Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

old road striping paint on car...how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 12:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default old road striping paint on car...how to remove?

I bought a used Prius a few months ago that has some white road striping paint splashed up on the side of the car....

I've never heard of using vaseline on it...then powerwashing to remove...

PROCEDURES FOR REMOVING ROAD PAINT FROM CARS

* As soon as possible after getting road stripe paint on any vehicle wash the vehicle at a pressure car wash. Doing this should loosen and remove most of the paint unless it has dried for more than a day.
* If the pressure car wash does not remove the road stripe paint, allow the water to dry and then spray the residue with WD-40 and allow the WD-40 to stay on the area for 1-2 hours and then rewash the vehicle. The WD-40 usually softens the road striping paint without hurting the vehicle finish. If there is a heavy concentration of paint the procedure can be repeated.
* For paint that has dried for several days or very heavy accumulations, apply a generous coating of petroleum jelly (vaseline) to the dried road striping paint. Allow it to stay on for 8 to 12 hours to soften the paint and then take the vehicle to a pressure car wash and wash it. This should remove most of the road striping paint. If necessary, repeat the procedure.
Old 03-05-10, 12:42 PM
cmichael
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-10, 01:03 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've used claybar effectively on yellow road paint on the quarters of the car, and I know that the Stoner's Tar & Bugguts remover works pretty well. I wouldn't think of using petroleum jelly on it, mostly out of concern for it getting allover and being more challenging to remove thoroughly. To each his own, I suppose.

Good to share either way, though.

Big Mack