Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning your Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 10:13 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

bschack: where in NY are you?

it's easy.. let's take my friend for example.. he goes to car wash 1-2 times a week.. in my opinion it's insane but whatever floats your boat .. you know what i'm sayin?

if my car gets dirty and there is no rain in next 5 days.. then i take to the car wash.. i dont have any problem to take my car to the carwash.. its just everytime i take it to the carwash next day its rainin pisses me off but then again.. it's my luck

all i'm sayin is as often as you going take you car to the car wash as less you'd need to spend time each time on your car to make it perfect
Old 08-06-02, 10:37 AM
SergeDubovsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I wash with a 100% cotton viking mitt. I use mothers clay+lube, I use the klasse twins to give a good shine and top it off with a layer of pinnacle souveran wax. Interior I use lexol for leather and plexus for plastic and eagle 1 for glass
Sounds like one more autopian on this forum.
DO NOT WAX YOUR CAR ON A WEAKL BASIS, IT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE PAINT, IT DOENS'T LET IT BREATHE
That's funny. What do you mean "BREATHE"? Oxidation? Anyway frequency of rewaxing depends on type of wax you use. If it polymer - most likely it will stay 3-6 month, if it carnauba - after month or two it will be gone. If you don't want to get wax "build up" - just use some polish or remove old wax with Dawn (dishwasher liquid).
Old 08-06-02, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i thikn it's cool. i wash my car once a week too and wax it like once a week or once every two weeks. it really sounds insane to most people, and every time i tell people that they say i am crazy. i don't say anything and just wait till they see my car, then they will be like damn that thing is shiny, how do you do that? in fact this past weekend me and my gf drove both the tl type s and the gs4 around town together (both cars are modded) and it was funny how many eyes we caught

and i just cna't stress enough, don't let anyone else wash your car! always wash it yourself

and i am not sure about the not waxing too much, paint cant' breathe thing.... i wax it a lot and it's good so far. the way i think about it is, if i don't wash my car often, then i shouldn't wax it often. but if i drive it quite a few and wash it every week, i should put back the protection often too
Old 08-06-02, 12:51 PM
SergeDubovsky
Driver School Candidate

it really sounds insane to most people, and every time i tell people that they say i am crazy
There is the place for peoples like you autopia.ws It's an enthusiast detailers forum. Tons of useful info.
Old 08-07-02, 12:53 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

I use perfect tire gloss, z1 show car polish, and z5 swirl and scratch remover, and of coarse, the show car wash (z7). Ive never tried Lexol for the leather. Ive used the z9 before, but i barely use it. BTW, did i say that i use Zaino?

Im willing to give diff. products a try. ive been satisfied with Zaino, but genearch mentioned a carnuba product. perhaps pinnacle or one grand blitz.

*Consider* trying a good carnuba product like Pinnacle or One Grand Blitz. With a dark colored car, it will give so much depth over Zaino that it's not even funny. The general concensus is that Zaino is great for lighter colors but for dark blues and especially black, a good carnuba product can't be beat.

Last edited by Toog4me; 08-07-02 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-07-02, 06:30 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Zaino...the end.

I go to the car wash and spray the car, I don't touch it with a mitt, sponge or brush because I don't have to. Everything comes off with a good rinse. Then wipe it down and go.
Old 08-15-02, 10:05 PM
SergeDubovsky
Driver School Candidate

Klasse+Pinnacle Souveran
Old 08-16-02, 07:40 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Schedule

I guess with my job schedule I have more free time on my hands than most of ya ( when I'm home ). I wash the wife's GS weekly & usually use a single coat of Z-5 followed by two coats of Z-3. I use a California Duster every morning before she goes to work to get the layer of dust off & then wipe things down with Z-6. Of course the wheels get a coat of Z-3 weekly as well. Every 3 months I break out the Porter Cable buffer & Griot's polish & spend a day detailing the car. I'm a Zaino man so the leather interior gets it's share of attention while the outside Zaino's drying ( yes, the ZFX works!! ). I use the Z-18 claybar as needed & definitely during the quarterly buff job. Here's a tip - get the Griot's attachment for using the claybar with the PC buffer. It makes doing the large areas a snap & saves your arms for removing the Zaino!! I don't worry about building up the Zaino because of the quarterly buffing; besides, Sal himself says that the more coats U apply ( within reason ) the deeper the finish looks & my eyes can vouch for that.
As far as Zymol versus Zaino, I'd say that the Zaino product outshines the Zymol by a little bit but smokes the Zymol in terms of durability. At least the Zymol's EZ to apply/remove ( but so's Zaino! ).
Old 08-20-02, 01:42 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by genearch
I used to use Zaino then I discovered OneGrand... Then again what do I know, my last coat of OneGrand Blitz was 6-8 weeks ago

Looks great, where can I find some more info. or purchase the OneGrand?
Old 08-21-02, 12:07 AM
RacingAristo

I have the same question as Kyle does.
Old 08-21-02, 09:45 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For more info on One Grand products: http://www.onegrand.com

For a better price and to satisfy all/most of your care care jones, surf to:
Classic Motoring Accessories
Old 08-21-02, 12:21 PM
epineffreen
Driver School Candidate

Question CHROME TRIM

The chrome trim around my car is really dull. is there a product u guys recommend that would make it glow?
Old 08-22-02, 01:25 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
For more info on One Grand products: http://www.onegrand.com

For a better price and to satisfy all/most of your care care jones, surf to:
Classic Motoring Accessories
Thanks, I'm currently using Zaino and I'm pretty happy but am open to trying something different. My car's dark green and I think the real light swirl marks could be hidden a little better, and maybe it could look a little deeper than it does with the Zaino. Would the Omega Glaze do a better job of hiding imperfections than the Zaino? I used about 6 coats of Z-5 and a bunch of Z-2 and it looks great unless it gets just the right light then you can see the swirls.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 08-22-02 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-24-02, 08:47 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb

In case it's helpful, my personal web site has info on what I use to maintain my Lexi. http://www.bertsplace.net/detailing.htm The "Zaino Steps" page (click on the left of the above page) has a summary from many sources over the last several months -- this site, Sal's hints, and my practical application of applying Zaino to my toys... It works for me, and boy, do I love that shine with no scratches and swirls!

I'm not selling anything, but had several friends that kept asking me for "how to's" and where I bought some of the stuff, so you'll find the links there as well -- your mileage may vary, of course.
Old 08-26-02, 10:28 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Starting on the inside:

Pinnacle Leather Conditioner for all leather, 303 for all inside vinyl, Stoner Invisible glass/Eimann Clear Vision for glass, Plexus for plastic, Toyota Spot Remover, and no, repeat, no paper towels every touch the plastic(except when I spill a coke or a Chocolate Shake!!). I use those miracle/viper towels and pads.

On the outside:

Pinnacle car wash with a natural sponge, Klasse AIO and SG with Sonus for the in-betweens, Amsoil Pure Power to clean tires and wheels with Vinylex to make them glisten. The Big Blue towel for drying.

Quick Reply: Cleaning your Lexus