Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Armour All Rim Protectant... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 11:11 AM
Feb30th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armour All Rim Protectant... thoughts?

I'm getting new rims and most of you guys know how heavy brake dust is on the IS. My stock rims is so heavy dusted right now it's disgusting lol, and the dust builds up right away as sson as it comes out of the wash...

Saw at Wal-Mart the other day Armour All has this new product called Rim Protectant... any of you guys tried it?

I read from the other forums that it actually worked pretty well, some even say despite it's an Armor All it worked pretty well lol... but I wanna make sure before I buy this and spray them to my new rims.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ry_index=wheel
Attached Thumbnails Armour All Rim Protectant... thoughts?-r_arm_wheel_protectant.jpg  
Old 05-08-10, 11:31 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All those you find at regular places are very bad for the rims, you need to look into an automotive detailer store to find safe ones. Also to make it easier to clean brake dust, you can buy some wheel wax or even use regular car wax after you clean it; this will make the brake dust wipe right off the next time you clean it.
Old 05-08-10, 09:07 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP:
Lasts roughly 1 month in SoCal weather. I only had to use my pressure washer to get rid of the brake dust. All in all, its not a "nanotech" product but it works nice for the money. From its texture, its like a silicone cover. Give it a try, you'll probably like it as much as I did. I have 3 cans now haha

darkdream:
Shouldn't judge if you haven't tested it. Not everything is good at an automotive detailer store
Old 05-09-10, 05:11 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

people from vancouver say that they haven't had as good results as issac. probably cause we have much more rain that washes the stuff away.

i've had good results with just sealant on wheels.
Old 05-09-10, 05:38 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, was this during the winter season? Salt kills everything on the car pretty fast...

If it isn't then maybe. Though I'd imagine the silicone coating to last quite long since silicone is usually waterproof. Hrmm, I doubt washing once a week counts as the rain you guys have haha...
Old 05-09-10, 05:45 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

^ I approve his words... This stuff is amazing! I used it on my 4 wheels and it feels like I still got a full can.
Old 05-09-10, 11:07 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Hmm, was this during the winter season? Salt kills everything on the car pretty fast...

If it isn't then maybe. Though I'd imagine the silicone coating to last quite long since silicone is usually waterproof. Hrmm, I doubt washing once a week counts as the rain you guys have haha...
no idea, could be the weather, could be poor application techniques, etc.
Old 05-12-10, 12:25 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

This is actually the first product that I'm not against with Armor-All products..
Old 05-12-10, 12:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought 2 cans myself. Sprayed some onto my chrome 17s. I tried splashing water onto the wheels and the water just repelled. Kinda like Teflon coating on a frying pan
Old 05-13-10, 10:15 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Very interesting, i might have to try it.
Old 09-12-10, 06:50 AM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

I saw this post and bought it the next time I was in Autozone.
This has been my savior. The pads I installed in my front leave more dust than any other pad Ive ever had.

This stuff repels dust pretty darn good. I can go a good couple weeks without noticing any dust build up.

Thanks so much for the heads up on this product. Love it!
Old 09-12-10, 09:01 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that stuff works really well, i love it. I only use it on the front 2 wheels. no need for the backs cuz they hardly get any brake dust on them. As far as this stuff damaging the finish of the wheel all is good so far. But i dont really care if my stocks get messed up. I dont know if id use this stuff on a nice set of aftermarket wheels though.
Old 09-13-10, 07:24 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Yea this works, I apply some to my rims every time I wash my car, my rims barely gets dirty, when it does all I need to do is spray some water and it comes off easy
Old 09-14-10, 04:40 AM
speeds27
Rookie

Sounds good, i'm gonna have to try this stuff. I think this is the first time i've seen anyone on this forum recommend an armor all product. haha.
Old 10-11-10, 08:42 AM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flektone
that stuff works really well, i love it. I only use it on the front 2 wheels. no need for the backs cuz they hardly get any brake dust on them. As far as this stuff damaging the finish of the wheel all is good so far. But i dont really care if my stocks get messed up. I dont know if id use this stuff on a nice set of aftermarket wheels though.
Yes. I only use it on the fronts also.
My rears usually fine and it makes the bottle last longer!!!!

Quick Reply: Armour All Rim Protectant... thoughts?