Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

can you pressure wash ur car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 05:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
1750psi does zilch to paint when held 1cm away. Even on rock chips no damage at all.
On your paint on your car... I have a good friend who used his PW on his new Jeep LTD and it washed huge sheets of paint off the car. I'd suggest caution is in order and if anyone reading this thread thinks it is 100% safe to use their PW 1 cm from the paint without damage better have deep pockets.
Old 10-30-10, 01:37 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
On your paint on your car... I have a good friend who used his PW on his new Jeep LTD and it washed huge sheets of paint off the car. I'd suggest caution is in order and if anyone reading this thread thinks it is 100% safe to use their PW 1 cm from the paint without damage better have deep pockets.
All my cars and clients cars. I detail all makes and years as well. You just have to have a feel for your machine and some common sense. The only reason why I stated that was because people have a tendency to type what they read without doing things themselves. That is what annoys me the most on forums. I'd rather dispel some of the "myths" than let the lies continue
Old 10-31-10, 09:04 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I've used pressure washer at the coin op for years never had any problems even shooting close distance on rock chipped places. Unless if you got a huge chip or crack then use some common sense of course. But when use a pressure washer, of course use some common sense.
Old 10-31-10, 06:56 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still use a coin op pressure washer mainly during winter months to help remove excessive salt and snow grime from the wheel wells and side skirt areas. The tip of the nozzle is just a few short inches away from the car when blasting water.
Old 10-31-10, 09:07 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I copied this out of the manual of one of my power washers.

The powerful spray from your pressure washer is capable of causing damage to surfaces of wood, glass, automobile paint, auto stripping and plastic, rubber or vinyl trim and tyres. Before spraying, check the item to be cleaned to be sure that it is strong enough to resist damage from the force of the spray. Avoid the use of the concentrated spray stream except for very strong surfaces like concrete and steel.
I'm not suggesting that one shouldn't use a PW for automotive cleaning, only that it should be used with a reasonable dose of caution. I use a PW for cleaning vehicles all the time and have for years, but I don't doubt for a minute that the potential for causing damage exists. Caution is the keyword here.

When using on automotive paint be sure there are no rust issues with the vehicle. The older the car the more fragile the paint could be.

What are some of the things that can happen?

•You can cut through the paint or blow off chips of paint.
•You can strip off undercoating or protective coatings from the undercarriage, engine, wheel wells or painted brake calipers.
•You can blast off emblems or vinyl trim. Many are only glued on.
•You can blast off stickers or labels from engine compartment.
•You can break through paint over rusted areas, and often these may not be visible until the damage is done.
•You can damage plastic, vinyl and rubber trim.
•You can damage your tire sidewalls.
•You can force water into places like inside the engine electronics, headlight or taillights.

Still, when used with reasonable caution power washers are a real water and time saver.
Old 10-31-10, 10:28 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

seeing the dealer's car washers out in the morning power washing the cars makes me think how much of the paint might've been cut through even before someone purchases one of their cars. i know they don't really use common sense, as they simply blast away trying to get the soot and dirt off the car as fast as possible- being that there are so many cars for them to have to clean on daily basis.