Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Non-Lexus detail question... car hauler

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 05:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts
Default Non-Lexus detail question... car hauler

So my car hauler has gotten fairly dirty sitting out in the storage area where I keep it (and getting hauled to tracks). I'd like to give it a good wash and some sort of protection before winter sets in but it's a pretty big task.

Wanted to get thoughts from the pros about how to most easily tackle this big job and what products to consider for covering a large amount of paint with some protection.

Not worried about anything close to flawless paint, looking for 'easiest method'. Just want to get the grime, bird crap and a little rust stain coming down from some non-stainless hardware somewhere in the build. I'm pretty good about getting the bird stuff off with QD as soon as I see it, so it isn't sitting but makes for lots of little white spots on the trailer.

(I'm talking about the trailer, not the truck although that needs a good cleaning too

I've got ladders, a Porter Cable anda car wash scrub brush that looks like a push broom which hooks to the hose. Never dared to use it in the past, but on this I'm thinking it may be ideal. I also have a cheapo Husky pressure washer I've never used but may also be handy.

Any tips or products you'd recommend to make this take less than a weekend?
Old 11-30-09, 06:22 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were you looking to do any correction work at all? or just protect it from the winter? there are many great products out there, but from my experience the best bang for the buck for such a large vehicle without killing your wallet would be collinite. this stuff works wonders and will have great protection. theres 476 in paste form or 845 in liquid form. bottles/tubs are usually less than 15 bucks. this would be the "easiest". then there is also duragloss which is another bang for the buck product with great protection, but this is a 2 step process. you need the PBA 601 polish bonding agent then top that with DG105. For the duragloss combo, label states you can achieve a year's worth of protection, but that varies on your climate, location, weather, etc. another approach would be optimum opti seal... a quick spray on wipe on wipe off application.
Old 11-30-09, 06:50 AM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like mentioned above, are you looking to do any more than a quick cleaner wax? I would reccomend washing your trailer with Dawn to remove anything bonded to the surface, and perform a quick clay. I would then get some Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish for your Porter Cable, which will be aggressive enough to remove the "grime" built up over the paint yet finish down amazingly glossy. I would use it with a Lake Country Classic FLAT Orange Pad, you will probably want to use the 6.5" variant since your dealing with large areas of space, and you may need a couple for something that large. This step will get you set up for a nice coat of sealant/wax, I use two coats of BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond
All Finish Paint Protection
which will give you an ACTUAL 4-6 months of protection(My truck sits outside in Florida 24/7 and its been about 7 months since I applied and my truck still beads very well.) You can apply this with your Porter Cable as well for quick application using a Lake Country Classic FLAT Gold Pad.
Old 11-30-09, 07:24 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no such thing as a quick clay on a trailer that size lol. Honestly for the trailer, I would use a brush and a foam cannon. The truck on the other hand would be a 2 bucket wash.
Old 11-30-09, 08:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

No correction planned at all except possibly in the extra dirty 'runoff areas' if they don't come up with the wash... just get it clean and with some protection. I use Collinite on my boat and it is very durable (or rather my detail guy uses it, so I don't have any in my rack / boxes of details supplies).

I don't have a foam cannon, but I used to have one of those mr clean spray things... wonder if I threw that thing away, lol.
Old 11-30-09, 12:12 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No correction planned at all except possibly in the extra dirty 'runoff areas' if they don't come up with the wash... just get it clean and with some protection. I use Collinite on my boat and it is very durable (or rather my detail guy uses it, so I don't have any in my rack / boxes of details supplies).

I don't have a foam cannon, but I used to have one of those mr clean spray things... wonder if I threw that thing away, lol.
What about ONR?

I've used ONR in a bucket with a brush on a fleet of wrapped and not wrapped vans before and it worked well.

Soak a little with the pressure washer first.

ONR and Brush.

Rinse with pressure washer.
Old 11-30-09, 01:02 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad you're not really looking to get a foam cannon Dave. Shooting a APC like Optimum Power Clean or even LA's Totally Awesome straight would get rid of most of the grime with 1 shot. Hmm, would you be interested in picking up a Gilmour Foam Master? Its essentially the same thing but powered by a normal hose. Its a lot cheaper too and I think quite a few vendors online are stocking it where you are...

For big vehicles I like to use foam to make it easier to clean. For protection, I'd just say pick up a bottle of Collinite 845. It goes a long way since its easy to spread super thin
Old 11-30-09, 05:32 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

The foam cannon was the first thing I thought of when I saw those pics.
Old 12-02-09, 08:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Too bad you're not really looking to get a foam cannon Dave. Shooting a APC like Optimum Power Clean or even LA's Totally Awesome straight would get rid of most of the grime with 1 shot. Hmm, would you be interested in picking up a Gilmour Foam Master? Its essentially the same thing but powered by a normal hose. Its a lot cheaper too and I think quite a few vendors online are stocking it where you are...

For big vehicles I like to use foam to make it easier to clean. For protection, I'd just say pick up a bottle of Collinite 845. It goes a long way since its easy to spread super thin
Just looked up those Glimour things, reminds me of an attachment I have to spray fertilizer or week killer on the lawn by Scotts, lol

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-95QGFM...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Maybe I'll look into the cannons too but not sure if my little pressure washer will drive one. It's been years since I've even seen the box but it's something like this one http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...atalogId=10053

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-02-09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 01:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Bumping this up - haven't washed my trailer other than when I posted this last December and was about 45 degrees which made for a very fast wash with a brush. I think my hands are just now thawing out.

I haven't yet got a foam cannon but I did break out my pressure washer and try it this morning on my front porch - works great and think it'll do OK on the trailer.

Curious about what products would work OK for a wash using the pressure washer? The trailer has some light surface discoloration that doesn't come off by hand scrubbing with QD or washless product that I'd like to get off of it. It's not a super powerful washer (electric - 1750 PSI) and a friend recommended using simple green which he'd used on a work trailer with good effect or getting some black streak remover product. Or just car wash liquid?
Old 06-28-10, 01:42 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i think u need a concentrate, car wash solution is too weak for that. simple green degreaser works wonders.
Old 06-28-10, 06:36 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure to not let any degreaser dry on the paint or gel coat of the trailer. Otherwise it'll be spotted after you rinse it all off. For protection, Majestic Solutions Enviro Shield is something I'd probably look into Dave. Its designed to be sprayed on a wet car and dried. It leaves behind a protective coat on the surface. It would be much easier than waxing it all the time