Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ink on leather - please share what worked

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 12:39 PM
myes350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink on leather - please share what worked

Someone had a pen in their back pocket and there is some pen marks on my leather seats. From a search of the archives, people recommend to try everything from simple organge, to hair spray, to rubbing alcohol.
I want to know from people who actually had ink stains on their leather, what worked well (that also didn't ruin the leather). Thanks
Old 02-27-10, 02:23 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk how severe it is but I have removed ink from leather with a steamer.
Old 02-27-10, 03:55 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Isopropyl alcohol but you need to do this with repeated steps. Ink has probably penetrated the urethane coating and only by using several applications of ISO can you leach it out. Apply a good protectant and these stains will be easily removed in the future. I use Leather Master Protection Cream for this. It's like a paint sealant for your leather.
Old 02-28-10, 09:41 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I start cleaning with my normal products (Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil) to see how that works. If that does not work I use the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. I spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe the surface from multiple different angles. Multiple applications may be needed to get it fully out. However you have to be careful you don't scrub too hard. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-28-10, 10:18 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I use Isopropyl alcohol but you need to do this with repeated steps. Ink has probably penetrated the urethane coating and only by using several applications of ISO can you leach it out. Apply a good protectant and these stains will be easily removed in the future. I use Leather Master Protection Cream for this. It's like a paint sealant for your leather.
Not sure what year/make/model the OP has, but i can say with 100% certainty that this works. i had a 2000 GS300 with black leather and the same exact thing happened to me - someone sat in my car with a pen in their pocket and next thing you know, it looked like someone used my seats as a sketch pad. i tried many different leather cleaners/conditioners to no avail and was very upset. Then i read this tip on this site and was very skeptical, but desperate. sure enough, with very little effort, it took the ink right off. the only thing i would say is to use a leather conditioner after you are done. let us know how it works out for you

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
I start cleaning with my normal products (Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil) to see how that works. If that does not work I use the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. I spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe the surface from multiple different angles. Multiple applications may be needed to get it fully out. However you have to be careful you don't scrub too hard. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
i actually purchased the spot remover, but thought it was more for carpets only can it really be used on leather as well? and at what stregth? thanks.
Old 03-01-10, 05:19 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by varcity64
i actually purchased the spot remover, but thought it was more for carpets only can it really be used on leather as well? and at what stregth? thanks.
It's designed for carpets and vinyl primarily, but I've used it to spot treat stains on seats before. I always condition them after because it's not really great for the long term health of the leather with repeated use. The Cleaner and Spot Remover is already diluted so it's fine to use, but the 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner should be diluted at least 8:1. If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-01-10, 10:44 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myes350
Someone had a pen in their back pocket and there is some pen marks on my leather seats. From a search of the archives, people recommend to try everything from simple organge, to hair spray, to rubbing alcohol.
I want to know from people who actually had ink stains on their leather, what worked well (that also didn't ruin the leather). Thanks
make the person take the bus as punishment or ride coach(the trunk). haha
Old 03-03-10, 10:56 AM
arnelabano
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

My son found a pen in the car and started drawing on the seats. We had the Magic Eraser in the house, but never really used it. Simply wet the sponge and start rubbing on the marks and they disappeared. Good Luck
Old 03-03-10, 11:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Anytime you use an abrasive product, like the Magic Eraser, on your protected leather you are removing some of the painted urethane coating that has been applied. This will shorten the life of the seats in that area and once that painted finish is roughed up it will soil faster as well. If you are not careful you could remove all of the coating and expose the raw split leather hide underneath. That coating is only a couple mills thick and it doesn't take much to go right through it as it is textured. I'd recommend you stick with chemical cleaning agents and skip the abrasives. Using a Magic Eraser on your coated leather is akin to using a Brillo pad on your paint.