Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Langka vs. Dr. Colorchip vs. Touchup123

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 08:07 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Langka vs. Dr. Colorchip vs. Touchup123

Anyone comment on these 3 systems? There has been already a review of Dr. Colorchip on here.. Which is the best system for price/ease of use/results.

I am planning to fix some chip on my 2007 Black (color 212) IS 350.
Old 10-23-09, 09:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I used Dr. Colorchip. It works pretty good but I was having a problem with when I would dab and smear the paint on over road rash and then use the solution to remove the excess it would remove the paint in the chip as well 95% of the time. I let it stay on longer but same thing and the color was not a perfect match, they sent a better matched kit for free after I notified them. After a while I said the hell with dabbing and smearing it on and wiping off as it was not working out too well on my paint and I just hit every little spot with a fine brush. If I made a mistake I could just use the solution to remove it which is great. The paint seems to go on much better then the awful stuff you get from the dealership that gets stringy if you are not careful and is really hard to remove if you make a mistake.

I would rate Dr. Colorchip 7 out of 10 just because the paint is easier to apply, looks better, and can be easily removed if you make a mistake but the dabbing it on, smearing, and then wiping the excess off with the solution did not work for me because I ended up just removing what I was trying to touch up almost every time.
Old 10-23-09, 10:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

never used any of those but ive always had good luck with paintscratch.com
Old 10-23-09, 11:53 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm.. this bring me to another question.. anyone know an easy way of removing the OEM paint chip paint and clear coat? It really shows on my car because of my poor application.
Old 10-23-09, 01:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Hmm.. this bring me to another question.. anyone know an easy way of removing the OEM paint chip paint and clear coat? It really shows on my car because of my poor application.
You could use a razor blade to get the blob and then try to wetsand it. There is no real easy way. Sometimes a claybar will pull it out if it did not bond right.
Old 10-24-09, 01:41 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Using alcohol, 90% stuff from the drug store, should do the trick. Take your time and be patient. It's the safest way.
Old 10-24-09, 01:44 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UDel
You could use a razor blade to get the blob and then try to wetsand it. There is no real easy way. Sometimes a claybar will pull it out if it did not bond right.
Razor blade and wetsanding!!!!! Yikes. That's a recipe for disaster IMHO. Most professionals don't feel comfortable with that let alone a DIYer. Remember, path of least resistance. I'd try rubbing alcohol, if that doesn't work, denatured alcohol as a last resort. Paint touch ups never bond to the paint perfectly since they're not cured. So getting the touch up off is usually pretty easy.
Old 10-24-09, 09:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Razor blade and wetsanding!!!!! Yikes. That's a recipe for disaster IMHO. Most professionals don't feel comfortable with that let alone a DIYer. Remember, path of least resistance. I'd try rubbing alcohol, if that doesn't work, denatured alcohol as a last resort. Paint touch ups never bond to the paint perfectly since they're not cured. So getting the touch up off is usually pretty easy.
It is not a recipe for disaster if you are careful and know what you are doing. Don't know any professionals that don't ever wetsand, they are not really professionals if they don't ever feel comfortable wetsanding as that is a part of correcting some defects. If we are talking about getting poorly applied old touch up paint blobs off the finish or trying to make them look better I have tried denatured alcohol and it was not able to do anything to the paint blob. I know many professionals and non professionals who have used a razor blade and wetsanded or just wetsanded touch up paint blobs before and it worked out just fine if you know what you are doing like like taking your time and going from 1500 to 2000 grit and then polishing the sanding marks.
Old 10-24-09, 09:42 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UDel
It is not a recipe for disaster if you are careful and know what you are doing. Don't know any professionals that don't ever wetsand, they are not really professionals if they don't ever feel comfortable wetsanding as that is a part of correcting some defects. If we are talking about getting poorly applied old touch up paint blobs off the finish or trying to make them look better I have tried denatured alcohol and it was not able to do anything to the paint blob. I know many professionals and non professionals who have used a razor blade and wetsanded or just wetsanded touch up paint blobs before and it worked out just fine if you know what you are doing like like taking your time and going from 1500 to 2000 grit and then polishing the sanding marks.
The amount of clear coat on most production cars is as thin as a sheet of paper. I know we professionals wetsand, but it should be a last resort. I wouldn't advise a client to pull out a razor blade or sand paper as a first course of action as I wouldn't feel that's the solution. Unless the touch up paint has been on the car for years, it usually does come off with a mild solvent. Don't you think a few swipes of alcohol with a microfiber towel is a safer first attempt than a sharp razor or sand paper? I'm sure there are those out there that feel comfortable doing what you suggested, I was simply making sure everyone was aware of the risk-reward aspect of the solution.