Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Getting Your Money's Worth

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 10:39 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting Your Money's Worth

A little something that I would like to share with you fellas. Today I took my car out to the touchless car wash to remove the salt & grime on the paint and what have you. After the undercarriage wash and initial spray down of water, the next stage is the dispensing of soap. I watched (as I always do) the robotic arm slowly pass my car on all sides, front & back spit out nothing but mist. That mist was suppose to be soap. The same thing occurred when it was time to apply the clearcoat protectant. After it was done I got out and sure enough there was still residue on my car. It was like throwing a bucket of water on a car that just came from muddy off-roading. I took my receipt to a worker there and explained to him what happened. The worker recognized me (and my car) had apologized and gave me a refund. This is the second time within 6 months that I had a problem with that same LaserWash. The first time it happened, the machine never sprayed the Rain-X solution that I paid extra for although the light for Rain-X clearly came on. I don't know if the people were trying to cut corners or if the machine just simply ran out of soap solution. There were many other people in line waiting and two people asked me what was going on. After telling these two what happened they decided to go elsewhere.

I then went to another touchless car wash that opened up several months ago but is a little further from me. The two places are owned by the same guy but the touchless system at this other place seemed better. The system there is called the Typhoon made by a company called Oasis.

Moral of the story is after having these kind of things happen to me while at more than one car wash joints, I always make sure my car is getting what I paid for. Make sure you keep any eagle out too if should happen to bring your ride to a car wash
Old 01-10-10, 10:51 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Why did you used the coin op at the bay wash area? It's better cause you're doing it yourself.
Old 01-10-10, 11:09 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Why did you used the coin op at the bay wash area? It's better cause you're doing it yourself.
No thanks! In the low 20's with some wind... too cold for me.
Old 01-10-10, 09:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad you caught this as most of us probably wouldn't.. We all want what we pay for..
Old 01-10-10, 10:54 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad weather here is so nice. I definitely get what I paid for all my detailing stuff lol...
Old 01-11-10, 03:24 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

i use onr opti no rinse it works great and you dont need a hose
Old 01-12-10, 05:58 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, you run the risk of harsh cleaning chemicals damaging rubber seals and trim pieces on your car as well as extreme pressures marring your clear coat. I stay away from those places.
Old 01-14-10, 10:14 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
Also, you run the risk of harsh cleaning chemicals damaging rubber seals and trim pieces on your car as well as extreme pressures marring your clear coat. I stay away from those places.
During the winter do you brave the elements and wash your vehicle outside?
Old 01-14-10, 12:02 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
During the winter do you brave the elements and wash your vehicle outside?
I have clients I wash all winter long and let me tell you lmao. Even with hot water and ONR the water was freezing on the car. It is not for everyone and a wash wax and interior took like 3 hours due to it lol.
Old 01-14-10, 12:23 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i just washed my car yesterday (ONR FTW!) and no joke, the car was icing up as i was drying it.
Old 01-14-10, 06:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I wash my RX when temps are 35 or above. Only problems are not being able to use the leaf blower to dry and ice on the ground from the water. One of these days I'm going to do the limbo right under the car For icing I turn the car on for a few minutes. It also prevents the doors/windows from freezing up. What can I say, I'm old school, no ONR for me. And car washes are out of the question.

At least the weather is warming up for us here in the northeast. I'll be out there Saturday. Nothing better than having a nice clean ride while all the other cars are covered in salt.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-14-10 at 06:28 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-15-10, 06:05 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
I have clients I wash all winter long and let me tell you lmao. Even with hot water and ONR the water was freezing on the car. It is not for everyone and a wash wax and interior took like 3 hours due to it lol.
Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i just washed my car yesterday (ONR FTW!) and no joke, the car was icing up as i was drying it.
We were still in the 20's when I created this thread and washing it outside was not option. As you guys said, the water freezing up on the car & also on the ground is my issue. Kudos to you guys!

Originally Posted by kitlz
At least the weather is warming up for us here in the northeast. I'll be out there Saturday. Nothing better than having a nice clean ride while all the other cars are covered in salt.
Washing mine today or Saturday too. I can deal with the temperature in the 40's