26-10, 03:39 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by kickin8
bring this back to life....I've picked up a can of paste instead of the liquid last weekend for wifey's RX and noticed the paste has more oil in it vs liquid...is this real or it's just me???
I really don't care for the paste due to it's difficulty in applying a very thin coat. I definitely prefer the liquid. Both look the same and last the same.