Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Power Washing...Good or Bad???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 12:52 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Washing...Good or Bad???

Hey all my detailing hero's,

Please tell me, is power washing going to be bad for paint? I don't think so, however I think it may strip any coats of wax that are on the car right? Currently I take my car consistent every week to a coin operated car wash. I do it myself with 2 buckets, 2 sheepskin mitts, waffle weave dryer, and obsorber for wheels. After I dry the car, I spray it down with Meguiars ULTIMATE and then I'm done.

The washers great for getting all the crud out of the wheel wells and cleaning my wheels, but is it bad for paint? Let me know guys thanks!!!!!!
Old 11-15-09, 01:24 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

as in pressure washers??

i use a pressure washer all the time on my 2GS since i have the foam cannon n i haven't had a problem.. i did however manage to remove some paint on the black part on the window cuz i got to close... my fault... but yea other than that i think it should be fine.. just keep your distance.
Old 11-15-09, 01:32 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I just responded to another query regarding power washers on another forum and basically here is what I said.

What I like about my pressure washer is that it has three power levels and two soap tanks. I fill one tank with Shampoo Plus for foaming and washing the vehicle and the other with APC for the undercarriage, tires and wheel wells. I foam the car and let it dwell while I clean the wheels, wells and tires with the APC solution and high pressure (1800 psi). Then I agitate the foam with the mid-pressure (about 900psi) and the rotating turbo agitator tip. I re-foam and quickly wash with a sheepskin mitt and follow with a mid-pressure rinse and finally with a low pressure action to sheet off most of the water. I can't believe how much faster and effective this is than my old manual method. It uses a lot less water too so I have much less to worry about as far as runoff goes.

I would be very cautious around any rust spots or paint chips as the higher pressure could take off more paint. You also need to use caution when cleaning the tires to not damage the sidewalls. Keep the wand at least a foot away and if you have a higher power unit even further.

I have never seen my sealant removed by the power washer. Use of too strong a soap or chemical will strip the wax/sealant though. If you use APC on the wheels, it will strip the wax/sealant on them but that is not due to the pressure washer, it would be due to the APC.

I follow all my washes with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to maintain the slickness and refresh the shine and protection too.
Old 11-15-09, 03:04 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

If it was bad for paint, I would have never bought a foam cannon and told others what fun it was and how easy it is
Old 11-15-09, 03:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

I use coin operated car wash (pressure washer) every other week no problems. On paint, tires, chrome wheels no problem.
Old 11-15-09, 04:23 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coin operated washers may be a little aggressive so just use some caution. As for home use, as long as you get something that's around 1800 psi, you're OK. It's the gas powered ones with 3000 psi that can do harm if not careful. As with using any power tool, use caution and lots of common sense.

Pressure washers won't remove wax. The wax is in the pores of the paint, and if synthetic it's made somewhat of a bond to the paint. Wax basically degrades with time and the elements; not water pressure.
Old 11-16-09, 01:10 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I just responded to another query regarding power washers on another forum and basically here is what I said.

What I like about my pressure washer is that it has three power levels and two soap tanks. I fill one tank with Shampoo Plus for foaming and washing the vehicle and the other with APC for the undercarriage, tires and wheel wells. I foam the car and let it dwell while I clean the wheels, wells and tires with the APC solution and high pressure (1800 psi). Then I agitate the foam with the mid-pressure (about 900psi) and the rotating turbo agitator tip. I re-foam and quickly wash with a sheepskin mitt and follow with a mid-pressure rinse and finally with a low pressure action to sheet off most of the water. I can't believe how much faster and effective this is than my old manual method. It uses a lot less water too so I have much less to worry about as far as runoff goes.

I would be very cautious around any rust spots or paint chips as the higher pressure could take off more paint. You also need to use caution when cleaning the tires to not damage the sidewalls. Keep the wand at least a foot away and if you have a higher power unit even further.

I have never seen my sealant removed by the power washer. Use of too strong a soap or chemical will strip the wax/sealant though. If you use APC on the wheels, it will strip the wax/sealant on them but that is not due to the pressure washer, it would be due to the APC.

I follow all my washes with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax to maintain the slickness and refresh the shine and protection too.
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The coin operated washers may be a little aggressive so just use some caution. As for home use, as long as you get something that's around 1800 psi, you're OK. It's the gas powered ones with 3000 psi that can do harm if not careful. As with using any power tool, use caution and lots of common sense.

Pressure washers won't remove wax. The wax is in the pores of the paint, and if synthetic it's made somewhat of a bond to the paint. Wax basically degrades with time and the elements; not water pressure.
K thanks guys!

