Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Orange peel following body shop repair - worth complaining?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 07:34 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Orange peel following body shop repair - worth complaining?

I recently had the rear bumper swapped out on my 2006 IS350. The color match is great, but at the right angle you will see a considerable amount of "orange peel," which contrasts with the very flat factory paint finish. Should I go back and complain or is this par for the course with body shops? Thanks.
Old 12-27-09, 08:06 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i would bring it back and tell them to correct it until ur satisfied...
Old 12-27-09, 09:03 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had/have a similar issue, except on the hood, bumper and fenders. Assuming they put an adequate amount of clear coat on, they should have plenty of room to wet-sand the orange peel to an acceptable level. It's definitely something you want handled by the people who painted it, for only they know what they did and how much room they have to work with.
Old 12-27-09, 10:03 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Joe on this one. You paid for the job, its time that they finished it
Old 12-27-09, 10:20 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. I think I'll bring it back in tomorrow and see what they have to say. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too ****.
Old 12-28-09, 04:41 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take it back to them, but be careful they just might wet sand it down to much and you might lose some of the UV protection on the bumper.
Old 12-28-09, 07:50 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

It all depends on what you paid for. If you paid market price, then the job should be to your satisfaction. If you got a "deal", then you got what you paid for. Either way, be cool about it. Let the shop know that it bothers you and you would appreciate it if the took care of it. Unless you have a paint gauge that reads plastics, it's tough to find out how much they'll sand. As Angelo stated, they may sand too much down. But if you're cool, they will probably be nice back.
Old 12-28-09, 09:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Bumpers are hard to repair. The paint is a flex blend that sits on a plastic bumper cover. You can easily damage these by buffing due to the fact that they don't dissipate heat like paint on metal. It takes a skilled bit of work to make them look the same as the rest of the car. I'm sure the painter can make it right if he has some experience.
Old 12-28-09, 02:20 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

All I'll say is that if it bothers you now, it will continue to bother you forever so go discuss it with the paint shop and see what they'll do. On the last paint job I had I brought the car back about 4 times before I got even close to satisfied.
Old 12-28-09, 07:10 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Bumpers are hard to repair. The paint is a flex blend that sits on a plastic bumper cover. You can easily damage these by buffing due to the fact that they don't dissipate heat like paint on metal. It takes a skilled bit of work to make them look the same as the rest of the car. I'm sure the painter can make it right if he has some experience.
do you even have any slightest idea what you're saying? if you have no clue,please keep your useless comments to yourself

flex blend that sits on plastic bumper? a person who has no experience painting,is not a painter.

OP, take the car back and have them do a light sand and buff,most insurance companies have lifetime warranty on repairs that were done under insurance claims, so if the paint fades,you should be able get it ti taken care of at no charge,good luck

Stefan
Old 12-28-09, 07:37 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by exvelocity
do you even have any slightest idea what you're saying? if you have no clue,please keep your useless comments to yourself

flex blend that sits on plastic bumper? a person who has no experience painting,is not a painter.

OP, take the car back and have them do a light sand and buff,most insurance companies have lifetime warranty on repairs that were done under insurance claims, so if the paint fades,you should be able get it ti taken care of at no charge,good luck

Stefan
Plastic bumper covers require flexible paints. Sikkens makes PlastoFlex which is what I've personally used. Ever used it? Just a FYI... You can't use the same paint on the plastic covers as you do on metal. You know that, right? The primer, base and clear are all flexible.

I'd suggest that you concentrate on the subject at hand and keep your rude name calling to yourself. It does nothing positive for the forum, your credibility nor the OP.

I made these comments so the OP would realize that he should not attempt a home repair. I've repaired a few bumpers that were damaged by a novice buffing them and softening/burning the paint due to excessive heat.

I did suggest that a painter should make this repair. Apparently there is some question as to the ability of the painter as he didn't match the texture the first time.
Old 12-29-09, 07:00 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Plastic bumper covers require flexible paints. Sikkens makes PlastoFlex which is what I've personally used. Ever used it? Just a FYI... You can't use the same paint on the plastic covers as you do on metal. You know that, right? The primer, base and clear are all flexible.

I'd suggest that you concentrate on the subject at hand and keep your rude name calling to yourself. It does nothing positive for the forum, your credibility nor the OP.

I made these comments so the OP would realize that he should not attempt a home repair. I've repaired a few bumpers that were damaged by a novice buffing them and softening/burning the paint due to excessive heat.

I did suggest that a painter should make this repair. Apparently there is some question as to the ability of the painter as he didn't match the texture the first time.
The paint shop at my dealer confirmed what Jim said here, that the paint is different(perhaps a flexible additive, I don't recall).

I and many others hope Jim continues to offer his insight.

He doesn't deserve this sort of attack.

Alan
Old 12-29-09, 09:24 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

there are dosens of different paint brands other than overpriced Sikkens,

FYI, Plastic bumpers use same base and clear as the metal parts,just add some flex agent in the mix, most shops do not use flex additives in their paints,simply because it's a hassle and todays clears/base are very flexible and do not require flex additives,maybe Sikkens clear is so brittle and prone to chipping that Sikkens chemists recommend adding flex agent to their materials,

rude name calling? I recall no such thing in my previous post.

I doubt OP was even considering home-fix the problem,especially when he just paid the professionals to paint his bumper

I'll also add,there is absolutely no need for unnecessary materials hosed on on any part of the car, new Lexus/Toyota bumpers need two coats of adhesion promoter followed by color and clear,there is no need for primer,

I've been using Plastic Magic for ages without any problems, no peeling,cracking or chipping, for plastic repair I use the best primer there is,it can be folded flat and rolled,tied into nuts and it will not crack,has amazing adhesion and can be sanded in 20 minutes,SW P30,for small touch ups I use SW GBP988 Self-Etching Primer

BTW,I've been doing everything from custom metal,composite fabrication,design,rotsserie restorations custom paint,collision repair and everything in between for last 20 years,so I know just about everything there is to know about materials,what works and what doesn't.I always look into new products and give them a try.

Stefan

Old 12-30-09, 03:02 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks again guys for the insight. I stopped by today and they said they'd take care of it no problem, but to bring the car back in 2 weeks so that the clear coat has time to cure before they start polishing/wetsanding/whatever it is that they do.

Glad I took issue with this now, because isthrizzy is right, if it bothers me now, it's going to keep bothering me.
Old 12-31-09, 09:41 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by brociouz
Thanks again guys for the insight. I stopped by today and they said they'd take care of it no problem, but to bring the car back in 2 weeks so that the clear coat has time to cure before they start polishing/wetsanding/whatever it is that they do.

Glad I took issue with this now, because isthrizzy is right, if it bothers me now, it's going to keep bothering me.
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Quick Reply: Orange peel following body shop repair - worth complaining?