Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dealer-applied floormat 'protector' left mats sticky

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 01:35 PM
DaytonaSTi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer-applied floormat 'protector' left mats sticky

I bought my LS430 from Ace Imports in Dallas and they left clear plastic sheets on the floor mats which said 'Dealer Must Remove' on them along with Lexus etc. At first I thought this was cool but once I removed them I found they left a bit of glue on the carpet and now my driver's side mat is turning black. Any tips on shampooing them? I will ask Sterling McCall about it when I go next Wed to get a new Smartkey but if they want $$ like I expect its probably cheaper to buy a whole new set for $86 + shipping online right?

Also, can our a-pillars be shampoo'd? There are a few dirt smudges I could do without.
Old 11-06-09, 03:31 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaytonaSTi
I bought my LS430 from Ace Imports in Dallas and they left clear plastic sheets on the floor mats which said 'Dealer Must Remove' on them along with Lexus etc. At first I thought this was cool but once I removed them I found they left a bit of glue on the carpet and now my driver's side mat is turning black. Any tips on shampooing them? I will ask Sterling McCall about it when I go next Wed to get a new Smartkey but if they want $$ like I expect its probably cheaper to buy a whole new set for $86 + shipping online right?

Also, can our a-pillars be shampoo'd? There are a few dirt smudges I could do without.
Autoglym Interior Shampoo/cleaner should definitely do the trick on the a-pilars. As for the glue on the carpets, you can try the autoglym, and if that doesn't work, have the dealer replace it since they put the plastic on the carpets in the first place.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail
Old 11-07-09, 12:28 PM
DaytonaSTi
Rookie

Thanks for the tip! I see it comes in a spray bottle, to best use Autoglym do i just spray it on and scrub with a nail brush then dab off what I can with a clean towel? For the mats should I spray, scrub then rinse off with water?
Old 11-08-09, 08:01 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the tip! I see it comes in a spray bottle, to best use Autoglym do i just spray it on and scrub with a nail brush then dab off what I can with a clean towel? For the mats should I spray, scrub then rinse off with water?
Spray on the carpet, agitate with a soft bristle brush, then rub clean with a microfiber towel. You don't have to rinse off the product. Good questions
Old 11-10-09, 05:09 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It will come off easily. I work for a dealer and used to keep this same sheet on my carpet floor mats, under my rubber mats (**** much?)

If you bought your car pre-owned, expect the dealer to be less than ecstatic if you come back for this reason though. I understand your frustrations and would have them as well in your position. However, in all honesty, once the car has been purchased they don't care much about something minor like this. It's a shame, yes.
Old 11-15-09, 03:50 PM
DaytonaSTi
Rookie

Autoglym sure did the trick! That stuff is amazing, just a few dabs with a sprayed old t-shirt and the grime on the A-pillars disappeared! I had to scrub a bit on the mats but they came clean as well. They were solid black where my heels rested and filled the t-shirt with black stains.
Old 11-15-09, 04:39 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Autoglym sure did the trick! That stuff is amazing, just a few dabs with a sprayed old t-shirt and the grime on the A-pillars disappeared! I had to scrub a bit on the mats but they came clean as well. They were solid black where my heels rested and filled the t-shirt with black stains.
Awesome!! Glad it worked for you. It also does a great job cleaning vinyl and plastics.