Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waxing by hand help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 06:56 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waxing by hand help

I just got a black 07 IS250. It has a decent amount of light scratches which I know they all wont come out. I know the best way to deal with them are by using a PC. But im not going to by one, just rather do the best I can by hand. Im willing to wax 3xs a year, spring, summer, fall. I have been using Meguires NXT 2.0 which looks awesome. But it doesnt seem to last very long. Also would you recomend using a meguires swirl remover by hand before waxing? or am i just wasting my time with that?
Old 03-24-10, 08:49 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flektone
I just got a black 07 IS250. It has a decent amount of light scratches which I know they all wont come out. I know the best way to deal with them are by using a PC. But im not going to by one, just rather do the best I can by hand. Im willing to wax 3xs a year, spring, summer, fall. I have been using Meguires NXT 2.0 which looks awesome. But it doesnt seem to last very long. Also would you recomend using a meguires swirl remover by hand before waxing? or am i just wasting my time with that?
Without seeing your paint, we can't truly know its condition and recommend a proper technique. So maybe you should first start with a picture or two.

With that said, you can only do so much without the proper tools. If you want to minimize the small-medium stuff and apply a good wax that lasts longer than NXT and can fill some of the smaller stuff, try the einszett line.

Here's a good kit that has everything you'll need:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Wax-Kit/Detail

Let me know what you think.
Old 03-24-10, 09:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Mequires line of waxes do not last long or protect all that well. If you want something that looks good and lasts a long time and protects very well try Collinite 476S. I use it and it is excellent. Just put it on and take it off, I get several months protection out of it. Klass AIO, Jeff Werkstatt, and Zaino are other sealants that last and protect for a long time.
Old 03-25-10, 04:35 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Mequires line of waxes do not last long or protect all that well. If you want something that looks good and lasts a long time and protects very well try Collinite 476S. I use it and it is excellent. Just put it on and take it off, I get several months protection out of it. Klass AIO, Jeff Werkstatt, and Zaino are other sealants that last and protect for a long time.
Ive always wanted to try Zaino and maybe its time. You can apply it by hand right? Also should I use some kind of swirl scratch remover before it?
Old 03-25-10, 05:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Regardless of which wax or sealant you use, longevity depends largly on surface prep. Just like painting a house, if you don't prep the paint first, adding another coat won't last all that long.

First, I'd suggest washing and claying the paint. Then, depending on your energy and the level of marring in your paint, I'd probably recommend ScratchX. If the paint is very bad you might try Ultimate Compound. You might want to do this in stages as it is quite difficult by hand. Maybe just do a couple panels at a time.

Once you have prepped the paint properly I think you will notice a lot longer life from your wax or sealant. You will also see a marked improvement in the appearance of your car.
Old 03-25-10, 11:25 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive always wanted to try Zaino and maybe its time. You can apply it by hand right? Also should I use some kind of swirl scratch remover before it?
I use Zaino and I like it. However, I don't like their paint correction line that much.

Also, if you aren't going to buy an orbital, I'd highly recommend you go with a strong scratch remover/paint correction products...like Meguiar's ultimate compound. That's the only thing I used that would deal with minor scratches by hand...

Having said all that I did go and buy a Porter Cable 7424XP. Best $125 I've ever spent. Makes paint correction so much easier.
Old 03-25-10, 11:51 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Owning a black IS250 and a black Escalade, I have come to realize that black is just more than a color.....it is a profession. It would be a wise investment to save your $$ and buy a PC. One of the best purchases I ever made
Old 03-25-10, 11:54 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

the carnauba based Collinite 476S fills minor scratches fairly well and does provide a very good shine and protection for quite a long time

ive been using it for over 2 years and been happy ever since

ps. it rains a lot here in vancouver, more than in Seattle
so i really do put it through the test and i smile everytime after waxing it even if it starts raining
Old 03-25-10, 11:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Yes you can apply Zaino by hand. I would recommend claying and polishing your car or having someone polish your car before you apply Zaino to get your finish looking perfect. I have never tried Zaino polishes but from what I hear they are just mild polishes and there are better ones out there for less money. Before you apply Zaino you should do an alcohol/water rub down or wash it with a soap made to get rid of wax residue to get the surface completely clean and free of polish/wax oils because they may affect Zaino adhering to your paint. Many will tell you you are going to need a bunch of different products from Zaino and spend a bunch of money to get good results but you don't. All I use is Zaino AIO, Z2, and for applying between coats Z8 if you want. It leaves the finish looking great and protects for a very long time.
Old 03-25-10, 01:51 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
I use Zaino and I like it. However, I don't like their paint correction line that much.

Also, if you aren't going to buy an orbital, I'd highly recommend you go with a strong scratch remover/paint correction products...like Meguiar's ultimate compound. That's the only thing I used that would deal with minor scratches by hand...

