Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirls on glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 09:23 AM
mou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirls on glass

I was wondering if there's a way to get rid of the swirl marks off the glass. The swirls don't appear during hot, dry days but is visible on cold, wet days. I've tried washing it off but it'll only make more swirls. My only guess is that I'm cleaning it wrong.
Old 03-18-10, 12:15 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

try using a different glass cleaner with a clean towel, glass is hard to scratch and once it is scratched, it'ld be there all the time. just sounds like streaks to me.
Old 03-18-10, 05:14 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Yes there is. Our Professional Glass Polishing Kit will help remove the swirls on the glass, as long their not deep scratches. Here's a brief summary on them.

We offer two Professional Glass Polishing Systems developed by Lake Country Mfg. Both kits require the use of a machine polisher (not included in the kit). The products in these kits can not be applied by hand and can not be applied with an electric drill. The only difference between the two kits is the backing plate. One kit is designed for use with a professional circular polisher and the other kit is designed to be used with a dual action machine like the Porter Cable 7424.

These kits contain:

* 4 oz. Glass Polish
* Two (2) Glass Polishing Discs
* Rain-X Final Sealant
* Sealant Foam Applicator
* Hook-and-Loop Backing Plate (select for Porter Cable 7424 or rotary polisher.

Here's link to them, check it out.....
http://properautocare.com/prglpoki.html
Old 03-19-10, 06:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by moukun
I was wondering if there's a way to get rid of the swirl marks off the glass. The swirls don't appear during hot, dry days but is visible on cold, wet days. I've tried washing it off but it'll only make more swirls. My only guess is that I'm cleaning it wrong.
What are you using to clean your glass? Sounds like it is leaving something behind.

Go buy some Stoners "Invisible Glass" and a few short nap microfiber towels. Use good microfiber towels for this not the cheap ones. Cheap towels will often leave MF fibers behind on the glass.

Launder the microfibers before using and be sure to never wash them with anything else. MF towels pick up lint from other fabrics and will deposit it on the glass forever after. I hand wash them in Woolite HE and rinse then with white vinegar to keep them soft and absorbent as well as to aid in rinsing all the detergent from the towel. I always keep these towels separate from my other MF towels and store them in a few zip-loc bags.

Wash your glass when it is cool and do this in the shade. Use one towel moistened with the IG and dry with the second MF. Use horizontal strokes on the inside and vertical strokes on the outside. This will shoe you where you might have streaks to address when you finish. When finished pull the car out into the sun and inspect for streaks. Re-apply the moist MF and remove with the dry again if there are streaks.

When clean, the dry MF will glide smoothly across the glass with no grabbing. If you are feeling the MF grab, re-clean the glass and try drying again with gentle pressure on the drying towel.

To keep your glass from filming up try to use vinyl and leather dressing products that don't outgas in the heat.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-19-10 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-20-10, 03:09 AM
mou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
What are you using to clean your glass? Sounds like it is leaving something behind.

Go buy some Stoners "Invisible Glass" and a few short nap microfiber towels. Use good microfiber towels for this not the cheap ones. Cheap towels will often leave MF fibers behind on the glass.

Launder the microfibers before using and be sure to never wash them with anything else. MF towels pick up lint from other fabrics and will deposit it on the glass forever after. I hand wash them in Woolite HE and rinse then with white vinegar to keep them soft and absorbent as well as to aid in rinsing all the detergent from the towel. I always keep these towels separate from my other MF towels and store them in a few zip-loc bags.

Wash your glass when it is cool and do this in the shade. Use one towel moistened with the IG and dry with the second MF. Use horizontal strokes on the inside and vertical strokes on the outside. This will shoe you where you might have streaks to address when you finish. When finished pull the car out into the sun and inspect for streaks. Re-apply the moist MF and remove with the dry again if there are streaks.

When clean, the dry MF will glide smoothly across the glass with no grabbing. If you are feeling the MF grab, re-clean the glass and try drying again with gentle pressure on the drying towel.

To keep your glass from filming up try to use vinyl and leather dressing products that don't outgas in the heat.
awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll try this out the next time I clean my car.
Old 03-20-10, 08:21 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfelbab

+1...by swirls, do you mean light streaks? When the sun hits the glass, are you seeing actual scratches in the glass? Otherwise, what the above suggestion mentions should be a great start on fixing your issue.

Here are the MF glass towels we carry:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...s-Towel/Detail

They are made of high quality MF that has no nap....so no lint left behind.
Old 03-20-10, 10:18 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelo@ProperAutoCare
Yes there is. Our Professional Glass Polishing Kit will help remove the swirls on the glass, as long their not deep scratches. Here's a brief summary on them.

We offer two Professional Glass Polishing Systems developed by Lake Country Mfg. Both kits require the use of a machine polisher (not included in the kit). The products in these kits can not be applied by hand and can not be applied with an electric drill. The only difference between the two kits is the backing plate. One kit is designed for use with a professional circular polisher and the other kit is designed to be used with a dual action machine like the Porter Cable 7424.

These kits contain:

* 4 oz. Glass Polish
* Two (2) Glass Polishing Discs
* Rain-X Final Sealant
* Sealant Foam Applicator
* Hook-and-Loop Backing Plate (select for Porter Cable 7424 or rotary polisher.

Here's link to them, check it out.....
http://properautocare.com/prglpoki.html
this may be a dumb question, but which kit would you purchase for those that own the flex vrg? i cannot change my packing plate. thanks.
Old 03-20-10, 04:34 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

I hadn't found a kit for the Flex, but I will ask our friends at Lake Country about looking into this for you. You can use AutoGlym Glass Polish by hand but be prepare to lose your arm.
Old 03-21-10, 03:55 PM
mou
Pole Position

Oh, they werent scratches but just dirt. It was probably my MF towels, I've been using the costco packs. Sorry for the confusion on that
Old 03-22-10, 04:03 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

Glad it was just dirt. I would've been concern if your products were leaving swirls on glass. I didn't even know that was even possible.