Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

RV Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10 | 10:27 PM
AceVA
Driver

Default RV Help

I know this isn't Lexus related - but we have some genuine experts here, so I'm hoping for help.

Cars - I have no problem with. I have a wall full of products from Zaino to Pinnacle to Autoglym.

The RV, however, is 45' and not something I'm physically able to do my usual 3-5 step process on. It is full body paint.

I'm looking for the best balance between protection and correction with a one-step product. (I just don't have the energy I once did to carry out more than that.)

The paint is not in terrible condition, no terrible oxidation or anything of the like. I keep it up fairly well. Because of the nature of RVs, however, there are a few "black streaks" from rain draining that wasn't immediately distressed. It won't wash off, but will polish off.

What do you recommend as a one-step product that's easy to work with on a 45' long by 13' tall motorhome?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Old 02-08-10 | 01:48 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

I'd recommend washing with the Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun. It will help pre-soak the paint and will make the washing process go much quicker.

As for the protection and cleaning I would suggest a good AIO (chemical polish and sealant). These products help remove oxidation, light build ups that really enhance the shine. They also leave a strong coating of protection that lasts for months. The Optimum (OPT) Poli-Seal is a great value! Let me know if you have other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-08-10 | 04:16 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

I do agreed with Greg on this with a Foam Gun, but here is another option for you to wash and polish, Here is the Adjust-a-Brush Flow thru Water Brush which the handle is made of premium grade, drawn aluminum tubing which is stronger than extruded. The tubing is anodized which offers the best protection against corrosion and included two, vinyl, non-slip hand grips.

The handle telescopes from 36 inches to 72 inches and locks into position with a quick twist. Once locked, the joint is completely leak free. The feature I really like about this brush is the patented, water control system built into the hose connector. Simply rotate the hose connector to control the water flow.

At full pressure, clear rinse water shoots from the brush's center without flushing soapy solution from the bristles The brush end is made out of a lightweight, polypropylene block with a wrap around bumper to protect against accidental bumps. The feathered, flagged-tip bristles were selected for durability, water holding properties and gentleness.

Bottom line, this is the best telescoping, flow-thru handle and brush set you can buy. It's perfect for washing RV's and boats.

Also on the polishing part the I recommend the Meguiar's G110 V2 polisher , the Flex DA polisher or a Rotary Polisher with Lake Country Polishing pads with Meg's D151 or other proper compounds/polishes for your RV. Give us a call we're be happy to assist you in your RV care.

Last edited by Angelo; 02-09-10 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-08-10 | 08:40 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Weird thing, I was lying in bed last night and couldn't sleep then this thread came back into my mind and I came up with a solution for you haha...

Meguiars D151 is a polish/wax. Its a great one step
Old 02-09-10 | 12:46 AM
AceVA
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Weird thing, I was lying in bed last night and couldn't sleep then this thread came back into my mind and I came up with a solution for you haha...

Meguiars D151 is a polish/wax. Its a great one step
Haha - that's a sign of a forum addict!

Thank you very much for the tip. I just looked this up and it seems to be easy to work with and won't taint the trim. Will definitely give this a try, thanks!

Greg - I love Opti-Seal, I may give that a shot as well... who knows, maybe I'll do one side of the coach with D151 and the other with Opti... we'll see how they hold up in a harsh environment like a motorhome.

Angelo - way ahead of you, my friend... I wouldn't leave home without that brush! I also ordered the Flex from you before the holidays and that's been a lifesaver too.

Thanks guys! If we ever get a break in the weather, I'll be trying this stuff and will let you know how it goes.
Old 02-09-10 | 02:37 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

More like a detailing addict. I keep making special batches of polishes, glazes, and waxes with what I currently have to make super products. Its nice to practice what I hope to be doing later when I graduate
Old 02-13-10 | 12:04 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
More like a detailing addict. I keep making special batches of polishes, glazes, and waxes with what I currently have to make super products. Its nice to practice what I hope to be doing later when I graduate
are you saying you mix products to get a super AIO product? you really are a detailing addict.
Old 02-13-10 | 04:04 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by varcity64
are you saying you mix products to get a super AIO product? you really are a detailing addict.
I'm hoping to enter the Nano market of car care or alternative fuels when I graduate

And yeah, I supercharge waxes all the time with slight additions of raw carnauba flake. I made some stuff the other day that rivaled Zymol Vintage in looks/sheeting ability. Too bad I didn't write down how much I added lol...