Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Some Tips on Deep Cleaning Old Leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02, 07:58 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get it better looking than that. The butt polished look still remains. I will post my how to and before after pics shortly.
Old 07-06-02, 10:08 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried it a little on my black leather earlier, initial results are good. Tiny bit of white residue in the seams (tiniest bit, not even noticeable) but a normal cleaner should take care of that. I did part of my back seat and it looks and feels a little better, I'd expect a more dramatic difference on the front seats, especially driver's side. Well worth the time and effort.

I picked up some Tuff Stuff last night too, gonna do that soon as well. I haven't done more than vacuum the carpet since I bought the car last fall, so I'm sure that'll help too.

Al, get back to us with your technique on the leather.
Old 07-06-02, 08:29 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick update, I finished things up earlier. I was amazed by how much dirt came out of the driver's seat. I followed the SoftScrub with Tanner's Preserve cleaner and 2 applications of conditioner. The leather feels and looks good, but I do still have a little bit of white in the stitching, it's not bad though. I'm thinking this should go away fairly soon, either on it's own or through another cleaning with leather cleaner, IMO it's not enough to deter from doing this cleaning.

There was something I'd wondered about; Horta, you'd mentioned that the leather soaked up a lot of conditioner. I'm not a leather expert, but might the SoftScrub strip the leather of some of it's oils, leaving it kinda dry and in need of replenishing? My leather felt a little dry after the SoftScrub, which is why I used 2 good applications of the conditioner.
Old 07-06-02, 09:24 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Kyle

I dont know I'm no expert either. I would think the Soft Scrub may dry out the leather but honestly it does not feel any dryer than say after you have cleaned it with regular leather car.

All I know is that the leather was MUCH MUCH softer after I fionished the entire process than is was before. I do know that I have had NO long term effects to doing this.

Good Luck
Jerry

PS Thanks for the update on trying it with Black Leather.
Old 07-07-02, 10:51 PM
blange400
Driver

This is a great thread, the soft scrub deal makes sense if you follow it up with a conditioner or lanolin to replenish the oils.

I can personally testify that "Tuff STuff" works, just use as directed and be amazed. I cleaned some "Student" stained cloth seats in a car I was selling for a family member...the car was shot. Interior stained bad...Tuff stuff scrubbed in worked.

Great info and beautiful interior pics.
Old 07-08-02, 06:11 AM
Frankinaustin
Driver

Default Lexus Cleaner and Moisturizer

Did you say that you also use Lexus leather cleaner and then their moisturizer AFTER you do the soft scrub?

Will this proceedure make the headrests of the back seat become soft like they were when new, rather than hard like formica? Many thanks!

Frank
Old 07-08-02, 03:37 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default Before Soft Scrub

eleven years of ground in grunge
Attached Thumbnails Some Tips on Deep Cleaning Old Leather-beforess_small.jpg  
Old 07-08-02, 03:38 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default After Soft Scrub

30 minutes and a little bit of elbow grease later .......
Attached Thumbnails Some Tips on Deep Cleaning Old Leather-afterss_small.jpg  
Old 07-08-02, 09:21 PM
StreetLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thread guys, this is the exact info I was looking for from this site! I am new to the Forum and to owning a Lexus as well.

I just purchased a 1999 (CPO) ES 300.

I have a few questions about the Lexus line of cars and would like some assistance from any of you willing to offer advice.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=51658

The above link is a few questions regarding my new car and Lexus in general, any help or advice is appreciated...It is posted in the ES 300 Forum.....

Again, what a great thread.......

Thanks,
Jonny

Last edited by StreetLexus; 07-08-02 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 09:58 PM
pp0323
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot Horta...did exactly as you instructed on my 92SC400 with over 200,000 miles that I bought in near mint condition from the previous owner. Although he maintained everything else, the leather was decent, but not spectacular. After using the Soft Scrub (lemon scent), the leather is now clean and quite soft. I'm sold...
Old 08-23-03, 05:05 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

bringing up an old thread, but I took the time to start this process on my wife's '94 SC400.

http://www.ewylie.com/sc400/seatcleaning.htm

I'm very pleased with the results and have the leather conditioner soaking in now. Thanks again for the tip.

-twylie

Last edited by twylie; 08-23-03 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-24-03, 07:47 AM
lextek
Driver

This is de ja vu (sp?) Years ago I would use soft scrub and wash a car that had really dull paint, then follow up with rubbing compund and wax. The soft scrub played a major role in bringing back the dull paint to life, and it was great in the interior as well, as evidenced by this thread.

The secret is out lol.

Lextek.
Old 08-26-03, 04:58 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Wow twylie, those pictures are awesome. You have totally convinced me, I will buy the soft scrub with lemon this weekend. What type of conditioner did you apply afterward? Can you post a picture of the brush you used?
Old 09-15-03, 04:17 PM
mtsao
Driver

Again, great thread Horta!! I also have a 90 LS with beige leather and I'm really psyched about getting out some of those nasty lines on the driver seat.

Incidentally, Orange hand cleaner is also an excellent cleaner. You know, the stuff you can buy at WalMart or auto parts stores that are for cleaning greasy hands. My girlfriend had spilled Chinese takeout on her floormat over a year ago and there was this big ugly splotch that looked like someone had emptied some used motor oil and it all came out with orange cleaner and some gentle rubbing (how gentle you ask? I only used a Bounty paper towel!). Only thing is, it made me sorta regret cleaning it because now I felt guilty for not doing the rest of the mat, since this one area was now so clean

There is no petroleum in this orange stuff, but I don't know if I would recommend it for leather--I just know it's great for carpet.

Mike
Old 09-18-03, 02:06 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread from the first post http://www.ewylie.com/sc400/seatcleaning.htm
won't open for me.

Is it still working?

Quick Reply: Some Tips on Deep Cleaning Old Leather