Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning your Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 11:44 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire Wet is the best tire dressing
Old 09-13-02, 10:29 PM
Fourcaratz
Rookie

I go to a hand detailing place as fara as washing goes. For tires, I found that when you apply the gel (wether it be Meguiars or other) at night when you go in to stay, it settles in and doesn't kick up. If that's not possible, make the tires the very first thing you clean and shine, allowing it to settle in the tire, and apply very often. I use a California duster for the interior, and I really don like putting shine to my seats, I like the original leather look and smell. For the windows, I use Invisible Glass spray (aerosol). It doesn't hurt the tint...
Old 09-13-02, 10:36 PM
Fourcaratz
Rookie

Tire Wet kicks up on your rear qtr. panel. All of those sprays can't compare to the gels. Too often I see people spray their tires and then pull off...I'm saying to myself , for what? That was just a waste of spray, it's gonna fly off by the time you get to the next corner. Use a sponge ( a big one, not the one that comes with the gels), just wear a glove on whatever hand you're applying it with. I use Turtle Wax tire wax. When you let that stuff sit overnight on your tires, damn, they look like mirrors the next morning. I also keep some Meguiar's Quik Detailer in the trunk. That's for those quick wipe-downs when you're on the strip (you guys know how we do it).
Old 09-14-02, 05:35 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaning your Lexus

Originally posted by bitkahuna
paint swirls.... can be gotten out, but it's just more of a pain).
if you don't know first-hand, you wouldn't believe the pain. but then it becomes obsessive then fun, and a victory feels damn good
Old 09-14-02, 12:58 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot where I mentioned this on CL but if u guys really wanna get ur windows and stuff spotless on the inside, take a clean rag/terry cloth and wet it string it out do that a couple times just to make sure nothing is on it, then wipe the inside of ur windows good, especially the windshield, have some paper towels handy because the water will dry out fast, wipe the windows Dry and they'll be spotless, I started doing thsi now because even Invisible glass would leave streaks, the worst thing too was when it would get really really humid outside and cars were driving headon at night, I could seee the streaks really bad.

ShOwGS
Old 09-14-02, 10:58 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I try to wash my car every 2 weeks but it often works out to more like once a month. My car's white so it shows the dirt pretty bad.

For any wheels, including OEM, I would tend to use just regular car wash soap and a soft bristled brush like the Oxo car brushes. A lot of the wheel cleaner products do weird things to the car pain and/or the brake rotors and calipers. Plus it will eat away painted plastic wheel parts like plastic center caps.

Check out the car care survey thread for details on how I wash my car and the products I use.

Ral
Old 09-17-02, 07:23 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Default Re: CHROME TRIM

Originally posted by epineffreen
The chrome trim around my car is really dull. is there a product u guys recommend that would make it glow?
Honestly I always had good results with Glass Wax, which you can buy at hardware stores like OSH (if you can't find it at an auto store).

But I'd be willing to bet that you couldn't go wrong with a Mothers or Meguiars product made for that purpose.

Ral