Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 02:08 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this bad?

Ok so i removed the emblems to paint them. Then with goo gone i removed the left over stuff. But the letter outlines were still visible so i got some Meguiars Cleaner Wax and put some on. Then wiped it off with a Polishing micro fiber towel.. Then i did it again.. then an idea came to my mind. Instead of me using my hand. I strapped the MF towel to this drill thing with some tape:

I put some more wax on the emblem area then used the MF ready drill to remove it.. The results were amazing!! It feels like glass!! I want to do this to my entire car now but was wondering.

Will using the drill with MF towel damage my paint?? Is this just like using my hand but faster or am I removing all the clear coat and damaging the paint?
Old 03-24-10, 02:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Using a machine is fine, but you'll probably want a random orbital vs a power drill.

I'll let the experts reply though... (moved to our detail forum)
Old 03-24-10, 02:21 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

wow!! didnt even know we had a detail forum!! maaaaaaan... just when i was starting to use club lexus less then 1 hour a day!! Now i have the entire detail section to look at... I guess ill be a long night again..
Old 03-24-10, 03:42 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha CL ftw !
Old 03-24-10, 04:31 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a drill on a whole car isn't very efficient not to mention you're covering a small area at a time. You'll want a da polisher because it was intended for polishing a whole car and with greater speed and precision.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but take a look at this kit:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

Let me know what you think.
Old 03-24-10, 06:16 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

wow that is expensive...

Im on vacations and have all the time i want to wax my car with the drill. Just want to know if its ok or if im burning off the clear coat to a point were my paint will damage.

BTW im NOT using that plast X on the picture. Im using Meguiers Cleaner Wax. The picture is just to show the pad on the drill that i will cover with a No hair Polishing Micro fiber towels. I used it in a small area already and it was super nice!! Just don't know if with time the damage will show..

Last edited by mxis350; 03-24-10 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 06:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mxis350
wow that is expensive...

Im on vacations and have all the time i want to wax my car with the drill. Just want to know if its ok or if im burning off the clear coat to a point were my paint will damage.
A microfiber rag is not made to polish your car. A wax is not what is used to polish a car either. If you are trying to get rid of swirls, scratches, defects in the paint a rag/wax combo is a poor choice and is not going to work well. I am sure if you are careful you can use the drill with some kind of attachment like a disc to put your rag on to polish your car although I don't see why. If you are not careful you could introduce a bunch of swirls and buffer trails to your finish. You definitely don't want to turn the drill on high speed and don't hold it in one place, keep it moving constantly. Most people who use power drills for detailing use some kind of attachment to polish/clean their headlights and wheels.

If you want to polish your car to get the paint smooth and glossy I would definitely invest in a PC 7424 or get a professional to polish it instead of using a power drill.

Last edited by UDel; 03-24-10 at 09:26 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-10, 06:56 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

No im trying to wax my car. I know MF towels are not for polishing. But i just called them that because thats what the box calles them. They are the kind that look like leather (but are MF) not the ones with short hairs.

But here is the thing. I put the cleaning wax on a small spot on my TP lexus then used the drill. It left it super nice!! Like if i had just used a clay bar and wax all in 1! LIKE GLASS!!
Old 03-24-10, 07:17 PM
BlackjackM
Driver School Candidate

A drill is not made to wax cars with, and microfiber towels aren't made for this either- simple answer is don't use them.
Old 03-24-10, 08:50 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackjackM
A drill is not made to wax cars with, and microfiber towels aren't made for this either- simple answer is don't use them.
Well-said...