Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Touch up pen

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 07:27 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Touch up pen

What is the proper way to touch-up stone chips ? use both the color and clear, what is the best result ? i did the color alone and you can see it from far.
Old 02-09-10, 07:55 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly Toyota/Lexus pens have clear mixed into them. But, it wouldn't hurt to go with a clear pen anyway...

For me, its prep the surface, apply small layer, wait for it to dry, apply another small layer, etc until it fills up. After, I just wetsand the surface to level it out then buff it smooth. Most of the time it works but it also depends on how bad the sun faded your paint
Old 02-09-10, 10:21 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered some touch up from dr. ColorChip, seems like a good way to touch up your car.
Old 02-10-10, 12:40 AM
Karlsbad
Driver School Candidate

Default Touch Up Stone Chips

How convincing the final result is depends on the color. Dark solid colors tend to come out better. Metallics are tricky. Even mobile Pros can't make stone chip repairs or deep scratch repairs "invisible" put your face in it and you will see them. (unless they do essentially a mini body shop repair --spot repair then blend spray color base and then spot blend clear) You can try filling the chip partially with color, let it dry at least 24 hrs then fill level with clear and preferably use a blending solvent to perfectly level it to the surrounding paint level (pros use over spray remover solvent). Wet sanding is really not the way to go for chips bc it is slow and will needlessly affect the surrounding clear coat which then requires polishing. Also for chips Pros use a thickner/hardener which makes the paint dry very fast and stay in the chip --you get about 10 minutes of working time-- (something Langka and similar "blob remover" products don't give you and don't tell you about either). Thats why consumers using those products have a hard time getting good results...the paint takes forever to fully cure by itself. The thickener/hardener is the secret to how a good mobile Pro can knock out a road rash hood in 30 min (start to finish) and walk away. Also when a mobile pro does chip repair they use a special rubber squeege to press the thickened paint into the chips which fills and levels all in one application...then in approx 10-15 minutes followed with the overspray solvent to remove excess paint. This is what dealers have done to trade ins to get them on the lot fast without sending to the body shop ...looks good, fast and much cheaper than time in the body shop.
Old 02-10-10, 05:36 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

Basically, the least complicated method is to use the smallest implement possible to spread the paint, and TAKE YOUR TIME.

Go to any craft store and get the smallest paint brush that you can fine. I mean small, like the tip of a very sharp pencil small.

Pour some of the touch up paint into a small tray so you can apply very little of it. Don't try dipping the paint brush into the touch up container, you won't see where the surface of the paint is in the container and you will overapply the paint to the brush.

Using very little paint with your very tiny brush, slowly fill in the chips one small piece at a time.

Obviously the results won't be what a body shop would do, simply because the process is very different, but this is the most effective way to fill in Stone Chips on your own.
Old 02-10-10, 09:29 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Wondering???

Do Lexus service departments do paint chip repairs?
Old 02-10-10, 10:13 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

^^Yup. For $$ and I believe it was fairly expensive iirc
Old 02-10-10, 10:57 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

I had the dealer touch up my chips and they didnt charge me anything.
Old 02-11-10, 09:59 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

^^My local areas do. And they don't bother with sanding/polishing either. Its literally, touch up and thats it
Old 02-11-10, 12:39 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

^^^True I never said they did a good job, all my chips that were touched up are not anymore.
Old 02-11-10, 02:27 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

got soo many rock chips on the sides of the front bumper that I said forget it about it. Lol
Old 02-11-10, 08:57 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus 1
Do Lexus service departments do paint chip repairs?

Thanks for the replies
Old 02-12-10, 03:22 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
I ordered some touch up from dr. ColorChip, seems like a good way to touch up your car.
I use Dr Colorchip often and the results are amazing. I would never, ever, use another touch up paint system ever again. Period
Old 04-01-10, 07:00 PM
deedeedum
Driver School Candidate

The pens are great but sometimes you need to add in paint, as a sort of filler, to the skin... just a suggestion. Duplicolor makes some nice paint

Last edited by deedeedum; 04-06-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-01-10, 09:43 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any of you vendors sell dr colorchip?

Quick Reply: Touch up pen