Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

2 Detailing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 03:59 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Detailing Questions

I took in my IS-F to the dealer for a free car wash and they used a shine/gloss on the tires that I absolutely love because it remains shiny for a long time.

1) Does anyone know what they use and where I can possibly purchase? I have used armor-all, black magic, and meguiar's tire gloss and none have worked to my liking. I presume they use some professional level tire product but im not sure.

2) Does anyone know of a good detailer thats not too over priced in the socal area? My paint is begging for a complete detail

Mods: Please move if this is posted in the wrong section.
Old 03-17-10, 04:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1) there is no "standard" one that dealerships use. they all use their own stuff of their choice. i don't know which one specifically you have used. i most of the time use meguiar's and they usually stay for quite a while, at least a few washes

2) seriously, you get what you pay for on detailing. good detailing always cost quite a bit of money. but good thing is you have mercury metallic, that helps hide a lot of the imperfections
Old 03-17-10, 04:44 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just take it to a professional detailer. no need to take it to the dealership to get it detail unless u need a loaner. the product varies and im sure you can ask what they use so u can purchase the product urself.
Old 03-17-10, 08:37 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

with MM, its very difficult to see, but on a darker color like obsidian, i saw so many swirls from the one time i went to have my F washed at the dealer. it was the day i got my car, and i looked thoroughly around the car and there were a few spots that had swirls already. since then, ive always detailed the car myself. its a PITA with obsidian, but it looks great every single time!

as far as the tire dressing, ive noticed my armor all works pretty well....lasts a good month or so with constant driving. my friends prefer meguiar's and swear by it. it depends on you with which one you want to use. i agree- the shine off tires is so sexy! and with regards to the detailer, i know this one guy who seemingly thats all he does is detail cars. he lives in temple city, and ive been wanting to see his work for awhile. he said he didnt have business cards at the time, but i knew awhile back that he'd start it up as a business and not just a hobby. if i ever find him, ill tell him about potential clients here.
Old 03-18-10, 10:27 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Beverly Hills washed my car for free even though I didnt purchase it from them nor had any service done. The advisor said I can bring it in any time. Is this common practice at all Lexus dealerships or just @ BH?
Old 03-18-10, 08:01 PM
is-fowner
Driver

im not from california but am quite the detailer you should go to Autopia.org and find a detailer and for tire shine try this.....http://autogeek.net/piblontigel.html sure quite a bit of cure time but me and my son only put it on when we go to car shows together. looks glossy and stays on for about 2-3 weeks
Old 03-19-10, 10:11 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I was wondering the same thing after a recent service - they did a great job on the tires and wheels. I'll ask next time I'm in.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
with MM, its very difficult to see, but on a darker color like obsidian, i saw so many swirls from the one time i went to have my F washed at the dealer.
That's pretty lame - my dealer does a great job washing the F, although I prefer just to wash it with ONR myself.

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
Beverly Hills washed my car for free even though I didnt purchase it from them nor had any service done. The advisor said I can bring it in any time. Is this common practice at all Lexus dealerships or just @ BH?
My dealership also offers free car washes despite my not buying the car from them, which surprised me because I thought that was a perk generally limited to those who bought from the dealership. I do all scheduled maintenance at that dealer though - dunno if they would wash cars of people who don't have a service record there.
Old 03-19-10, 10:49 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

pm eyezack87 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...eyezack87.html), hes in socal and a detailing fanatic! tell him LiCelsior or Joe sent you and he'll hook it up.
Old 03-19-10, 11:13 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

well save yourself some money and get clay bar and water it down and rubb the tar off off it with the clay bar when wet must be wet! After you can buff it if you have a buffer or go to the store and by hand glaze rub some on the car one panel at a time really fast then wipe it off. As for the tires at my shop we use a water based tire dresser but you can use any tire dresser and let it sit will you wipe down the car then wipe the tire dressing around the tire. This is just an easy way to do it will come out nice pm for more questions i know a little bit i can try to help. Good luck!
Old 03-19-10, 11:38 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're in the 626 area Edwinbong on CL can help you out as well. He has a lot of higher end waxes such as SwissVax Devine and Zymol Concourso ect. I have a feeling they used some sort of Automagic product on your tires
Old 03-20-10, 11:17 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the responses guys!