Gonna make sure that I hold the washer a bit further away from my car and wheels/tires when I wash from now on thanks to your guys advice. The only downside I find from using the pressure washer, is you cant run water off the car with water. When using a regular hose, you are able to flood the car allowing it to eliminate some excess water. With the pressure washer, its' idle lowest setting does not have enough water to run off. Oh well.
Old 11-16-09, 03:40 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the coin op washer for years on many cars... no issues.
Old 11-16-09, 03:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

A high pressure coin op wand car wash stripped away of layer of paint on my old GS car. Don't get too close to get those bugs off the front bumper and hood!

Posted this in 2002
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I went out to run a couple of errands today and noticed I had a bunch of bugs and road crap on the front of my car. I didn't see any time in the near future for a full bath, so I stopped at one of those 'magic wand' spray it yourself places to rinse the bugs off before they made a permanent stain.

As I was spraying the bumper, I noticed a small film (I thought it was a big bug wing at first) flapping in the spray. When I got a closer look, it appears like some of the paint started peeling off with the spray. Obviously I "stopped doing that" and quit spraying (as you can see from the dirt and bugs still on the car in the picture below).

I'm not too PO'd about this as I was planning on getting my hood repainted soon anyway and now I'll just get the entire front clip shot.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? The peel is actually black, and the layer below it is also black (but looks really nice and shiny). I don't have expel. Am I just losing a layer of paint? Can I do anything to stop it or should I go ahead and peel it the first layer off, then wax?

PS. no need to respond to questions I posted above - car was sold last year and that front piece had long since been replaced and repainted

I later learned that many dealers put a quick coat of paint on CPO car bumpers (which is what mine was) to freshen them up and that's likely what peeled on mine.
Old 11-16-09, 06:15 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

^ Thanks dave.

I' am going to take all your guys good advice, and make sure to hold my washer a bit further from the cars paint and wheels and tires from now on. After washing and drying your car, do you guys spray it down with Ultimate or anything like it?
Old 11-17-09, 05:34 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave's scenario illustrates an important point;

If you've had paint/ body work done, there's a good chance they skipped in the prep phase, and the paint CAN then be stripped with a pressure washer due to poor bonding.

Otherwise, oem paint has adhesion beyond what typical pressure washers of ~2500 or less, can harm (anything over 3000 psi, all bets are off if you hold the tip close). And if you don't know whether or not your car's been painted, take Dave's lesson to heed and be cautious.

Common sense comes into play -take in all factors- when using a pressure washer, rotary buffer, etc.

They are wonderful tools, and I use my 2700 psi washer on my cars w/o issues, but I am very careful too.

Old 11-21-09, 10:07 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jfelbab, what pressure washer do you use?
Old 11-21-09, 10:53 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by varcity64
jfelbab, what pressure washer do you use?
I've gone through several electric models but they were all unsatisfactory until I bought this model.

http://www.huskypowerwasher.com/new_models.php

I really wanted an electric as I didn't want another gasoline engine to maintain/winterize and wanted a lower pressure model for automotive use. So far this model has hit the mark.

I'll be the first to state that the chances of getting a good inexpensive electric PW is a real crapshoot. I've gotten products that were DOA, broken after a couple uses and in general were just junk. I'd look to add a service agreement or buy a model with a long warranty in this category. This model came with a three year warranty.

Most of these units seem to come from China and/or have little if any QC. The PowerWasher unit I tried prior to this one was broken when it arrived. The manufacturer wanted me to wait for them to send me a part to repair the new PW. They sent the part, a GFI plug, two weeks later which I replaced and then I found the pressure hose would get pushed half way off the unit while operating. It went back. Before that I had a Karcher that the wand developed a crack and would spray through the crack. Before that I had a Black Cat that would only run for about 5 minutes and overheat and shut off.

If you really want a unit be prepared to face a few lemons.

That said I really like the current model I have. YMMV
Old 11-21-09, 11:12 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I've gone through several electric models but they were all unsatisfactory until I bought this model.

http://www.huskypowerwasher.com/new_models.php
where did you purchase this from? i went to home depot online and did not find it.
Old 11-21-09, 12:17 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by varcity64
where did you purchase this from? i went to home depot online and did not find it.
I got it in a local Home Depot. I wanted to purchase it in a B&M so that I could easily return it if there was a problem with it. Shipping a unit back is a hassle and I didn't have the time to waste if I ran into problems.

Again, let me caution you to read the user reviews of inexpensive (<$300) electric pressure washers and you will see about half the reviews are great and half are abysmal. Plan accordingly and be prepared to run the unit through it's paces relatively soon after purchase so that you have time to evaluate and return it if needed.