Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cigarette marks

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 12:28 PM
rb2010
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette marks

Hello everyone!

I bought my 06 IS250 recently at an auction, when the car arrived, it appeared that it was a smoker car. I know what you have to say about the smoke smell, not much can be done about it.

What I am trying to fix is cigarette marks, when the previous owner was smoking, he/she missed the windows often enough and hit the windshield panels (the ones that cover airbags) and also headliner. Still can't understand how he/she managed to reach the headliner but that's another story. I just wanted to see what are my options, is it replacing those parts or is there any way to paint them? I have black interior but the parts I am talking about are grey.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-10, 07:15 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can alleviate the smoke smell, but you need to find a detailer with an ozone machine. Depending on how bad the smell is, they may have to leave the machine in for up to 6-8 hours. If you don't want to go that route, then at the very least use this product:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...klaircocl.html

As for the windshield panels/headliner, my advice is to go to the nearest large dealership and ask one of the used car guys who their "lot guy" is that does cosmetic repairs. These dealerships all use guys that handle small cosmetic fixes such as these. They show up once a week and knock out whatever work needs to be done.

I've got a guy here in NC that I have used for these types of repairs for the last 5 years. He has done some amazing repairs on leather/cloth seats. It will be FAR cheaper doing it this way than replacing them. They fill the burn holes with a combination of adhesive and colored fibers, and if they do the repair correctly, you will hardly be able to tell where the repair was done.