Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Pre-Treating Products?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 04:27 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-Treating Products?

After two major snowstorms over the last two weeks there is still a lot of snow & salt on the roads here. I was wondering if there are products available that I can spray on areas of my car that have the most dried up salt/brine residue. See I'm still using touchless washes since its still cold and it doesn't totally remove the residue to my liking. I pre-treat my wheels with P21S just before I enter the wash and I want to do the same for areas of the body with another product. The only product I looked at was Tarminator but I decided not to buy it. I'm looking for something in an aerosol can or plastic bottle with trigger that I can just spray on the car moments before I enter the wash.
Old 02-18-10, 08:52 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
After two major snowstorms over the last two weeks there is still a lot of snow & salt on the roads here. I was wondering if there are products available that I can spray on areas of my car that have the most dried up salt/brine residue. See I'm still using touchless washes since its still cold and it doesn't totally remove the residue to my liking. I pre-treat my wheels with P21S just before I enter the wash and I want to do the same for areas of the body with another product. The only product I looked at was Tarminator but I decided not to buy it. I'm looking for something in an aerosol can or plastic bottle with trigger that I can just spray on the car moments before I enter the wash.
There are a ton of great products out there to use before a wash to help loosen up stubborn build ups. The P21S Total Auto Wash is always a favorite because it's very gentle and versatile cleaner. The Chemical Guys Grime Reaper A.P.C. is a really strong cleaner you can use to pre-treat your car with before one of those washes. Just spray them on the panels and the wash should be even more effective. You can also do this before hand washing your vehicle for improved results.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-18-10, 09:25 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to second the suggestion for the P21S Total Auto Wash. That should loosen up everything that is on the paint before you give it a hearty rinse to remove as much as possible.

You need to be conscious of the total impact of the Auto Wash however. It is great for loosening up the dirt and grime, but it is also great for removing your wax layer. We use it as a prep for our details, so removing the wax isn't a big deal, actually it is a necessary step. So if you don't mind re-applying your surface protection then I think it would be a great choice.
Old 02-20-10, 08:39 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Thank you for the suggestions gents!
Old 02-20-10, 12:06 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

If you have a pressure washer, a foam cannon will be cheaper in the long run (not to mention more fun). Its what I use for pre-treating my paint before I wash it. I just shoot either a strong soap or an APC such as Optimum Power Clean through it
Old 02-20-10, 03:17 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
If you have a pressure washer, a foam cannon will be cheaper in the long run (not to mention more fun). Its what I use for pre-treating my paint before I wash it. I just shoot either a strong soap or an APC such as Optimum Power Clean through it
Northeast winters = Water off due to pipes freezing and bursting so we can only use ONR my car needs a fresh detail lol.
Old 02-20-10, 05:12 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, if thats the case, mix up a gallon of ONR QD dilution, put it in a pump sprayer (found at any hardware store), and pretreat using that. That should help make things easier for you guys with frozen pipes. I do that in parking lots when I haven't had time to wash for weeks before a meet. After, I just do a normal ONR wash and it helps cut down on marring
Old 02-20-10, 08:29 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

yea thats the method Ive been doing and it seems to work the best. Lowes has better sprayers since its a metal tip as opposed to the plastic ones at home depot that stopped working on me.