Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Okay to claybar several days after washing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 09:39 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Okay to claybar several days after washing?

So I washed and dried my car on Sunday (4 days ago) and intended to do the whole claybar, polish and wax routine but had to leave abruptly after only claying and polishing the hood.

The car has been sitting in my garage ever since and I'm wondering if it's okay for me to pick up where I left off or do I need to start from scratch with another wash? My initial thought is that since I'll be claybaring with lots of lube (thus minimizing the chance of grinding dust into my clearcoat) it's fine, but would like some expert opinions. Thank you!

Last edited by brociouz; 11-25-09 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-25-09, 09:56 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Since your car has been left in the garage it likely has very little, if any, contaminants on it unlike how it would if it was sitting outside. It should be fine to resume the clay process. I'm curious as to why you would only clay the hood then begin polishing if you intended to do the entire vehicle. If I have the luxury of time and don't need the car for a few days, it's best to clay the whole thing, wash it again to release any residue from claying, and then proceed to polish and wax.

At this point, kind of moot. You should be fine.

Big Mack
Old 11-25-09, 10:08 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Well I began with claying the hood and then realized I was going to leave very soon so proceeded with the polish so at least one part of the car was shiny haha. I thought I was going to drive it off but decided to leave it there and finish what I was doing later.

Is it really important to wash your car after claying?
Old 11-25-09, 07:55 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the type of QD or lubricant you used. Some might leave behind a protective layer that makes polishing harder as the pad just "floats" on top of it. I had a problem with Optimum Instant Detailer but that was my fault for not using my Optimum No Rinse quick detailer dilution. You can just do a simple 50/50 alcohol/water wipedown after though. That'll work too
Old 11-26-09, 08:49 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
So I washed and dried my car on Sunday (4 days ago) and intended to do the whole claybar, polish and wax routine but had to leave abruptly after only claying and polishing the hood.

The car has been sitting in my garage ever since and I'm wondering if it's okay for me to pick up where I left off or do I need to start from scratch with another wash? My initial thought is that since I'll be claybaring with lots of lube (thus minimizing the chance of grinding dust into my clearcoat) it's fine, but would like some expert opinions. Thank you!
It's OK, just rinse off the car and continue where you left off.
Old 11-26-09, 07:39 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on your climate and weather condition in your area. On a windy day, it doesn't make a difference if your car is in the garage, the dust finds its way in. I personally wouldn't let it go for a few hours before washing again prior to claying. The problem is that dust is actually microscopic rocks and if they get trapped in the clay, you now have an unpredictable sand paper. Use caution, look at the surface at eye level and if you see any bit of dust, wash again. A good insurance policy IMHO.
Old 11-26-09, 08:16 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

i would re-wash the car regardless to leave no room for guesswork. it doesn't take much time to have that peace of mind to have a clean slate. and if i was short on time, i wouldn't be polishing the vehicle anyways.

Trending Topics

Old 11-27-09, 10:42 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally, i would wash it. it shouldnt take too long to wash and you will have the piece of mind knowing it was washed.
Old 11-28-09, 10:16 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwinbong
i would re-wash the car regardless to leave no room for guesswork. it doesn't take much time to have that peace of mind to have a clean slate. and if i was short on time, i wouldn't be polishing the vehicle anyways.
+1, never take a chance with your finish. Check the link below, Zaino has a great tips and tricks for detailing your car.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...C&Store_Code=Z
Old 11-29-09, 05:31 AM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

I would atleast recommend doing a quick ONR wash before starting to clay again. Dust will settle within minutes even, if your concerned enough with you cars finish to polish it, you should definitely not skip any steps while doing so. good luck and make sure to post pictures!
Old 11-30-09, 11:22 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but after reading the first response I went ahead and continued claying without an additional wash or rinse. The car was pretty well soaked in Quik Detailer so I hope it's okay. I bought my car used and it already had some fine swirl marks on the finish anyway so I'll live. It's Tungsten Pearl (silver) so it doesn't really show. I'll try and post some pictures on the weekend. Thanks for the input everyone!