Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ryan and Todd's Winter Wonderland The Greatest Detailing Adventure presnted by PAC!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 07:16 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meanwhile I put the finishing touches polishing the Cobra and prepared to apply Blackfire first thing in the morning.

Day Eight:

With the 427 Cobra behind me and over 95% correction achieved, I applied and removed two coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond.

A couple pictures of the Cobra and the SIATA together.

1971 Boss Mustang NASCAR Pro-Touring

This particular car is much different then most of the original pieces of art displayed. This car has been modified to the gills and is basically a NASCAR motor and NASCAR suspension in a street car. It has hit 186 on the straight and Laguna Seca and has an estimated top speed of 202 mph. It’s bad…

And so was the paint, from a previous detailer.

Menzerna Power Gloss and Lake Country 4ply wool pad took car of the majority of the deeper scratches and helped round out the numerous DA sanding marks. This was followed by using the Porta method. First I polished away the wool pad marks with Menzerna PO203s Power Finish, then Mike followed behind me, polishing the surface with the Porter Cable, breaking the polish down all of the way and removing holograms.

We moved fast and finished in under six hours total. Ryan looked up from the Boss Mustang, red-eyed, and mumbled a few words in Boston (which is it’s on language by the way) and went back to work.

Mike followed behind me, ensuring a hologram free finish.

The center of the hood was going to get painted flat black, so we did not polish it. However the previous detailer claimed he couldn’t see the different before and after so I decided to leave my mark. I polished USA into the center of the hood.

I highlighted the USA in this picture since it hard to see in the lighting.

A slightly different angle.

The 71 Boss completed (and Blackfired).
Old 12-18-09, 07:27 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Lamborghini Countach ‘Periscopo’

While I didn’t take any pictures of this car this time (I did last time), I gave this car a very quick 1 step with a Porter Cable armed with M205/Orange pad, a coat of Meguiar’s M07 Show Car Glaze, and a coating of Meguiar’s NXT Tech Wax. It was being sold the next day.

You can see the car behind and to the left of the Cobra in this picture.

Day Nine: Ryan’s Nightmare.

Day nine was significant for two reasons. Ryan was leaving a day before me and Buddy had also checked out. Great… I was going to be on my own.

Ryan continued his assault on the Boss Mustang, leveling out RIDS in a never ending battle. I ran into my own nightmare (of sorts) with a Lola T162 Can Am race car.

1969 Lola T162 Can Am

Only two of these special cars where built for the 1969 season, each with an all aluminum ZL1 427 Big Block producing upwards of 900 horsepower. The original engine for this Lola is packed away and a 468 Donavon big block resides in the cradle now. Mr. X still races this car.

The paint on the Lola was weird, and that is an understatement. Too aggressive of polishing would scour the surface and require lots of follow up polishing to get it right. To week of polishing wouldn’t touch the RIDS and deep scratches.

My process evolved to ultimate look like this. Menzerna PO34sa Power Gloss was applied 2 to 3 times using a Purple Foamed Wool pad, followed by Power Gloss on an Orange Power Pad. This was followed by Menzerna PO83q Super Intensive Polish on a Hi-Gloss White pad, and finally jeweled with Menzerna PO106fa on a black finessing pad. This car took my full day, and because the weather was still not warm enough to do move cars, I had to do it next door.

It took a lot to get to this…

Look at the blue all over those pads… No doubt the LOLA will go faster now!

After one coat of Blackfire, applied by Mike.

I returned to find Ryan polishing one side of the BOSS Mustang with Super Intensive Polish. The whole car had been painstakingly compounded out over the course of the last three days, and only needed a medium polish on the drivers side, as well as final polishing and hand polishing in some spots. We returned to a new hotel and feel asleep.

In the morning Ryan boarded Air Wolfe and was flown in great secrecy back to Boston.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 12-18-09, 07:37 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Day 10: The Last Stand.

Driving to Hanger 53 for the last time I reflected on the trip. That is, I tried to reflect, until I realized it was one big blur. Instead I focused on the McDonald’s breakfast in my hand.

I grabbed Mike and we started on finishing the Boss 429. Ryan had left the original paint in near perfect condition with only some high lights of water spots remaining on the hood and light RIDS scattered about. I immediately began polishing with Menzerna SIP, finishing the driver’s side, using a Hi-Gloss Flat 6.5 inch White Polishing pad.

Mike went work by hand, polishing the numerous vents, scopes, around the door hands, and C-pillar emblems. He used custom orange and white polishing foams and Meguiar’s M105/M205.

After an hour of polishing I switched to Menzerna PO106fa Super Finish and a Black Finessing pad, jewelling each square inch of the vintage enamel by to a very high gloss.

The battle worn on, but the tides had shifted, and the end was insight. I wish Ryan was there to see it.

One piece left: The damn hood scope.

Two passes of SIP and a wool pad, followed by SIP and a white pad had the fiberglass Boss scope looking new.

I finished polishing the final piece, grabbed a towel, and it was gone, along with Mike. Where did they go? After searching for hours and finally noticing the scoop was on the hood, I invest aged. Mike popped out like a Jack-in-the-Box and I nearly fainted. Instead I just happened to have my camera at that very moment and snapped a picture.

Actually we staged this shot, but I like the lead-in better.

Mike went about applying Blackfire Wet Diamond to the car while I finished by final project next door.

The Fiat Super Sonic by Ghia.

I actually did a complete polish on this car two years ago, but some wipe downs had left behind light marring.

This is probably one of the more valuable and best looking cars in the entire collection, complete with the fabulous 8V Fiat Engine (the same as the SIATA). You can describe how beautiful the body is on this car, and pictures don’t do it justice. It has to be seen to be appreciated, but you might never leave. (Note: After 10 days and as much as I love the car, I still was ready to leave).

Two passes of Menzerna PO106fa Super Finish on a 7.5 Inch, Hi-Gloss CCS Black Finessing Pad and hand applied Blackfire Wet Diamond finished by trip.

Wet Diamond curing.

The results.

Mike was done with the Bossy Boss 429.

Now the Mustang is ready for the vintage 429 to be reinstalled.

As I prepared to leave for the last time this trip I took a couple of pictures of the Sutton KK then flipped out the lights for the last time.

As I boarded Air Wolfe for my return flight back home, I feel asleep dreaming of the bucket of pad’s I didn’t wash, sitting in Hanger 53.

Old 12-18-09, 09:24 AM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow you guys have some set of cars to work on
Old 12-20-09, 05:53 PM
toxictv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is insane. Amazing work. How much does something like this pay? I can't even begin to imagine..
Old 12-25-09, 05:18 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is quite possibly one of the most amazing posts i have read in so many respects. the only thing more stunning than the work done to these cars is the actual cars the work was done to 10 days straight of detailing is no joke. simply breath taking work guys i can only wish to be 1/10th as good as you guys one day
Old 02-04-10, 08:42 PM
RyDawg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great comments!

The trip was a blast and hope to do it again!