Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

car wash/dry

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 01:00 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car wash/dry

i hope someone can help me. i want to use a touchless car wash or wash the car myself. problem is after the water is all over th car after the rinse and drys up and leaves dirt spots all over and on the windows. is there a fast way to dry the car off any tips? i go to this one car wash it blows the water off and they dry it after but it isnt touchless. it gave my last car a swirl. im trying to aviod this.
Old 12-28-09, 05:26 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eimann Fabrik Auto Spa Gentle Shampoo & Conditioner quickly removes the toughest road grime without using any strong, detergent, cleaners. Auto Spa Gentle Shampoo contains the latest in German surfactant technology and surface conditioning oils combined with TUFF SUDS II, an agent that puts cleaning punch in the suds' walls to clean with out surface abrasion.

This shampoo removes dirt and oily road grime but will not strip off existing wax or sealant coatings. Eimann Fabrik Auto Spa Gentle Shampoo is pH-neutral making it safe for all surfaces and creates mountains of suds even in hard water.

Formulated with TUFF SUDS II foaming technology, BLACKFIRE Gloss Shampoo creates mounds of rich suds, even in hard water. This new foaming technology uses cleaners and lubricating polymers suspended in the bubble's walls to scour away the toughest films and road grime without affecting the protective wax or sealant coating. You can feel the difference using a top quality shampoo. Your sponge or wash mitt just glides over the surface.

In addition, Gloss Shampoo is fortified with the same acrylic, super polymers used in All Finish Paint Protection. These polymers increase washing lubricity, encapsulating loosened grit to reduce washing swirls. They also improve water sheeting to prevent water spotting. This makes Gloss Shampoo an excellent choice for washing black, red and dark color vehicles.

Plus, a bonus!

Some of the polymers remain on the surface after drying, increasing surface luster and water sheeting. In addition to complimenting BLACKFIRE's shimmering gloss, these acrylic polymers can also be used over carnauba waxes making BLACKFIRE Gloss Shampoo a truly universal shampoo.

Meguiars Hyper-Wash is an extremely concentrated car soap which provides thick, rich suds even when diluted at a ratio of 400:1. Only one oz. of Meguiars Hyper wash is all you need when filling a 5 gallon wash bucket! Great for high-volume detail shops, one gallon of Meguiars Hyper-Wash provides enough soap concentrate to safely and gently clean over 100 vehicles. Meguiars Hyper-Wash is biodegradable and gentle to all paint finishes. Also I use a leaf blower to help drying the surface and to help in avoiding those water spots.

To reduce or eliminate washing swirls, you must keep removed grit in the wash bucket. This is accomplished by using the Grit Guard Insert in the wash bucket. This simple plastic grid sets in the bottom of your wash bucket.
As your sponge, wash mitt, pad or wash brush is rubbed against the Grit Guard Insert, gravity causes grit and sand particles to settle to the bottom of the pail.

Your wash water stays "scratch-free" clean! When you're done washing, you'll be amazed at how much grit and grime has settled in the bottom of your wash bucket.

Last edited by Angelo; 12-28-09 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 07:16 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

You can wash your car safely with just a bucket of water and the Optimum (OPT) No Rinse (ONR). It works great and is used by many professional detailers. I would suggest washing with a quality DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt or the Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge. Both are excellent tools and safe to use on the paint. Lastly I highly recommend drying with a DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel. They help safely absorb water quickly and easily. For more washing and drying tips please check out our detailing guide. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 12-28-09, 07:24 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Most of the touchless Laser washes around here use a spotless water rinse. This is de-ionized water that dries spot free. The laser Wshes use high volume air blowers to dry and no towels. That said, I usually try to go over my car with a Quik Detailer and/or a Quik Wax spray on/wipe off product (weather permitting) after these washes to keep the look and protection at it's best.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-28-09 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 07:47 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg0723
i hope someone can help me. i want to use a touchless car wash or wash the car myself. problem is after the water is all over th car after the rinse and drys up and leaves dirt spots all over and on the windows. is there a fast way to dry the car off any tips? i go to this one car wash it blows the water off and they dry it after but it isnt touchless. it gave my last car a swirl. im trying to aviod this.
Here's another idea...get a CR Spotless de-ionization system. If you couple the system with an inexpensive pressure washer from Lowe's or Home Depot, you can wash the whole car and not worry about water spots. Your technique is what's important in minimizing swirls. The trick is to flush the exterior panels you have washed and your wash mitt routinely as you're washing. For example, wash the hood, then rinse the hood, and rinse the wash mitt. This way, soap never dries on your car, you flushed off the dirt and and soap, and your wash mitt is always clean prior to dunking into the wash bucket. Using high quality microfibers are also key. Don't skimp on the towels as they are what touches the finish.

