Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

removing bumper stickers - concerned about faded paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 02:21 AM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing bumper stickers - concerned about faded paint

To anyone who has removed a bumper sticker after a couple of years, I know its easy to remove the adhesive residue without damage to paint.
Is the paint often damaged behind the stick or a different shade than the rest of the bumper?
Thanks
Old 12-28-09, 03:23 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've saturated stickers with vinegar and it seems to do the job without leaving any residue.

cheap and effective.

might be different shade from oxidation depending on how many years its been on.
Old 12-28-09, 08:09 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gandro
To anyone who has removed a bumper sticker after a couple of years, I know its easy to remove the adhesive residue without damage to paint.
Is the paint often damaged behind the stick or a different shade than the rest of the bumper?
Thanks
It really depends on the color of the car, how long its been on there, and if the car sits out in the sun a lot. Ive removed decals off of some cars and there was no difference, and on others it will leave a "ghost" which usually can be removed by polishing the area. I wouldnt call it "damaged" though.
Old 12-28-09, 09:44 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billy@ProperAutoCare
It really depends on the color of the car, how long its been on there, and if the car sits out in the sun a lot. Ive removed decals off of some cars and there was no difference, and on others it will leave a "ghost" which usually can be removed by polishing the area. I wouldnt call it "damaged" though.
+1...it all depends on how much exposure to the sun the paint has gotten over the years.