Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiar nxt tech wax liquid vs paste?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 12:36 PM
outlaws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar nxt tech wax liquid vs paste?

now that summer is over and i've had the car for almost 4 months and getting the first oil change, i am thinking of waxing the exterior and cleaning up the interior leather.

for the interior leather and vinyl finishes, so far i purchased:
Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus - 17 oz
Poorboy's World Natural Look - 16 oz

for the wax, i am thinking of getting the meguiar nxt liquid... but i dont know if i should get the liquid or the paste form.
is there any difference?
how is the meguire nxt compared to other brands?

any input is appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-22-09, 12:44 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

meguiar's nxt 2.0 imo is a "good enough" wax, as in, it looks good enough, but not the best out there. its easy on, easy off, but doesn't last as long as some of the professional wax/sealants out there. for those, you're better off using a random orbital.

i've heard that liquid waxes have a lower concentration of wax stuff compared to paste, due to it having to be in liquid form. nxt is not bad, but i still prefer liquid glass.
Old 09-22-09, 12:45 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Meguiars' NXT is probably as good as it gets for an off-the-shelf wax. Get the liquid; easy on, easy off. Doesn't last as long as the paste but it's easier for the everyman.
Old 09-22-09, 12:48 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 09-22-09, 12:52 PM
outlaws
Rookie

thx i looked there and there seems to be 25% ppl on CL using meguiar nxt and if people say it isn't great in that it doesn't last long and is pricey, then i was wondering why ppl r still using it and if there are other products out there that are more cost effective.
Old 09-22-09, 03:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Zaino > NXT

There used to be a really nice review on an NSX forum where they were compared side by side on the same vehicle, but it doesn't seem to be up anymore
Old 09-22-09, 06:11 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Zaino > NXT

There used to be a really nice review on an NSX forum where they were compared side by side on the same vehicle, but it doesn't seem to be up anymore
Zaino is also much more expensive and must be used in correlation with other Zaino products in order to achieve maximum efficiency and durability (this is why it is much more expensive in the long run). Although I have to admit that once you go Zaino, it's hard to come back.
Old 09-22-09, 10:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by outlaws
thx i looked there and there seems to be 25% ppl on CL using meguiar nxt and if people say it isn't great in that it doesn't last long and is pricey, then i was wondering why ppl r still using it and if there are other products out there that are more cost effective.
Moved. Please put threads in the correct forum
Old 09-23-09, 06:34 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO Zaino is overrated. It takes a lot of work to put layers upon layers of this stuff. The difference between Zaino and the other sealants in the market is minimal. If you spend enough time polishing then you could make any car look good. Its all about the prep work, not so much about what LSP you use. Most of the car shine and dept comes from polishing.

NXT is a good sealant, easy to use for amatuers, smell great, and leaves a very slick finish. If you are worried about durability go with a booster wax every 3 weeks and you shoudl be fine for a few months.
Old 09-23-09, 07:33 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree with One HoT.

NXT looks as good as any sealant and I typically get 2-3 months out of it. If I use Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) as a maintenance after each wash it seems to last indefinitely.

One thing I've noticed about my use of Zaino is that while it looks every bit as good, it didn't seem to protect as well, especially against water spotting and bird droppings.

I think NXT 2.0 does a much better job against these.

Again, the purpose of a wax or sealant is to protect your paint. Most of the stunning wet look everyone wants, comes from your prep work, not the wax or sealant.

In the case of NXT 2.0, Meguiar's has stated that both the liquid and the paste protect equally. I find the liquid easier to use as I apply it with my PC. It's more difficult to get the paste onto a 6" pad. I've also found that with the liquid it is much easier to apply a thin layer than with the the paste.

My winter regimen is to apply NXT 2.0 (two coats) and then top with a pure carnauba like Meg's #16 or #26. This lasts me through 5+ months of Wisconsin winters. I also use Meg's UQW after every wash to maintain the slickness of the paint and make the car easier to keep clean. UQW only take about 10 minutes to apply to a SUV so it's really fast and doesn't streak.
Old 09-23-09, 09:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

NXT is good but to me seems a little "runny" IMO.. I'll be trying something new such a Natty's Paste Wax and Poor boys polish/sealant. I'll be able to compare the wax and paste..

The NXT leaves a nice glossy shine especially on the Pearl White.. GL..
Old 09-23-09, 10:13 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, I don't even own NXT anymore. Moved on to Collinite 845 instead. Its cheaper than NXT and it lasts one hell of a long time too. Try it out, you'll enjoy not waxing so much
Old 09-23-09, 10:17 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by jfelbab
My winter regimen is to apply NXT 2.0 (two coats) and then top with a pure carnauba like Meg's #16 or #26. This lasts me through 5+ months of Wisconsin winters. I also use Meg's UQW after every wash to maintain the slickness of the paint and make the car easier to keep clean. UQW only take about 10 minutes to apply to a SUV so it's really fast and doesn't streak.
You don't get any 'marring' or 'streaking' at all from mixing the synthetic (NXT) with the pure carnauba waxes?
Old 09-23-09, 10:23 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Lol, I don't even own NXT anymore. Moved on to Collinite 845 instead. Its cheaper than NXT and it lasts one hell of a long time too. Try it out, you'll enjoy not waxing so much
ohhhh yes Collinite FTMFW!
Old 09-23-09, 05:21 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
You don't get any 'marring' or 'streaking' at all from mixing the synthetic (NXT) with the pure carnauba waxes?
None. I let the NXT 2.0 fully cure (24 hours) between each coat. I wait another 24 hours and apply the carnauba.

Edit to add... I don't top with a carnauba during the warmer months. This is just my practice to extend the durability during the winter. Carnauba seems to protect better than sealants against things like salt, water spotting and touchless auto washes which I need to use periodically in the winter.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-23-09 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Meguiar nxt tech wax liquid vs paste?