Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Learn How to Wash and Wax in under 60 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 10:28 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Learn How to Wash and Wax in under 60 minutes

New Ask A Pro Article with DJ Mayo
Everyone wants great results in the least amount of time. Learn how to Wash and Wax your car in under 60 minutes with Professional Detailer DJ Mayo. He shares with you his exact routine and products involved for top quality results. He uses a lot of Optimum products so it's a great time to stock up with our current sale (25% off Optimum). If you would like to use the same products he did check out our Optimum Wash and Wax Kit. If you have any questions about his process you can ask him directly at the bottom of his article or let me know. Thank you for reading and I hope it helps your detailing routine.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-24-10, 10:53 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In one of the comments below the article, DJ Mayo talks about touchless washes, stating "Sometimes the “foam” that these places use are strong and will strip any previous protection."
I use touchless carwashes most of the time, and once in a while I will wash & detail a vehicle myself. Am I really wasting my hard work the first time I use an automatic carwash? Is there a good way to tell if I've done more harm than good? Long shot: is there any reference that lists what "brands" of touchless carwashes are harsher than others?
Old 02-25-10, 08:01 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbondioli
In one of the comments below the article, DJ Mayo talks about touchless washes, stating "Sometimes the “foam” that these places use are strong and will strip any previous protection."
I use touchless carwashes most of the time, and once in a while I will wash & detail a vehicle myself. Am I really wasting my hard work the first time I use an automatic carwash? Is there a good way to tell if I've done more harm than good? Long shot: is there any reference that lists what "brands" of touchless carwashes are harsher than others?
Great question. The answer unfortunately varies by each car wash. Most car wash owners want to make sure your car is really clean so they have traditionally preferred stronger shampoos. My understanding is more of the washes are shifting towards shampoos that are more gentle, however many still use stronger shampoos. To know for sure you would probably have to ask your local car wash. It's hard to know for sure if it is stripping it off unless you pay real careful attention. I generally mist some water on my paint and study the beading action and how it rolls off after a fresh detail, if this changes after the wash then it may have a shampoo that strips protection. It's also possible it only removes some of the protection and not all of it, it really just depends on the specific wash. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-25-10, 02:53 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can speak to the owner of the touchless car wash I go to and ask about the shampoo they use.