Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Any recommendations for an orbital polisher?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 08:17 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We now carry the Porter Cable 7424XP polisher as well as the Flex.

This thread outlines a lot of the technical details describing the differences between the Orbital Polishers. You have a few good choices, and really your decision is going to come down what your priorities are.

The Flex is our polisher of choice. We use it on every paint correction that we do, have used the same one in and out and is basically indestructible. It has enough power to do some major correction, but because it is an orbital polisher it is still safe to use for the enthusiast who is afraid of damaging their paint finish. It is a serious tool, but its downside is its price. It is more expensive than the PC, fairly significantly so. If performance is your bottom line, this is your polisher of choice.

We carry the PC now as well because it is a very capable polisher, and it is a great price. For what you pay, you get a great tool that is capable of solid correction and delivering a fantastic paint finish. It is easy to use, compatible with a great number of pads, and there is an extensive following for it which makes information about its use readily accessible.

We are going to offer the PC in a good package with a few pads, a polish, and a wax as well for under $200. That makes it a very comprehensive package, so if price is your bottom line then that could be a fantastic option.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...olisher/Detail
Old 04-30-10, 06:29 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here it is guys. Add the following items in your cart and use promo code clublexus and you'll have a kit that'll have everything for less than $200:

Glistening Perfection Store Items

Quantity SKU Description Price Total

1 PC-7424XP Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher $124.95 $112.45
Save: $12.50 (10%) $112.45

1 GP78-64650C GP 6.5" CCS White Foam Polishing Pad (Curved)
(2 Count) $24.95 $22.45
Save: $2.50 (10%) $22.45

1 PO203-016 Menzerna Power Finish
(16oz/1 Pint) $29.95 $26.95
Save: $3.00 (10%) $26.95

1 GP-230 GP 148mm Back Plate for Dual Action Polishers $19.95 $17.95
Save: $2.00 (10%) $17.95

1 1Z-930207-0 einszett Glanz Wax 500mL $19.95 $17.95

Sub-Total $197.75
Old 04-30-10, 09:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Here it is guys. Add the following items in your cart and use promo code clublexus and you'll have a kit that'll have everything for less than $200:

Glistening Perfection Store Items

Quantity SKU Description Price Total

1 PC-7424XP Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher $124.95 $112.45
Save: $12.50 (10%) $112.45

1 GP78-64650C GP 6.5" CCS White Foam Polishing Pad (Curved)
(2 Count) $24.95 $22.45
Save: $2.50 (10%) $22.45

1 PO203-016 Menzerna Power Finish
(16oz/1 Pint) $29.95 $26.95
Save: $3.00 (10%) $26.95

1 GP-230 GP 148mm Back Plate for Dual Action Polishers $19.95 $17.95

1 1Z-930207-0 einszett Glanz Wax 500mL $19.95 $17.95

Sub-Total $197.75
This seems like a great basic kit but only the PC is showing up in the shopping cart

Figured it out... THanks

Last edited by tmf2004; 04-30-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-30-10, 11:41 AM
Lexis61509
Driver School Candidate

My step-father has worked for various body shops over the past 38 years. I went to him for advice on this exact same matter. He told me to go with Makita and I would not be disappointed. He has had the same Makita buffer for around 10 years he said and he uses it daily! So about 6 years ago I listened, got the Makita and have not had a single issue with it until recently. Someone stole it a couple weeks ago and now I am buffer less
Old 05-01-10, 06:57 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lexis61509
My step-father has worked for various body shops over the past 38 years. I went to him for advice on this exact same matter. He told me to go with Makita and I would not be disappointed. He has had the same Makita buffer for around 10 years he said and he uses it daily! So about 6 years ago I listened, got the Makita and have not had a single issue with it until recently. Someone stole it a couple weeks ago and now I am buffer less
The Makita is an excellent work horse and very dependable. Are you talking about the rotary or the quasi-rotary. If rotary, I'd HIGHLY discourage any DIYer to get it...one miss-hap, and you will burn through the paint. Hence why we're recommending the PC or FLEX.
Old 05-01-10, 06:58 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tmf2004
This seems like a great basic kit but only the PC is showing up in the shopping cart

Figured it out... THanks
Cool!! You simply put all those items in the cart and use your promo code and the rest is history.
Old 05-02-10, 06:51 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

For anybody that is looking for a pretty complete and simple package for not a lot of money, it is really hard to beat. It is a really capable machine, paired with a great polish and pads, and a wax as well.

