Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Volk Lip polishing help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 12:53 PM
Gator Alum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Volk Lip polishing help

Hey everyone-

Well, I made the mistake of allowing the dealership to wash my car and now my volk GT-S wheels look awful. My exact wheels can be found here.

I am new to the whole polished lip thing. I am curious what the best way is to keep them nice and clean/shiny/in good shape. Please keep in mind that I'm an amateur so I do not have all the tools you guys might have. Would simple Mequiar's mad/aluminum polish be the way to go?

I could definitely use some of your expertise though!
Old 06-28-10, 02:21 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the entire wheel is clearcoated, just get a good wheel cleaner like p21s or sonax.

same as above if the lips are not clearcoated. then you can use the meg's mag/aluminum polish to keep the the lips looking good.

apply sealant afterwards.
Old 06-28-10, 03:22 PM
Gator Alum
Driver

How can I tell if the wheels are clearcoated?
Old 06-28-10, 04:25 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can test to see if your wheels are coated or not, take a mild metal polish and lite rub in a small hidden area first, if it turns black, then its not coated. If it does not turn black then it is coated.
Old 06-28-10, 04:43 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't polish volk lips. they are clearcoated from the factory.
Old 06-29-10, 07:38 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gator Alum
Hey everyone-

Well, I made the mistake of allowing the dealership to wash my car and now my volk GT-S wheels look awful. My exact wheels can be found here.

I am new to the whole polished lip thing. I am curious what the best way is to keep them nice and clean/shiny/in good shape. Please keep in mind that I'm an amateur so I do not have all the tools you guys might have. Would simple Mequiar's mad/aluminum polish be the way to go?

I could definitely use some of your expertise though!
Those wheels look to have a clearcoat on them...if so, treat it as you would the paint. Do a good hand polish, then seal them with a product like RejeX.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-polish/Detail
Old 06-29-10, 08:19 AM
Gator Alum
Driver

Originally Posted by One HoT
You can't polish volk lips. they are clearcoated from the factory.
That's the info I needed, Thanks!

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Those wheels look to have a clearcoat on them...if so, treat it as you would the paint. Do a good hand polish, then seal them with a product like RejeX.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-polish/Detail
What type of product should I use for the hand polish?
Old 06-29-10, 08:37 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the dealership use a harsh chemical abrasive on your wheels? I had a detailing shop do that to my old Volks - stripped the anodization right off. The wheels were never the same - I would have had to send them off to a special shop to get them re-anodized. I ended up stripping off all the original finish and just polishing the metal itself.

I don't think that Volks use a clear-coat on the wheels, but I could be wrong...
Old 06-29-10, 09:13 AM
Gator Alum
Driver

oh man, now you have me nervous
Old 07-05-10, 10:29 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Resurrecting this thread. I just recently purchase some Volk SF Challenge and it has some pitting and stains. I spoke to a few other members and they said that Volk finishes their wheels off with a special clearcoat from the factory.

Here are some photos of the issues with my wheels. Any suggestions on how to make these look better? If there are any polishes I could use, can you tell me what type and what brand?

Last edited by sleeper408; 07-05-10 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-09-10, 05:20 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I always a clay bar on my wheels when I notice some build up that regular washing and quick detailer don't get. It comes out great every time. If this doesn't work your finish may be damaged and in need of refinishing.
Old 07-10-10, 10:30 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by j three
I always a clay bar on my wheels when I notice some build up that regular washing and quick detailer don't get. It comes out great every time. If this doesn't work your finish may be damaged and in need of refinishing.
Any particular brand that you use for the clay bar? I now know that these lips are specially anodized from Volk Racing. Do you think using a clay bar will only compound the problem?
Old 07-27-10, 04:51 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

I also new owner to some used Volk GT-7's and I accidently used some Meguiars wheel cleaner and immediatly notice the lips get a little haze on the and it wouldn't come off. I imaginge that it is a harsh chem. abrasive as stated earlier. Does anybody have some advice as to what I can do to polish the lips look like new/er? Should I clay bar them or use the mag/aluminum polish on them? I'm new to owning a nice set of wheels and don't know how to properly take care of them or what products to use. Can someone please help me.
Old 07-27-10, 10:09 PM
LexusJimD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyB822
I also new owner to some used Volk GT-7's and I accidently used some Meguiars wheel cleaner and immediatly notice the lips get a little haze on the and it wouldn't come off. I imaginge that it is a harsh chem. abrasive as stated earlier. Does anybody have some advice as to what I can do to polish the lips look like new/er? Should I clay bar them or use the mag/aluminum polish on them? I'm new to owning a nice set of wheels and don't know how to properly take care of them or what products to use. Can someone please help me.
Which wheel cleaner did you use, specifically?
Old 07-28-10, 05:15 AM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

I feel like a dumb *** because I thought that it was the Hot Rims Aluminum but it was the Hot Rims Chrome.

Quick Reply: Volk Lip polishing help