Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

waxing my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 08:15 PM
NiceGS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing my car

i have a 2006 gs300 awd i always wash and detail my car myself i want to know if i should wax it? i never did what brand should i use will be good and safe? and how often should i do ?
Old 03-22-10, 08:52 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No brainer, yes. I don't see why you've never done it before. Favorite two waxes would be Dodo Juice's SuperNatural and Wolfgang's Fuzion Estate Wax. If you want something cheaper, I would try P21S. Personally, I don't really like sealants. Zaino, gives a pretty reflective look, but it looks pretty flat and sterile. Ultima PGP is a little better than Zaino, but share with some of it's drawbacks.
Old 03-22-10, 10:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes you should wax it to protect the cars paint and to enhance the look of the vehicle. I use AutoGlym high definition wax. Its not cheap but can now even be purchased at Wal Mart. For polish I recommend Zaino only
Old 03-22-10, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

moved to right location
Old 03-23-10, 12:08 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

wax will keep your car protected..so in a nutshell yes. there are many waxes out there, all depends on how often you would wanna apply, what kinda look you want to achieve, what types of elements that car will sit in, etc.
Old 03-23-10, 12:52 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Yes you should wax it to protect the cars paint and to enhance the look of the vehicle. I use AutoGlym high definition wax. Its not cheap but can now even be purchased at Wal Mart. For polish I recommend Zaino only
AutoGlym HD Wax is is pretty good wax if you want to get something better than P21s, but cheaper than Supernatural or Fuzion. It also depends on what color car you have. I would not recommend Zaino for a polish. Zaino isn't much of a polish. It's more of a chemical polish and has minimal cut. If you're looking for a polish that would get rid of scratches or swirls, I would use Menzerma Super Intensive Polish and finish with Nano. A good place to shop for supplies would be at http://www.autogeek.net

Most of the stuff found over the counter aren't really that good to be honest so it's a good chance you'll find something that spectacular OTC. If you're looking to educate yourself about these products, http://www.autopia.org is a great site for that.
Old 03-23-10, 08:16 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceGS300
i have a 2006 gs300 awd i always wash and detail my car myself i want to know if i should wax it? i never did what brand should i use will be good and safe? and how often should i do ?
Almost any quality brand should provide a safe line of products. I'll outline some products which are totally safe and highly effective for your gs. The DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package has all the basics you need for a quality washing and drying job. We also have step by step instructions on our detailing guide - washing and drying section.

After the vehicle is dry you can protect it with a sealant or wax. Sealants are essentially artificial waxes that will last far longer than most natural carnauba waxes. I highly recommend Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger or the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. Both of these apply very easy, provide durable protection and look outstanding! Just pour a few small drops on an applicator pad (DI Accessories Foam Applicator Pad) and buff it on with light pressure. Wait about 15 - 20 minutes and remove the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These microfiber towels are completely paint safe and highly effective! When you are done step back and admire a beautiful shine!

If you have any questions about these products or the process you can ask me or check out our site. As always ClubLexus members get a 10% discount on almost all items with the coupon code (10offCL), but it excludes Kits, sale items and tools. Thanks for posting and I look forward to hearing from you.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-23-10, 04:54 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Waxes.....Well here goes: The best carnauba waxes create a deeper, darker, richer "wet-looking" shine that compliments black, red and dark color finishes. Carnauba waxes tend to hide very minor swirls and paint imperfections and bead water on the surface.

On the minus side, carnauba waxes tend to last 20-90 days or even less, and may create chalky-white residues which might stain trim moldings. Carnauba waxes have low surface adhesion which means even mild detergents will remove them and a high surface tension which makes the finish more prone to water spots.

( Remember no single product is right for everyone. )

Other factors to consider are:

1. How hard are you willing to work? Be candid. Will you use a separate polish and wax or would you prefer a one-step, easy-on/easy-off combination product?
2. Which do you value most, a great shine, long lasting protection or ease of application? Are you willing to wax your car twice a year? Four times a year? Every month?
3. Do you have a newer vehicle with excellent paint or a vehicle with some miles that is starting to show a few swirls and imperfections? Older vehicles will benefit from polishing prior to waxing or a "one-step-product" that cleans, polishes and protects in one application.
4. What color is your vehicle? Waxes that produce a bright shine tend to look best on light color vehicles. Waxes that produce a deeper, liquid-like shimmer tend to look best on black, red and dark color vehicles.

Synthetic or man-made, "waxes" are called paint sealants. Made with state-of-the-art, engineered, polymers, the best sealants create a sizzling, bright shine that grabs your attention. Sealants are the exact opposite of carnauba waxes having a very high surface adhesion with a low surface tension. This means sealants can last for 6 months or more and have a slippery finish which sheets water to minimize water spots. Sealants are highly resistant to detergent washings and are typically easy to apply either by hand or machine.

I like using a paint sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Protection and then layering our Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax and the best in protection and the longer lasting shine on my car and my customers.