Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do I clean my windshield ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 09:47 PM
Oliverted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I clean my windshield ?

it looks like it hs been sandblasted when the sun hits it ?
Old 11-19-09, 12:23 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

you can use a scouring pad from the kitchen with either megs plastic x or scratch x.
finish by using megs plastic x or scratch x on a hand applicator.

clean the rest off with window cleaner.
Old 11-19-09, 12:13 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by v8soarer91
you can use a scouring pad from the kitchen with either megs plastic x or scratch x.
finish by using megs plastic x or scratch x on a hand applicator.

clean the rest off with window cleaner.
great info...!
what exactly do you mean by scouring pad?
Old 11-19-09, 12:23 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glass is very porous and soft. I would not use scouring pad with an abrasive. This will leave behind further fine scratches when the oils in the product dry out. How old is your car? It may be a sign of age. There are polishing kits out there for glass, but we'd have to first diagnose your situation before making a remedy.
Old 11-19-09, 12:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

WhAt about a pc7424 with a white pad? With menzerna po85rd?
Old 11-19-09, 01:24 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliverted
it looks like it hs been sandblasted when the sun hits it ?
I agree with Moe do not use a scouring pad. It may create some short term benefits by removing some build ups but ultimately it will probably leave more imperfections. Additionally if it's become dangerous your insurance company may cover that at no additional expense. I also highly recommend Glass Science Glass Scrub. It helps deep clean the glass removing ultra fine imperfection stuck in all the ridges of the glass. You can then protect it with a quality sealant.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
WhAt about a pc7424 with a white pad? With menzerna po85rd?
Glass is extremely hard so traditional polishers and polishes won't budge those scratches, although it can help clean it a little bit. I think you are better off with the Glass Scrub listed above.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-19-09, 03:49 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

In all honesty, if the glass has been beat up from highway driving, it may be worth it to just replace the glass. Usually, its only 3-400 and between the money spent on a glass kit and the time required to clean it up, I dont think it'll be worth it. The new windshield will update the look of the car and you will have crystal clear glass to look through
Old 11-19-09, 04:04 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with Chris on this one. There has been great reports by Maserati Mario on the Meguiars Online forums and the glass compound (cerium oxide iirc) but only to remove the scratches on the glass. He spent a hell of a long time on it too so I would imagine your situation would be the same. Somethings are just too much trouble you know?
Old 11-19-09, 04:36 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
In all honesty, if the glass has been beat up from highway driving, it may be worth it to just replace the glass. Usually, its only 3-400 and between the money spent on a glass kit and the time required to clean it up, I dont think it'll be worth it. The new windshield will update the look of the car and you will have crystal clear glass to look through
+1...it may just be the age of the glass.
Old 11-19-09, 05:07 PM
Oliverted
Driver School Candidate

The glass looks like it has a similar problem as the lights . lots of highway driving in sandy states California , Arizona and Nevada ?
the specks are tiny and plentyful . I really would like to avoid having a new wind shield installed nothing to do with the price I just don"t like the car being touched that way ( lol )
Old 11-19-09, 05:26 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Where are you located man? If its fixable me or any SoCal detailer/member/whoever can tell you if its salvageable or not. Of course, pictures of the pitting can tell us a bunch of things
Old 11-19-09, 06:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I polished my glass because my new windshield wipers were rubbing. I don't pay all that much attention to the windshield so it was a bit rough and sticky. I first rubbed vinegar/water over the windshield to get rid of what I could on the surface and any old Rain-X that was on there. Then I polished the windshield with Menzerna IP and a orange pad using a PC 7424. Since glass is much harder then a cars clearcoat/paint body finish it is recommended to use a special glass polish with a better cut and a special kind of polishing pad but I did feel like running out to get one for just trying to make the wipers work smoother. The Menzerna IP and orange pad worked pretty good, did not totally get rid of some of the wiper scaring and little surface nicks but it made it much less noticeable and made the windshield super smooth. I then put a coat of Klass AIO on the windshield. I turned the wipers on even on the mostly dry windshield and there was a huge difference, super smooth motion with no rubbing or any kind of noise like before.

I would first try some of the specialty glass polishes and pads for polishing a windshield before spending hundreds of dollars on a new windshield. You will definitely need a machine in order to polish out some of the little nicks and sandblasting but I am sure you will get some nice results if you go by it correctly.
Old 11-19-09, 07:52 PM
Oliverted
Driver School Candidate

I live in Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley ( North Hollywood ) I will take some pics, some advice would really help thanks . I would love to find a good detailer too . How much should I think about paying for a good job ? the last guy I used was useless didn't do a nice job at all its the little things that make a good detail. Thanks
Old 11-19-09, 09:22 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

No one is popping out off the top of my heat at the moment. Hmm, put it this way, you pay what you get for. Thats what I tell everyone anyway. I think Joe @ Superior Shine is right up your alley though