Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Microfiber towels... different type for wash, detail, and dry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 11:03 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Microfiber towels... different type for wash, detail, and dry?

Hey everyone,

I'm quite new to the detailing. I've never paid much attention to the best ways of washing a car... Anyway, I have a quick question.

I've done some reading and browsing the forum, but one question remains elusive to me.

What do I use to:

Wash?
Dry?
Do some quick detailing?

So far, I found--

The Meguiar's wash mitt for washing.
The Absorber and California Water Blade for drying.
And I have no idea what to use to apply the quick detailer...

Any ideas or inputs would be greatly appreciated! I have loads of bugs on the bumper that has been sitting there for a month now. I just got out of school. I hope to use this time to care for my 2010 IS after a period of neglect.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-10, 12:04 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just go to walmart and get the microfiber towels there for misc use like with qd or wiping down the interior. they should have a higher quality plush version that i get.i like them better than the so called high quality stuff i bought from autogeek and it is way cheaper.
Old 06-15-10, 09:45 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do support your Forum Vendors, we have everything you need when comes to car care, from washing to polishing and maintaining your vehicle finish. Your welcome to call us and we can help you in what you will need in getting started.
Old 06-15-10, 02:53 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just use regular microfiber, I would like to know if there's a difference or is it just that one is thicker than the other.

I'll be sure to check out properautocare.com
Old 06-15-10, 03:46 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

There is a difference between the cheap brands and the quality brands. The cheap brands tend to deposit lint, sometimes scratch paint, and usually come apart in short order. If you buy cheap, test them for scratching by rubbing them across a CD and see if it leaves marring. If it makes marks on a CD it will also make marks on your paint.

There are different types of microfibers for different tasks. For drying, look for waffle weave towels. For polishing and waxing, look for plush soft towels. For glass cleaning, look for short nap, non-shedding towels.

With microfibers it is important to not wash them with any other material, like cotton, or they will forever after shed lint. Don't use fabric softeners with microfiber towels. I use a white vinegar rinse to soften them. I wash my microfibers in a front loading washing machine with Tide HE detergent. I wash in hot and rinse in cold water. I dry them in the dryer. Quality microfibers will last for several years.
Old 06-16-10, 08:04 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kl323
What do I use to:

Wash?
Dry?
Do some quick detailing?
For washing I generally don't use microfiber products but something soft and safe is ideal. I'd suggest the DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt or the Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge.

For drying the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel is an awesome choice. It's paint safe with it's thick microfiber waffle weave design and satin trim.

For the removal of excess product I really like the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. If you are spraying some quick detailer on the paint and cleaning the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel is my towel of choice. It's a very thick towel that is super soft and safe to use on the paint.

As always you can save 10% off on these products with the discount code 10offCL. If you have any other questions please let me know.