Having said all that I did go and buy a Porter Cable 7424XP. Best $125 I've ever spent. Makes paint correction so much easier.
+1 on the PC. I bought my PC 15 years ago and it is the best tool I've ever purchased. I also own a Makita 9227 but I get a lot more use from my PC. My PC is 15 years old and still running like new. I do have it serviced regularly, lubed and new brushes occasionally at a local ACE.
Old 03-25-10, 04:29 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Yes you can apply Zaino by hand. I would recommend claying and polishing your car or having someone polish your car before you apply Zaino to get your finish looking perfect. I have never tried Zaino polishes but from what I hear they are just mild polishes and there are better ones out there for less money. Before you apply Zaino you should do an alcohol/water rub down or wash it with a soap made to get rid of wax residue to get the surface completely clean and free of polish/wax oils because they may affect Zaino adhering to your paint. Many will tell you you are going to need a bunch of different products from Zaino and spend a bunch of money to get good results but you don't. All I use is Zaino AIO, Z2, and for applying between coats Z8 if you want. It leaves the finish looking great and protects for a very long time.
I actually called Zaino today. I asked what they recomend as fas as a light swirl scratch remover and he said zaino AIO. Then to follow up with Z5. So do you like zaino AIO?
Old 03-25-10, 04:47 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

I actually called Zaino today. I asked what they recomend as fas as a light swirl scratch remover and he said zaino AIO. Then to follow up with Z5. So do you like zaino AIO?
If I remember correctly, AIO is a polish/wax. That product won't remove scratches, it might fill them and make them less visible. If you want a true polish that legitimately removes light swirls and scratches, then you'll need something like Menzerna Power Finish.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

I guess at the end of the day, you gotta come up with a routine that makes sense for you.

IMHO, time is something you can't gain back. The results you'll get with 4 hours of polishing by hand vs. by a machine will be night and day. Measure twice and cut once. I'd hate to see you spend so much time trying to get where you want to go and only be disappointed.
Old 03-25-10, 05:15 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
If I remember correctly, AIO is a polish/wax. That product won't remove scratches, it might fill them and make them less visible. If you want a true polish that legitimately removes light swirls and scratches, then you'll need something like Menzerna Power Finish.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

I guess at the end of the day, you gotta come up with a routine that makes sense for you.

IMHO, time is something you can't gain back. The results you'll get with 4 hours of polishing by hand vs. by a machine will be night and day. Measure twice and cut once. I'd hate to see you spend so much time trying to get where you want to go and only be disappointed.
I had a PC7424 and didnt like using it. The polish would splatter all over the place at times. Plus it was very difficult do use the PC on the doors and bumper. Its fine for your trunk, hood and roof. But any other part of the car its a pain. I ended up messing up some of the paint on my trunk as well. So I gave up it and sold it. I know using the PC is the only way to truely correct scratches. But i dont have that kind of time and dedication. One day if I run across a good detailer in my area that knows what hes doing ill pay to have it done. Until then I just want to wax by hand and do the best I can. So any help on products id appreciate.
Old 03-25-10, 05:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

ZIAO is more of the base coat/layer for the Z2 or Z5 to adhere to. It has mild cleaning and polishing abilities but I use it more as just a base for other Zaino products. Z2 or Z5 may not adhere to your finish unless you have ZAIO on it or some other Zaino product on it so it is essential. If you have alot of swirls and scratches especially if they are deeper I doubt it is going to do much to get rid of them especially if you are going to be polishing by hand. I do like ZAIO though. I put ZAIO on first, then a layer or two of Z2. I only have to put ZAIO on once a year and then follow Z2 every 3-5 months, between washes I put Z8 if I want extra protection/gloss. I would say get the ZAIO and (Z2 or Z5 they are very similar) and optionally Z8 and try and see if the ZAIO gets rid of the swirls/scratches. If not you still have the ZAIO to use for the base Zaino coat and can just get a more aggressive polish to get rid of swirls/scratches.
Old 03-25-10, 06:55 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

I had a PC7424 and didnt like using it. The polish would splatter all over the place at times. Plus it was very difficult do use the PC on the doors and bumper. Its fine for your trunk, hood and roof. But any other part of the car its a pain. I ended up messing up some of the paint on my trunk as well. So I gave up it and sold it. I know using the PC is the only way to truely correct scratches. But i dont have that kind of time and dedication. One day if I run across a good detailer in my area that knows what hes doing ill pay to have it done. Until then I just want to wax by hand and do the best I can. So any help on products id appreciate.
Understood

Here's a very simple kit that will give you excellent results by hand. It was designed for clients like yourself in mind. Easy to use, simple three step process, and great results. Awesome price too

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Wax-Kit/Detail

Quick Reply: Waxing by hand help