Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Stay away from Turtle wax F21 wheel cleaner!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 05:55 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Stay away from Turtle wax F21 wheel cleaner!!

So....my powder coated wheels are completely fubared, all cause of some wheel cleaner that is supposedly "Acid free" and safe for even the most sensitive wheels.

From their website and on the bottle itself: "Acid free formula will not damage sensitive wheel surfaces and is completely biodegradable and phosphate free."

yeah right....

All four of my wheels have this filmy drippy crap running all down the face. It wont come off, period.

I even tested in a inconspicuous area on the inside barrel of the wheel, and I didnt see any problems. It's after the water dries that you can see it. I'm so upset about this. Apparently Turtle wax has this issue more than not cause their website even has a damage report. I sent them an email Friday and havent heard anything yet. From what I can see from other people experiences, TW DOES handle issues. It just might take awhile.

For all those wanting to get that last bit of brake dust out of the small spaces around chrome bolts or whatever.....just use a rag.

I'll post some pics later.
Old 03-29-10, 06:24 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

pics:

Old 03-29-10, 06:29 AM
Brewdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had good luck with any turtle wax product. I haven't used anything of there's in 15 years and never will again.

I hope they take care of your wheel issue.
Old 03-29-10, 06:31 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

you see the color of the center cap? my wheels used to be almost that dark too.....
Old 03-29-10, 06:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

this is why i never ever use any wheel cleaner. nothing water cant remove if you wash them weekly.
Old 03-29-10, 06:41 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ True. All wheels cleaners are super harsh. Nothing but soap & water to my wheels.
Old 03-29-10, 06:44 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

lesson learned, the hard way.
Old 03-29-10, 06:46 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not to be insensitive to your situation, but you get what you pay for. i have not touched a single turtle wax product in almost 10 years after using one of their waxes severly damaged the paint of my vehicle. i sincerely hope turtle wax will rectify your situation

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
this is why i never ever use any wheel cleaner. nothing water cant remove if you wash them weekly.
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
^ True. All wheels cleaners are super harsh. Nothing but soap & water to my wheels.
hate to say it, but these are some ignorant statements. using only water to clean wheels without any form of lubrication can and will lead to micro-marring on the surface of your wheels. and using the wrong "soap" on your wheels can result into wheels looking like those of the OP. there are some PH balanced wheel cleaners out there that are 100% safe on all wheel surfaces.
Old 03-29-10, 07:03 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by varcity64
not to be insensitive to your situation, but you get what you pay for. i have not touched a single turtle wax product in almost 10 years after using one of their waxes severly damaged the paint of my vehicle. i sincerely hope turtle wax will rectify your situation

hate to say it, but these are some ignorant statements. using only water to clean wheels without any form of lubrication can and will lead to micro-marring on the surface of your wheels. and using the wrong "soap" on your wheels can result into wheels looking like those of the OP. there are some PH balanced wheel cleaners out there that are 100% safe on all wheel surfaces.
Which PH balanced wheel cleaner do you recommend?
Old 03-29-10, 07:04 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Where your wheels completely cool before you washed them?
Old 03-29-10, 07:10 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^ yes.....I make sure that I park in the shade and I also rinse the entire car multiple times with cool water before I even touch it with anthing else.
Old 03-29-10, 07:25 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there are quite a few, but i will give you my review on products i have used on my HRE's and trust 100%:

Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner

out of all the ones i tried, i liked this the least. it is ph balanced and safe on high end wheels but this product states it can be dilluted and yet remain effective. i found that this product had the least cleaning power and the wheel gel did not "stick" onto the wheel long enough (imo) even if it was not dilluted. i would not purchase this product again

Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim Wheel Cleaner Concentrated

this is definitely the best bang for your buck product. you can dillute this product 3:1 (3 parts water, 1 part product) and the product has basically the same consistancies. it does a good job (not great) of sticking to the wheels and grabbing the dirt off the wheels. it also has this wonderful bubble gum scent to it that makes it more fun to use lol.

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner

hands down my favorite wheel cleaner out there and also, the most expensive of the 3 (as it cannot be dilluted). this stuff really does stick to the surface of the wheels and does an excellent job of pulling the dirt off the wheels. a great great product.

with that said, there is a "new" product being carried by one of our vendors that is getting nothing but great reviews that i want to try in the near future:

sonax-wheelcleaner

do a search on these forums and you will see what i mean. also, make sure you support our forum vendors as they are the ones keeping this site free and be sure to use our discount code!
Old 03-29-10, 07:27 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

try sonax wheel cleaner or p21 wheel cleaner. i use them on my wheels with great result. if u want less scrubbing try sonax.
Old 03-29-10, 08:00 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by varcity64
there are quite a few, but i will give you my review on products i have used on my HRE's and trust 100%:

Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner

out of all the ones i tried, i liked this the least. it is ph balanced and safe on high end wheels but this product states it can be dilluted and yet remain effective. i found that this product had the least cleaning power and the wheel gel did not "stick" onto the wheel long enough (imo) even if it was not dilluted. i would not purchase this product again

Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim Wheel Cleaner Concentrated

this is definitely the best bang for your buck product. you can dillute this product 3:1 (3 parts water, 1 part product) and the product has basically the same consistancies. it does a good job (not great) of sticking to the wheels and grabbing the dirt off the wheels. it also has this wonderful bubble gum scent to it that makes it more fun to use lol.

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner

hands down my favorite wheel cleaner out there and also, the most expensive of the 3 (as it cannot be dilluted). this stuff really does stick to the surface of the wheels and does an excellent job of pulling the dirt off the wheels. a great great product.

with that said, there is a "new" product being carried by one of our vendors that is getting nothing but great reviews that i want to try in the near future:

sonax-wheelcleaner

do a search on these forums and you will see what i mean. also, make sure you support our forum vendors as they are the ones keeping this site free and be sure to use our discount code!
great info, thanks. any thoughts on over the counter stuff like Eagle1 Aluminum wheel cleaner, its PH balanced as well....
Old 03-29-10, 08:27 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

yes do, It did this to the factory wheels on my last car as well., i ended up having to POLISH it off with a PC that i borrowed... and the wheels didnt look pretty. but the Toyota Replacements were $400 a piece (for a 16 inch factory wheel on a Matrix!!!)

I havent touched TW anything in years. Its meguiars or online stuff for me.

Quick Reply: Stay away from Turtle wax F21 wheel cleaner!!