Here are some products to think about...

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...High%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ail-Kit/Detail
Old 12-28-09, 04:18 PM
redlight30
Driver

I was reading this thread and others on using the "laser" car washes and was wondering will these "laser" washes cause an issue with the venture shield or other protection film applications? With the amount of pressure could the film get lifted?

Living in Mass limits what I can outside but I did find a detailer who does hand washings inside, but I can't keep this guy on retainer all winter can I?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 01-03-10, 10:49 AM
waxinator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxinator

Originally Posted by greg0723
buy a car squeegee about $20 and a good quality chamois (I buy costo chamois, best chamois, best price) when you wash car yourself keep wetting the parts you have already washed, this keeps water spots from drying. when entire car is washed and rinsed use a soft blade car squeegee to get majority of water off and then take the chamois and very quickly wipe of excess..the whole trick is to not let any water dry by itself...before I go to any car wash i soak and wring out my chamois and take it with me...after the blower gets most of the water pull car over anywhere you can, jump out and wipe excess with chamois.......waxinator
Old 01-03-10, 01:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

on the DI microfiber waffle weave drying towel. No spots!
Old 01-04-10, 04:17 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by waxinator
buy a car squeegee about $20 and a good quality chamois (I buy costo chamois, best chamois, best price) when you wash car yourself keep wetting the parts you have already washed, this keeps water spots from drying. when entire car is washed and rinsed use a soft blade car squeegee to get majority of water off and then take the chamois and very quickly wipe of excess..the whole trick is to not let any water dry by itself...before I go to any car wash i soak and wring out my chamois and take it with me...after the blower gets most of the water pull car over anywhere you can, jump out and wipe excess with chamois.......waxinator
Um, I would actually not use your advice. For one, if a small rock gets trapped under that car squeegee, you will have a very nice gash in your paint. If you really want to have as little water on the paint as possible, use the water sheeting method. Also, that chamois has a higher chance of trapping/using whatever leftover dirt that is still left on the car than a quality waffleweave microfiber towel

To the OP, pick up a quality WW towel from one of our vendors. Keep that washed and clean in the trunk of your car in a small ziplock to bring out whenever you get these washes done
Old 01-04-10, 05:06 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Um, I would actually not use your advice. For one, if a small rock gets trapped under that car squeegee, you will have a very nice gash in your paint. If you really want to have as little water on the paint as possible, use the water sheeting method. Also, that chamois has a higher chance of trapping/using whatever leftover dirt that is still left on the car than a quality waffleweave microfiber towel

To the OP, pick up a quality WW towel from one of our vendors. Keep that washed and clean in the trunk of your car in a small ziplock to bring out whenever you get these washes done
+1

Absolutely agree.
Old 01-04-10, 09:57 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

How often do you clean your WW MFs? What do you use to clean it with?
Old 01-05-10, 05:34 AM
jfelbab

I usually use two large sized towels to dry a SUV. I wash them by hand after every use so as not to contaminate the towels with other product residues. I use Tide HE unscented liquid and a vinegar rinse.
Old 01-05-10, 05:46 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by eyezack87

+1...well-said.

Here are the towels that should be used to dry your car:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Core%2C/Detail