Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Buffer Or Hand Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-02, 02:50 PM
gs2fst4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffer Or Hand Wax?

IVE BEEN SEARCHING THE ARCHIVES ON HOW TO PROPERLY POLISH A BLACK GS. THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT VERSIONS ON HOW AND WHAT TO USE THAT ITS ALMOST CONFUSING. IM TIRED OF WAITING 6 HOURS JUST TO GET MY CAR DETAILED AT THE LOCAL SHOP. IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A LOW-END BUFFER (WAXMASTER) FROM PEP BOYS DO DETAIL MY BLACK GS. WHAT WOULD BE BETTER HAND OR MACHINE? WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO USE ON A BLACK CAR? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
Old 05-08-02, 03:05 PM
LexFather

If you got time and energy, I suggest a hand wax. I do that about once every 3 months. I don't use Zaino but Meguire's, it works extremely well.
Old 05-08-02, 03:14 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buffer Or Hand Wax?

Originally posted by gs2fst4u
IVE BEEN SEARCHING THE ARCHIVES ON HOW TO PROPERLY POLISH A BLACK GS. THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT VERSIONS ON HOW AND WHAT TO USE THAT ITS ALMOST CONFUSING. IM TIRED OF WAITING 6 HOURS JUST TO GET MY CAR DETAILED AT THE LOCAL SHOP. IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A LOW-END BUFFER (WAXMASTER) FROM PEP BOYS DO DETAIL MY BLACK GS. WHAT WOULD BE BETTER HAND OR MACHINE? WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO USE ON A BLACK CAR? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
etiquette my friend, don't type in caps.
Old 05-08-02, 03:23 PM
gs2fst4u
Driver School Candidate

I apologize. Didn't realize that somthing so unimportant like writing in caps would bother you. I'LL TRY NOT TO WRIGHT IN CAPS ANYMORE SO THAT YOU CAN BE SATISFIED. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP ON MY POST.....
Old 05-08-02, 03:55 PM
BLW
Driver

I have had for a polisher from Meguiars (for 4 years) that drastically speeds up the waxing of all my vehicles. Most of the time I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax.

http://meguiars.com/product_showroom...cfm?SrcLine=CT
Old 05-08-02, 03:55 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I apologize. Didn't realize that somthing so unimportant like writing in caps would bother you. I'LL TRY NOT TO WRIGHT IN CAPS ANYMORE SO THAT YOU CAN BE SATISFIED. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP ON MY POST.....
Please try to use proper grammar as well when you WRITE, not WRIGHT your posts!

As for what wax to use, you'll get a million different opinions on that one. I just ordered some Klasse, but for years I've been a Meguiar's Gold Class, Turtle Wax Emerald, or Zymol man.

I have never used a buffer but I've heard they do a superior job, especially on dark colored cars. There must be a reason the good detailers use them, right?

Last edited by Iceman; 05-08-02 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-08-02, 03:57 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Zaino. With the wax catalyst, you can just about wipe the wax off as soon as you finish putting it on (which makes multiple coats much easier, too).

Zaino comes off so easily that I'm not sure a buffer would be significantly faster.

We can also help you with all the varied spellings of "WRIGHT".............
Old 05-08-02, 03:58 PM
gs2fst4u
Driver School Candidate

good job, i guess ur smarter than i thought! your not stupid after all!! keep up the great work.
Old 05-08-02, 03:58 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

this newbie needs to learn some respect!!! jeez he thinks he can just waltz in here and tell a vet what to do...

drew
Old 05-08-02, 04:35 PM
gsstud
Pole Position

at least he didnt reply in caps!!
Old 05-08-02, 04:53 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 99 GS 300
this newbie needs to learn some respect!!! jeez he thinks he can just waltz in here and tell a vet what to do...

drew

Must be a Jersey thing
Old 05-08-02, 05:04 PM
shftup
Intermediate

2 funny, this is getting good.
u have 2 admit, he's got some spunk...
Old 05-08-02, 06:16 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

"somthing" [sic] should be "something"

I use Zymol now. Not sure if I want to stick with this thing as it's a hassle to apply. Was a former Meguiar user and I was happy with it.

Now, you're baptized
Old 05-08-02, 06:43 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I use Meguiar's too, I used to use Turtle Wax until I heard that it may be scratching my finish. Here's a good forum for car care. These guys are fanatics ... http://autopia-carport.com/
Old 05-08-02, 07:01 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Consumer Reports actually has a report on auto waxes that showed which ones tend to scratch the finish, or last for a short time, or hard to apply, everything. It is on the internet if you are a paid subscriber to www.consumerreports.org

Quick Reply: Buffer Or Hand Wax?