Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Volk Lip polishing help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 09:03 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyB822
I feel like a dumb *** because I thought that it was the Hot Rims Aluminum but it was the Hot Rims Chrome.
If you have any luck with DIY, let me know. Basically, everyone has been telling me to leave it alone or send it to be professionally polished.
Old 07-29-10, 12:51 PM
LexusJimD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like a dumb *** because I thought that it was the Hot Rims Aluminum but it was the Hot Rims Chrome.
Bummer. Mistakes happen.

I am unclear what finishes are offered on these wheels.

If the lip is anodized, you're out of luck. I'd get the lip powdercoated a complementary color or refinished.

If the lip is polished/polishable, you can try the Powercone and Mag & Aluminum Polish (or similar metal polish) -- both are by Mothers. If that does not work, they have a more aggressive polish PowerMetal Scratch Remover polish you can get from their website, or you can also try wetsanding with a fine sandpaper of about 1200 and work your way up to 2000, then polish.

If the lip is clearcoated, you'll need to strip the clearcoat, then polish with the PowerCone and Mag & Aluminum Polish.
Old 08-04-10, 11:37 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going to try with the PowerCone and Mag/Alum Polish since I have both of those. I'f it doesn't work I'll just send them out to be done by a Pro.
Old 08-05-10, 06:35 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm going to try with the PowerCone and Mag/Alum Polish since I have both of those. I'f it doesn't work I'll just send them out to be done by a Pro.
mag/alum polish wont work. most wheels (volk, work etc) with a polish lip have a clearcoat. using cleaners really kill the shine. once they're hazed up i dont think theres a way to bring them back. the only thing to do is to have them professionally stripped and re-polished then re-cleared.

ive heard the best thing to clean a new set of wheels i just water on a wet towel

Originally Posted by Angelo@ProperAutoCare
You can test to see if your wheels are coated or not, take a mild metal polish and lite rub in a small hidden area first, if it turns black, then its not coated. If it does not turn black then it is coated.
^ this
Old 08-30-10, 08:33 AM
Gator Alum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it sounds like the Volk Wheels have a clearcoat. I tried a Meguires wheel cleaning product without much success.

Would a normal car wax hurt the wheel? If it is indeed clearcoated, it would make sense to treat it like you'd treat car paint right? Clay bar would remove the clear coat, which is NOT what I want to do. Maybe just a high quality polish for car paint would do the trick? Suggestions?