Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Karcher power washer - repair or buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 04:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts
Question Karcher power washer - repair or buy new?

I have an electric Karcher power washer, K297M, 1600 psi, that's several years old. When I tried to use it recently, the trigger gun was leaking water and I noticed the hose has seen better days. I might need to replace both. However, I'm not sure how reliable Karcher and these machines are in general. I was looking for opinions - replace the parts or buy a new power washer? I haven't been able to use it so I'm not sure if anything else might need to be replaced. It only adds to my quandary
Old 07-11-10, 09:44 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its just the trigger and the hose are bad, just buy another hose and trigger. Though you'll have to price it out and debate that on your own of course
Old 07-12-10, 04:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

eyezack, thanks. I'm leaning towards a new power washer instead of replacing the parts. It'll probably cost close to $80 for a new gun and hose. Plus it's around 10 years old. Not sure how much longer it'll last. Any suggestions on a new electric power washer and must-have accessories?
Old 07-12-10, 07:30 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, fair point since its bound to die sooner or later. I just entered the PW market but most people agree that the gas powered ones are generally the most durable if you take care of it right. Only accessory I'd recommend is a foam cannon
Old 07-13-10, 06:16 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I posted this update on the Meguiar's forum just a day ago. It might be of interest to you. I wanted to stick with electric as I didn't want another gasoline engine to have to look after and winterize plus I didn't want or need the bulk, noise and power of the gasoline units.

This is the unit I reviewed: http://www.huskypowerwasher.com/

Ok, so I got distracted and it is now 12 months since my last update on the Husky 2000S.

Everything still works, no broken parts and it has seen a lot of use. As I mentioned I have several large water features on my property which need routine pressure washing as well as three TREK decks and a limestone patio. I find this model invaluable for car care as well and have washed over 100 cars with it.

As previously mentioned, This unit has two on-board tanks for soaps/APCs and a low, medium and high pressure mode wand. It also comes with a turbo cleaning wand and a right angle wand for cleaning hard to reach areas like fender wells and undercarriages. I like the fact that I can use the medium pressure to clean my wheels and fender wells with no worry of damage. The unit does a great job of foaming the vehicles using my Shampoo Plus in one tank and cleaning tires and fender wells with APC in the other.

Overall, this Husky is still the best electric pressure washer I've owned to date and I've owned several of the major brands. It has seen a lot of use and still looks and runs as it did when new. I like it even more now then I did at three months and would buy it again today.

Now all that said, I still think that as a group, these under $300 electric pressure washers are lacking in quality control during manufacturing. I believe they are all made in China and some come out good and others junk.

I'd suggest that if you're planning to purchase one of these consider an extended replacement warranty as well. This particular model came with a three year warranty from Home Depot but I'd not want to own one without a long warranty.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-13-10 at 06:20 AM.