Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Costco Microfibers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 06:15 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS300 I6
costco microfiber towels arent that great on paint. I do now recommend on using on paint. THIS WILL SCRATCH/SWIRL YOUR CAR. I only use it to clean my windows.
Have you noticed them leaving lint behind on windows or streaking?
Old 10-09-09, 09:18 AM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets say, its better then using a paper towel.
Old 10-09-09, 09:18 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

costco microfiber towels arent that great on paint. I do NOT recommend on using on paint. THIS WILL SCRATCH/SWIRL YOUR CAR. I only use it to clean my windows.
hermm my brother used it on his Black prelude and it hasnt swirled up his car yet.. i believe it comes down to how you use the towels i guess.
Old 10-09-09, 10:45 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I havent been to Costco in awhile, thanks for all the info guys. Im going to go buy me some microfiber towels from Costco. Ive bought a couple of MF from Kragen and their very nice and soft.
Old 10-09-09, 10:48 AM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

remember, you get what you pay for
Old 10-09-09, 11:37 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

remember, you get what you pay for
sure do!! n u get one hell of a deal!! haha
Old 10-09-09, 12:01 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I buy costco towels all the time, but they never touch paint, glass, or the interior. I tried the towels on the paint once on obsidian black and it left behind scratches, so I'll never use them on paint again. The towels also leave behind too much lint, so they're no good for the windows and interior.

I usually buy the towels to clean engine bays or wipe down rims and excess tire shine. They're also my decoy towels since I leave them in plain site and readily available. It really helps prevent my good towels from getting damaged by negligent people who think my house is their private work shop.
Old 10-09-09, 06:19 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I stick to Vroom towels for OTC. They last about 6 months before I move them to interior use. Obviously, only the higher quality towels touch the paint of a newly polished car though
Old 10-09-09, 10:33 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

ive been using these on my black cars and no swirls just yet. might think about buying higher grade ones since some of you guys have negative reviews on them. What's a good brand and how can i tell if they are good? more expensive the better? whats the avg price?
Old 10-10-09, 01:26 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RXSF
ive been using these on my black cars and no swirls just yet. might think about buying higher grade ones since some of you guys have negative reviews on them. What's a good brand and how can i tell if they are good? more expensive the better? whats the avg price?
Microfiber towels are a bit tricky. Just because they're expensive, doesn't mean they're better. Just make sure it's coming from a source you trust. I've seen towels go for $20 each....YIKES!!! IMHO, a quality mf towel should be in the $5-8 range. These towels will outlast the cheap ones for years, should be used on the soft Japanese paints, and will be easier to work with. Our current high-end mf towel comes in at over 600 grams, one of the softest and heaviest in the industry. We get our towels direct from the importer and bypass the middle men.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...els/Categories

Try out the GP MicroTowel for the paint...it'll be one of the best towels you've ever used...guaranteed.

If you guys haven't tried a specific glass towel, try our GP MicroGlass...it's a microfiber towel that has no nap so it won't leave behind any little fibers or lint on the glass.

In our case, you'll get what you pay for...I search high and low to make sure of that
Old 10-10-09, 01:30 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

I like them.
Old 10-10-09, 06:31 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

An easy way to test the MF towels it to rub them dry cross an old CD. IF they leave scratches in the soft plastic they will do the same to your paint.
Old 10-10-09, 06:37 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jfelbab
An easy way to test the MF towels it to rub them dry cross an old CD. IF they leave scratches in the soft plastic they will do the same to your paint.
YUP...excellent point. This must hold true after many washes as well.
Old 10-11-09, 07:02 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Pakshak is generally a popular buy in the detailing world. I've never purchased from them though since I have Chemical Guys in LA and I usually go there to chat with Paul anyway haha
Old 10-11-09, 07:06 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I don't know... I've been using the Costco microfibers for over a year on my USB IS-F, which is a relatively dark color, and no swirling or scratches are accounted for. Just remember to pull off the tag, because that definitely will scratch your finish.

Quick Reply: Costco Microfibers?