Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which Buffer - Porter 7424...??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 08:17 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

How does the PC 7424XP stack up to the Griots Garage 6" Random Orbital (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...m+orbital.do)?

I'm looking for an entry-level polisher that would be effective for swirl and scratch marks on my black LS. Both products seems to be priced about the same, but the motor sizes are very different. 4.5 amps for the PC and 8 amps for the Griots. It appears that the Griots is more heavy duty and has a better design (handle rotates and provides more direct overhead leverage). Other impressions or thoughts?
Old 12-01-10, 09:01 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I always see that the guys from Detailer's Domain use the Makita... is there a reason for it? Do you guys think it's better than the flex.

And on another note, if money is no object... what is the best (the best of the best) buffer you can buy? I'm thinking about getting me one pretty soon.
Old 12-01-10, 03:31 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I always see that the guys from Detailer's Domain use the Makita... is there a reason for it? Do you guys think it's better than the flex.

And on another note, if money is no object... what is the best (the best of the best) buffer you can buy? I'm thinking about getting me one pretty soon.
You mean the Makita 9227 Rotary? It corrects faster, has more pad options than the Flex RO, and its very easy to use. I find the Flex tends to "grab" you into one direction with its 5in ONLY pads. The Makita I can put any pad size I want and control it easily. There is a learning curve to both machines. I found the Flex had a non-flexible backing plate which I found annoying on curves and indents in the sheet metal (think the front fender of a new Camry)
Old 12-01-10, 07:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I own both the Makita 9227c and the PC7424. I seldom need to use the Makita and prefer to use the 7424. I don't work on cars that need much correction and keep my own vehicles in top shape so a rotary is not the tool of choice for me most of the time.

There is a new MF pad system nearing the market that will potentially make tasks only suitable for a rotary a breeze with a PC so I'd hold off till spring to decide which you really feel you need.

The rotary is not as forgiving as the DA and it is fairly easy to cause marring/holograms. The DA, while it takes longer to correct, it is much safer. My DA also seems to finish up better than my rotary. On those vehicles where I did need the rotary, I find myself doing the final jeweling with my DA to achieve the results I want.

The new MF pad system promises to make the DA highly effective for the heavy lifting as well as the final polishing so I'd recommend you keep an eye on this technology for a few months and make your decision after some more users have a chance to comment on their results. It looks very promising from what I see in the following thread.

Here is a link to the MF system I'm talking about: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46309
Old 12-01-10, 08:53 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

^ Interesting... Would it work well with a Flex too?
Old 12-02-10, 06:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
^ Interesting... Would it work well with a Flex too?
They claimed so in the thread but until it is in the hands of a few of us ???
Old 12-02-10, 07:57 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Both the Flex XC 3401 VRG and Makita 9227C-X3 Rotary Buffer are both great choices. However they are quite different as well. The Flex is a forced random orbit, which in short means it oscillates and won't burn the paint. A rotary buffer spins continuously in one direction which gives you more cutting power but it can burn the paint if you are not careful. A rotary buffer can bring back a near flawless clear coat and a Flex can come pretty close, but it has it's limitation. If you want absolute perfection and you are willing to invest some time practicing a Makita is a great choice. If you prefer ease of use and you just want to detail occasionally while still getting excellent results I'd suggest the Flex. Check out our buffer comparison chart for some more details. Below I've listed some package deals we offer for both units and we area also offering Free S/H on order over $99 this month.

Flex Packages
DI Packages Flex XC 3401 VRG, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads
DI Packages Flex XC 3401 VRG, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads Starter Kit
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG 2 Step Menzerna Polishing Package
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG Advanced Package
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG Starter Package
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG With Custom Flex Bag

Makita Packages
DI Packages Makita 9227C-X3 Advanced Kit
DI Packages Makita 9227C-X3 and Meguiar's Polishing Starter Kit
DI Packages Makita 9227C-X3 Starter Kit

If you have any questions please let me know I'd be happy to help!

Greg
Old 12-02-10, 09:48 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dennison17
I have an old Black & Decker Polisher / Sander. It runs at about 2400 rpm's and it has served me well for years for minor sanding and car buffing. That said, I recently bought a 2010 RX 450h...BLACK. (What the heck was I thinking...?) I've been thinking about getting a professional buffer and it seems like the Porter Cable 7424 is a decent unit. Any recommendations about this unit or any other that would work well?
Dennison, keeping in mind I'm a novice, I have this advice: if you can go to a class or one-day detailing school, do so. Your obsidian black Lexus will thank you. A little hands-on will go a long way.

The machines being discussed and their descriptions is very good. The vendors here know their stuff. Mine was a purely economical decision. I picked up two Porter-Cables cheap. I put a large backing plate on one and a small plate on the other. Too lazy to keep changing during a detail. I haven't seen a Flex, but the description interests me. So does the cruise control of the Meguiar's.

This is my opinion, others please correct me if you feel I'm wrong, the obsidian black or more correctly the clear coat is very soft and it swirls easily. Start with a high quality car soap , clay the finish and gently polish then wax it. I use Meguiar's M205 with great success. If you have to correct some dealer instilled mess, try Meguiars Ultimate Compound (or something more gentle). Follow that up with M205. Do a test spot before proceeding to the whole car.

The way you wash it from now on will make a huge difference in the long run.

Enjoy your new RX.
Old 12-02-10, 11:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
There is a new MF pad system nearing the market that will potentially make tasks only suitable for a rotary a breeze with a PC so I'd hold off till spring to decide which you really feel you need.

The new MF pad system promises to make the DA highly effective for the heavy lifting as well as the final polishing so I'd recommend you keep an eye on this technology for a few months and make your decision after some more users have a chance to comment on their results. It looks very promising from what I see in the following thread.

Here is a link to the MF system I'm talking about: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46309
Thanks for the link and mentioning this new MF system, I never heard about it. I am pretty excited now after reading all the talk about it and what it seems capable of doing. I polish more cars in my spare time and was thinking of possibly getting something in the future that works a little faster and can correct more serious defects I was thinking about maybe getting a FLEX or even rotary for that but this new system sounds like an answer to what I want and I won't have to spend 300+ on a new machine.