Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which pad goes best with what polish?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 07:26 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Which pad goes best with what polish?

I have a FLEX Dual Action polisher that I bought with a bunch of other paint detailing supplies. But there is one thing I'm not sure of.

I have 4 different polishes: Poorboy's World SSR1, 2, 2.5 and 3. And 3 Lake Country Pads (Orange Medium Cutting, White Polishing and Red Wax/Sealant).

So what pad should I use with what polish? Should I start with the least aggressive Pad/Polish combo and work my way up until I get the result I'm looking for?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-10, 07:49 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you got it. least aggressive pad and polish first. if you're not happy, change pad or change polish. keep moving up until you're satisfied.
Old 07-12-10, 04:55 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try calling them and asking them about the pads and products. Sorry we don't sell them so I can't answer your question for you.
Old 07-13-10, 12:19 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

If I only have one set of pads(one of each), do I need to clean the pads throughly with soap and water before switching polishes? Or can I just use a toothbrush(spur tool) to get the excess off and layer on?
Old 07-13-10, 06:26 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically, when switching polishes, you will want to clean the pad between. With one set of pads, that involves some downtime.

However, I have used Poorboy's SSR products on the same pad before. Not really recommended, but it was a situation where I was about 45 miles from my backup pads, and didn't feel like making the drive to get them. The paint didn't seem any worse for wear, though from that point on I never left the house without a set of backup pads.