Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Costco Microfibers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 11:47 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Hmm, I stick to Vroom towels for OTC. They last about 6 months before I move them to interior use. Obviously, only the higher quality towels touch the paint of a newly polished car though
Amen....

But I just use the Chemical Guys for OTC since they're close by

The costco towels just get engine bay/wheel/interior use on my car(s)
Old 10-13-09, 11:53 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Amen....

But I just use the Chemical Guys for OTC since they're close by

The costco towels just get engine bay/wheel/interior use on my car(s)
You guys make me want to go visit the CG facility to go buy mf towels.
Old 10-13-09, 12:02 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I could grab them for you; I'm often in West Minister on Friday's or almost always near School M-F (CSULB)
Old 10-13-09, 12:06 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
I could grab them for you; I'm often in West Minister on Friday's or almost always near School M-F (CSULB)
Well I just want to go there and see the actual place. I have plenty of brand new CG towels still in their packaging in my garage. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 10-13-09, 01:06 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Microfiber towels are a bit tricky. Just because they're expensive, doesn't mean they're better. Just make sure it's coming from a source you trust. I've seen towels go for $20 each....YIKES!!! IMHO, a quality mf towel should be in the $5-8 range. These towels will outlast the cheap ones for years, should be used on the soft Japanese paints, and will be easier to work with. Our current high-end mf towel comes in at over 600 grams, one of the softest and heaviest in the industry. We get our towels direct from the importer and bypass the middle men.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...els/Categories

Try out the GP MicroTowel for the paint...it'll be one of the best towels you've ever used...guaranteed.

If you guys haven't tried a specific glass towel, try our GP MicroGlass...it's a microfiber towel that has no nap so it won't leave behind any little fibers or lint on the glass.

In our case, you'll get what you pay for...I search high and low to make sure of that
Now I'm doubting the microfiber towels I used to give my 2008 IS 350 (purchased new in Jan of this year) its first major detailing. My friend had just picked up microfibers from advanced Auto parts in a bulk pack. I also had my other friend's microfiber, but I'm not sure where those were from.

About the GP Microtowel you mention, How many would I need for a typical car wash and how long would they last. For care, I learned from jfelbab about using Tide Free with my top loader (half of the normal amount) along w/ a few ounces of white vinegar in the rinse container. Also, he said to wash with hot rinse with cold water and dry in the dryer with the wrinkle guard cycle (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ml#post4899775)

I ordered some leatherique from detailedimage.com a few weeks back and picked up a DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel - 16" x 16" for $3.59. haven't used it yet, but hopefully it's high quality
Old 10-13-09, 01:12 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long, lets go! I haven't talked to Paul since the last quake in Chino Hills lol. Sort of want to see what he has there now
Old 10-13-09, 03:40 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Long, lets go! I haven't talked to Paul since the last quake in Chino Hills lol. Sort of want to see what he has there now
We should go, but I don't really need anything.
Old 10-13-09, 07:18 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Now I'm doubting the microfiber towels I used to give my 2008 IS 350 (purchased new in Jan of this year) its first major detailing. My friend had just picked up microfibers from advanced Auto parts in a bulk pack. I also had my other friend's microfiber, but I'm not sure where those were from.

About the GP Microtowel you mention, How many would I need for a typical car wash and how long would they last. For care, I learned from jfelbab about using Tide Free with my top loader (half of the normal amount) along w/ a few ounces of white vinegar in the rinse container. Also, he said to wash with hot rinse with cold water and dry in the dryer with the wrinkle guard cycle (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ml#post4899775)

I ordered some leatherique from detailedimage.com a few weeks back and picked up a DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel - 16" x 16" for $3.59. haven't used it yet, but hopefully it's high quality
Our GP MicroTowels are probably one of the finest towels on the market. Reason being the density of the towel, over 600 grams, the soft microsuede edging that mitigates scratching, and the ideal size 16X16. These towels should easily last you a few years and a six-pack should be more than enough to rotate for one car. They should be used for removing wax, applying and removing detail spray, light dusting of the interior, etc. You could use them for drying, but our GP Drying Cloth is better suited for that purpose. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-09, 08:31 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use them on glass and for oil rags. If you've used "real" microfiber, you'll know what I'm saying.
Old 10-14-09, 10:30 PM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shern
i use them on glass and for oil rags. If you've used "real" microfiber, you'll know what i'm saying.
exactly!!!
Old 10-15-09, 07:29 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

If you're looking for a heavy towel (600g) we have the McIntosh or in the 530g range we have Octane and it goes down from there. But I dont always believe that a super plush towel is the answer for every type of removal. I think our McIntosh is awesome for final wipe downs though
Old 10-15-09, 07:57 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Our GP MicroTowels are probably one of the finest towels on the market. Reason being the density of the towel, over 600 grams, the soft microsuede edging that mitigates scratching, and the ideal size 16X16. These towels should easily last you a few years and a six-pack should be more than enough to rotate for one car. They should be used for removing wax, applying and removing detail spray, light dusting of the interior, etc. You could use them for drying, but our GP Drying Cloth is better suited for that purpose. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
If you're looking for a heavy towel (600g) we have the McIntosh or in the 530g range we have Octane and it goes down from there. But I dont always believe that a super plush towel is the answer for every type of removal. I think our McIntosh is awesome for final wipe downs though

Thanks for the information from both of you regarding High quality Microfiber towels. I would like to be as comfortable as possible while cleaning on my 2008 IS 350 so will compare both of your products, prices, and promotions and decide between. I'm guessing w/ Chris's two choices, I would probably need the same amount of microfibers for a car and they should last just as long. I need to get some of the 303 aerospace too so might as well get everything at once.

Chris - when you say "final wipedown" - do you mean applying the final wax/last step product? (in my case, Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 - my 18-Ounce Liquid arrived yesterday")

the older, (I assume) lower quality microfibers I will keep for tasks such as these:

Originally Posted by shern
I use them on glass and for oil rags. If you've used "real" microfiber, you'll know what I'm saying.
If there's anything else these older microfibers should/could be used for, please advise.
Old 10-15-09, 10:43 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Thanks for the information from both of you regarding High quality Microfiber towels. I would like to be as comfortable as possible while cleaning on my 2008 IS 350 so will compare both of your products, prices, and promotions and decide between. I'm guessing w/ Chris's two choices, I would probably need the same amount of microfibers for a car and they should last just as long. I need to get some of the 303 aerospace too so might as well get everything at once.

Chris - when you say "final wipedown" - do you mean applying the final wax/last step product? (in my case, Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 - my 18-Ounce Liquid arrived yesterday")

the older, (I assume) lower quality microfibers I will keep for tasks such as these:

If there's anything else these older microfibers should/could be used for, please advise.
By final wipedown, I mean for products like quick detailers and such. For wax or polish removal, youre better suited with a towel that has a shorter nap. Something like the Deluxe Mega Towel, Edgeless White or even mojito You can check out our extensive microfiber towel section here: http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...er-towels.html
Old 10-20-09, 01:22 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I use the costco ones all the time and they are great. I'm not sure when or why you would ever use a dry towel on a dry surface unless you are wiping off wax residue. I think it's more important to make sure the towel is clean, and that the surface is lubricated.
Old 10-20-09, 01:28 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by primecut
I use the costco ones all the time and they are great. I'm not sure when or why you would ever use a dry towel on a dry surface unless you are wiping off wax residue. I think it's more important to make sure the towel is clean, and that the surface is lubricated.
I always dry using those microfibers and some Showtime detailing spray from Mothers'.

Quick Reply: Costco Microfibers?