Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what wax?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 11:09 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what wax?

OK,
So I'd like a good wax, but not into paying super high prices for wax since I'm not sure (for me) that there is value in paying more than $50 for tub of wax.

Recommendations please. The car is 2006 IS350 with SGM paint.

I currently plan to purchase some Menzerna polishing compounds, but want to finish it off with a nice wax.
Old 11-17-09, 11:52 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
OK,
So I'd like a good wax, but not into paying super high prices for wax since I'm not sure (for me) that there is value in paying more than $50 for tub of wax.

Recommendations please. The car is 2006 IS350 with SGM paint.

I currently plan to purchase some Menzerna polishing compounds, but want to finish it off with a nice wax.
Thanks for posting I'd be happy to help. Starting off with the Menzerna polishes is a great way to remove surface imperfections and restore a deep shine. I personally use and suggest the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 followed by the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish). It's a great combination of a medium and light polish that work really well together!

For protection you may want to consider a sealant over a wax. Sealants apply with ease, look great and offer much longer durability over a wax. Quality waxes usually offer a little more gloss but the extra protection a sealant offers is usually the best value on a daily driver. If you would like to use a sealant I would suggest the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. It's extremely durable, super easy to use and looks outstanding. Best of all you need less than one ounce per coat so it's a pretty god value as well. If you need the most affordable option try the Optimum Poli-Seal, it's a great deal.

If you want you can layer a wax on top of a sealant for the best of both worlds or you can just use a wax. I would suggest either the P21S Concours Carnauba Wax or the Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax. Both options look great on lighter colors and will give you added depth and gloss. With your coupon code both waxes are under $30 and still give you top quality results!

As always save 10% off on these products with the coupon code 10offCl at DetailedImage.com. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-17-09, 12:28 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Another suggestion. I've had very good performance from Collinite 845 or 476, Meguiar's NXT Tech wax or Meg's HiTech Yellow Wax #26. These are all usually available OTC and cheaply, although Collinite is somewhat harder to find. Most of these waxes are indistinguishable from each other in appearance in blind testing.
Old 11-17-09, 04:51 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Hey guys, thanks for the input..... last time I polished and sealed, I used the poor boys products .... SSR2.5 followed by SSR1 and then the EXP sealant.

All in all, the stuff was decent... the sealant was a ***** to remove if I left it on too long. The one thing I didn't like about the SSR polishes was the amount of dust... but then again, it was my first time ever polishing so I'm not sure if this is normal or if there are polishes that dust less?

At any rate, a friend of mine has great success with Menzerna polishes so I figured I'd try those out... if the wax isn't a big issue, maybe I'll just stick with my poor boy's sealant but get new polish.
Old 11-17-09, 04:53 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Also, Greg... how would you compare the PO83 to the PO85RD? Do you carry a 16oz version of either? I only see 32 oz on the site...which for me would last about 10 years....
Old 11-17-09, 06:57 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its going to be very hard to find a polish that doesnt dust. Menz will dust, Megs will, and just about every other I've tried will as well. Just a matter of how much, like you mentioned.
For an inexpensive wax, I'd definitely give carnauba moose wax two thumbs up. Does a very good job of deepening the appearance. And as Jim mentioned, 845 insulator wax and 476 Super Double Coat are hard to beat, although, I think you'll find that 476 may be a little tough to work with, as I've had some mention this.
Old 11-18-09, 07:39 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Also, Greg... how would you compare the PO83 to the PO85RD? Do you carry a 16oz version of either? I only see 32 oz on the site...which for me would last about 10 years....
The Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 and Menzerna PO85RD Polish are pretty different. The PO83 has the cutting power of a strong medium cutting polish but it finishes down almost as nice a quality light cutting polish. The PO85RD is a very light cutting polish that most people use to burnish or "jewel" the paint with. After using a light polish some detailers will take a very soft pad (usually blue or black) and you can get that extra 2% pop in the paint. It further removes any haze and gives it a very optically clear finish. At this time Menzerna only makes them both in a 32oz size. I've been talking with Menzerna about making more pints but I'm not sure if it will happen. I understand 32oz is a lot of product and the only thing I can think of is maybe see if a friend will split it with you. You can then just pour half in 2 of our DI Accessories Dispenser Bottles.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-18-09, 08:54 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Just a tip on working with polishes. Polishes should be removed wet. Wax and sealants should be left to dry but polishes should not be worked until they dry. I find that I have no dust issues using nearly any polish. Apply and work the polish to a small 2'x2' area until it breaks down to a clear film then remove with a microfiber.
Old 11-18-09, 11:31 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

^^ OK, great tip.... I am definitely a newbie at polishing.... I figured I must be doing something wrong because all that dust was a ***** to clean up.
Old 11-18-09, 01:31 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

If you can find a high quality wool duster, pick one of those up to help remove the dust. I use it every single time I polish. Its definitely a time saver and it usually wont scratch the paint if you inspect the fibers every now and then for hard debris
Old 11-19-09, 11:58 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts
Default sup man

^^ OK, great tip.... I am definitely a newbie at polishing.... I figured I must be doing something wrong because all that dust was a ***** to clean up.
Where in CA are you located? I have Menzernas Polishes if you want. I bought the 32oz P0203S (medium polish on light cutting pad/polishing pad) and the P085RD (final polish on jeweling pad). I can give you 16 oz of each if you want. Just give me an offer. I'm in Orange County by the way. LMK.
Old 11-20-09, 05:58 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by eyezack87
If you can find a high quality wool duster, pick one of those up to help remove the dust. I use it every single time I polish. Its definitely a time saver and it usually wont scratch the paint if you inspect the fibers every now and then for hard debris
Great tip...here are the versions we sell and use all the time:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ster-gp/Detail
Old 11-20-09, 02:12 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Thanks for the offer buddy, I'm all the way up in Camarillo so I'd spend more in gas driving down there!

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Where in CA are you located? I have Menzernas Polishes if you want. I bought the 32oz P0203S (medium polish on light cutting pad/polishing pad) and the P085RD (final polish on jeweling pad). I can give you 16 oz of each if you want. Just give me an offer. I'm in Orange County by the way. LMK.