If you have any questions on the polisher, pads, or any how-to information, PM me and I would be glad to help you out.
Old 05-07-10, 08:46 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

OK, newbie question here: For occasional use, is the $24 Ryobi RB60K from Home Depot an ok alternative to the expensive big name models? Is there anything to these machines other than a rotating disk with a foam rubber cushion glued to it?
Old 05-08-10, 02:09 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
OK, newbie question here: For occasional use, is the $24 Ryobi RB60K from Home Depot an ok alternative to the expensive big name models? Is there anything to these machines other than a rotating disk with a foam rubber cushion glued to it?
those things are only good for removing wax, if that.

the main difference between a pc and the ryobi thing is that the ryobi thing just vibrates("oscillates"). the pc actually rotates and moves in a circular pattern.

you need the rotation to remove swirls. that and power.
Old 05-08-10, 05:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Thanks to all the vendors

Thanks to all the vendors that helped to ansewer my questions on a beginner PC kit.. My kit should be here on Tuesday thanks to one of the vendors on here. Received a great it for under 200.00 and looking forward to starting my detailing.. Thanks again

Tony
Old 05-08-10, 08:28 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks to all the vendors that helped to ansewer my questions on a beginner PC kit.. My kit should be here on Tuesday thanks to one of the vendors on here. Received a great it for under 200.00 and looking forward to starting my detailing.. Thanks again

Tony
can I ask which PC you ended up buying and what you items you bought.
Old 05-09-10, 08:14 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Tony
Let us know how it all turns out Tony. Lots of before/after pictures.
Old 05-09-10, 10:52 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
Flex, if money is no object. Meguiars 110 or PC7424 if you are on a budget. PC7424 if reliability is foremost on your mind.

With the Porter Cable 7424, Do not forget to do your maintenance. Like a car, without regular tune-ups, it will die prematurely.
How do you maintain the PC?
Old 05-09-10, 11:07 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelo@ProperAutoCare
The Porter Cable 7424XP, the Meguiars G110V2, the Flex XC3401 VRG, and Makita BO6040 polishers are just a few of the polishers in our inventory. We also have developed various kits using these polishers, along with Lake Country and Meguiars polishing/buffing pads.

The Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital Polisher is simply a wonderful machine. It doesn't matter if you're a first time user or a skilled enthusiast, this machine will give you professional-looking results the very first time you use it.
The 7424XP Polisher is easy to use and safe for all fiberglass, metal, paint and clear coat finishes. It will not create swirls and can not harm or remove paint or clear coats.
It will allow you to apply a polish and liquid wax or sealant in a fraction of the time it would take by hand and create an unbelievable shine.

There are now a number of Chinese-made polishers being imported to compete with the Porter Cable 7424XP. We have elected to stay with the time-tested, Porter Cable machine. The Porter Cable 7424XP is UL Approved, has a neutral balance, very little vibration for fatigue-free polishing and the adaptability of changing the counterweight to facilitate larger pads.
With tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of machines in use, the Porter Cable 7424XP has withstood the test of time and become a detailing icon.

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher is a random orbital polisher that features a perfect 5/16th stroke. This physics of this powerful "stroke" cause the pad to rotate freely, creating a more perfect finish. Because the pad spins freely, and is not directly driven making this type of polisher extremely safe. And while enthusiast love this polisher for its safe power delivery, many professional detailers love it for its efficiency. It allows you to polish the paint to a high gloss, in less time, without fear of rotary buffer swirls!Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher

Features:

* Amps: 4.2
* OPMs: 1800 - 6800
* Thread Size: 5/16" x 24
* Weight: 5.5 lbs (without backing plate and handle)
* Noise: 55 dB
* Cord Length: 10.3 ft.
* Multi-position bail handle
* Soft-touch finish
* Meguiar's carry bag included
* Warranty: 1 year from Meguiar's

While torque, amp, and voltage readings seem to be mostly publicized figures today regarding orbital polishers, they far from tell the "truth". Meguiar’s G110 V2 was designed by professional car enthusiast for car enthusiast and no attention to detail was spared. The counter weight is placed close to the drive, for less vertical deflection and a smoother feel. The "cruise control" feature prevents the motor from bogging, and a more efficient design delivers more of the power to road. The Meguiar’s G110 V2 is the most efficient random orbital polisher we have tested. Like Porsche proved to the world, it’s not all about the numbers!

