Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Menzerna vs Meguiars polishes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 05:06 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Menzerna vs Meguiars polishes

I love detailing my car any chance I get and I've been an avid user of Meguiars for the past 5 years. I've been using #83 and #80 for quite some time now, yet there is something I don't like about it. I really can't pinpoint the reason but I wanted to try something new and have seen many members using and getting great results from Menzerna products. Can anyone on here give me feedback on their products as far as ease of use and how it stacks up against Meguiars polishes? I've been looking to get the SIP and IP play with. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-10, 06:25 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have #83, dont like it at all compared to my Menz polishes. Id go with SIP or 203s, 106fa or 87mc, and maybe 85rd if you think you need it. M105 is a good compound though.

Last edited by DetailMan; 06-23-10 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 09:41 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A majority of the results come from the skill of the user. Practice enough and even #83/80 will give you similar results. Though due to the filling properties of those 2, I'd swap to Menz SIP and 106FA for better results based on product alone. After some practice you'll be able to do what the pros can do

BTW, #83=IP and #80=FPII for future reference. I'd bump it up to the ceramiclear polishes I listed since they are much easier to use and dust less
Old 06-22-10, 11:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
A majority of the results come from the skill of the user. Practice enough and even #83/80 will give you similar results. Though due to the filling properties of those 2, I'd swap to Menz SIP and 106FA for better results based on product alone. After some practice you'll be able to do what the pros can do

BTW, #83=IP and #80=FPII for future reference. I'd bump it up to the ceramiclear polishes I listed since they are much easier to use and dust less
I agree with Isaac. I have had my car since new, and have maintained the finish using mostly OTC (over the counter) products. I have a thread coming when I get home (3 days, count 'em guys) about an OTC versus a professional Grade Products detail. Most products of comparable price and type will yield results consistent with each other, Providing the user is consistent. I am willing to bet that I can achieve results with OTC products that you would not believe were OTC, unless I told you. In fact, I know I can...because I have done it. Therefore you can do it.

Basically it all comes down to preference. I give my car the star treatment every once in a while, but most of the time, I use good ol' Meguair's. My customers get the expensive stuff, because they pay for it. If I use it on my car, I am losing money. If you are just average Joe, looking to have a clean car, waxing 2x a year and washing in between, then by all means, pop for the good stuff. But when you wash/wax as often as I do (3x a week/once a month, respectively), then the OTC stuff works just as good, and sometimes, for alot less.

Having said all of that, as far as OTC products go, It doesnt get much better than Meguair's.
Old 06-27-10, 08:51 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, Menzerna is the only polishing system we'd ever use. The reason being of their ease of use, consistent results, and the fact they don't fill or have any silicones. We sue to use Meg #83 but due to its filling abilities, you could not get true results. The simple recipe that works 90+% of the time on every car is Menzerna Super Intensive Polish/Orange or Yellow CCS Pads then finishing with Menzerna Super Finish/White CCS Pad. The polisher makes a huge difference too...if you can spend the extra $$, get the FLEX XC3401.
Old 06-27-10, 06:49 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
IMHO, Menzerna is the only polishing system we'd ever use. The reason being of their ease of use, consistent results, and the fact they don't fill or have any silicones. We sue to use Meg #83 but due to its filling abilities, you could not get true results. The simple recipe that works 90+% of the time on every car is Menzerna Super Intensive Polish/Orange or Yellow CCS Pads then finishing with Menzerna Super Finish/White CCS Pad. The polisher makes a huge difference too...if you can spend the extra $$, get the FLEX XC3401.
Thanks for the advice. I want to get a FLEX but my PC is still running good and I really don't want to shell out extra to replace it when it's still working. I will be ordering some SIP and Super finish very soon and will report back with results once I get some time to play with it.
Old 06-28-10, 04:08 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I found that the Meg 105/205 and/or UC to be able to address just about any polishing project. Using it with orange and white flat LC pads and a Flex is an amazing combination!

Koz
Old 06-28-10, 07:20 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
I found that the Meg 105/205 and/or UC to be able to address just about any polishing project. Using it with orange and white flat LC pads and a Flex is an amazing combination!

Koz
Yes...the newer technology from Meg is great stuff. 105 isn't as multi-task as Menzerna SIP though...there's a learning curve and it doesn't behave the same on every car. This is why Menzerna SIP is still our go-to polish. No matter what car, it works nicely. Being a detailing company, the more products we have the are multi-task, the better
Old 06-28-10, 11:49 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll give the SIP a try!

Thanks
Koz
Old 06-28-10, 03:09 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No detailer should ever use anything but Meguiars M105 and M205, follow by M07 and finished with M21 or M26.
Old 06-28-10, 05:28 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Menzerna polishes definitely have a learning curve.
Old 06-28-10, 06:31 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did Menz polishes have a learning curve? They behaved just like #83/80, Prima polishes, and 1Z polishes...
Old 06-29-10, 05:45 AM
DetailMan
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
How did Menz polishes have a learning curve? They behaved just like #83/80, Prima polishes, and 1Z polishes...
You're a member on detailing forums, you should know... Im not going to get into it here.

I will say though, its not only with Menzerna, and since you're from Cali you might not experience some things.

Last edited by DetailMan; 06-29-10 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-30-10, 12:40 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DetailMan
You're a member on detailing forums, you should know... Im not going to get into it here.

I will say though, its not only with Menzerna, and since you're from Cali you might not experience some things.
Its rare for there to be complications with menzerna here in so cal since the weather is pretty consistent, but yeah it happens every now and then. I remember when I first got my bottle of menzerna it would run dry before I could break down the polish, but 2 weeks later until now I've had no problems with the product at all.