The power dial of the Meguiar’s G110 V2 is mounted at the rear of the polisher, next to the super long power cord. The power has been perfectly tuned to the dial; gone is the rapid jumps in speed that would occur between different speed settings. Speed 1 starts at 1800 Orbits Per Minute (OPM) and each higher number is 1000 OPM higher in speed, topping at 6800 OPM at speed 6.

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 is packaged in a beautiful stitched Meguiar’s bag equipped with a W68DA Softbuff 2.0 Flexible Soft Backing Plate, a bale handle, and a replacement set of maintenance brushes. The body is covered in synthetic soft-touch material that is a treat to hold and the housing is made of metal. Just holding the polisher lets you know it is built to a different standard. Turning it on and using on paint confirms the feel: The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher is a serious defect removing paint polisher, from a name you can trust in car care.

This Flex XC3401VRG is a true dual-action machine. There's a huge difference between the two. With the Porter Cable 7424, the pads do not rotate, they oscillate, or jiggle, in a random pattern designed to simulate hand application. The "throw" or amount of "jiggle" is not disclosed by Porter Cable but it is very, very small. With the Flex XC3401VRG, the pads do have a forced circular motion, they rotate or "cut". Plus, as the pads rotate, they oscillate, or move, in a random pattern. Hence the name, dual action. One action is the circular rotation and the second action is the random movement of the pad while it is rotating. This random oscillation also has a exceptionally "long throw" of 8 mm. The forced circular pad rotation coupled with the long throw of the oscillations give the Flex considerably more cutting power than the Porter Cable 7424. In fact, after spending an afternoon with this machine, I feel it will do 90% of what a pure circular polisher can do with the safety of the random oscillations to prevent swirls. A case of having your cake and eating it too!
The Flex XC3401VRG has a bale-style handle which puts your hands at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock position which most professionals prefer. This gives you an even weight distribution between your hands, making the polisher less fatiguing when used for long periods. A six position speed control allows you to limit rpm's between 160 rpm and 480 rpm. Under the speed control, a variable speed trigger allows you to feather the oscillations per minute (OPM's) up to the maximum set by the speed dial. A very nice touch for keeping the rpm's low for applying waxes and sealants which you normally can not apply with a circular polisher.

Speed Control Note: Since the Flex XC3401VRG has a forced circular motion, every speed setting is slightly more powerful when compared to the Porter Cable 7424. If you are stepping up from a 7424, we recommend starting one speed setting lower than you would with the 7424. In other words, If you typically polish in a speed range of 3 to 4 with the 7424, start with a speed range of 2-3 with the Flex. You can always increase the speed if you need more cutting power.

Front, adjustable bale-style grip.

Thumb speed control with lower, finger-control, squeeze trigger.

This machine has a very solid "feel", like it could operate all day without stopping (which it probably does in some plants). It never feels strained or "near the edge". Feature wise, the Flex XC3401VGR is one of the most technologically advanced machines on the planet. It features a seven function microprocessor to insure consistent speed, restart protection after power interruption, overload protection and temperature monitoring. Auto shut-off carbon brushes automatically shut off the motor when they wear down to prevent motor damage. A 13 foot power cord allows you to work around most vehicles and the machine comes with a one year warranty through service centers across the US.

The machine comes with a 5-1/2 inch padded backing plat that is not changeable but will accommodate all of our 6-1/2 inch and 7-1/2 inch pads
So, if you need a polisher, we have the polisher for you.
For the Meguiar's DA, can you use 4 inch pads?
Old 05-09-10, 12:50 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Since I started the thread and got much info from all the knowledgable friends, I took the plunge and will be ordering the FLEX. I look at it as, you know what, you only live once.

Much thanks to everyone. Excited to see it when it arrives....

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for an orbital polisher?