Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

can you pressure wash ur car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 12:17 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can you pressure wash ur car?

i was wondering would using a pressure washer to wash your car or truck hurt it? i wasnt going to use like the 0 head but the one that sprays the line and less pressure
Old 07-23-10, 06:52 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You could damage your car or tires if you use a pressure washer with too much pressure. I'd not want to use anything over 2,000 psi. I'd also caution to not get the wand too close to the vehicle as the pressure is much higher closer to the nozzle. If you have areas where the paint has chipped you could also remove chunks of paint with too much pressure.

I use an electric pressure washer rated at 2,000 max psi and it has tanks for chemicals. I put car wash soap in one and APC in another. The unit foams the car nicely and I use around 800-900 psi for the paintwork and 2000 psi for the wheels, tires, fender wells and undercarriage.
Old 07-23-10, 12:20 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use up to 2500psi on paint no problem. The pressure is significantly reduced just 2- 3 feet away from the nozzle.
Old 07-23-10, 04:48 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm able to wash my hands with a 1750psi unit when its 6in away from the knozzle. Doesn't hurt at all. 1in, however, is another story
Old 07-25-10, 08:44 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 109 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
You could damage your car or tires if you use a pressure washer with too much pressure. I'd not want to use anything over 2,000 psi. I'd also caution to not get the wand too close to the vehicle as the pressure is much higher closer to the nozzle. If you have areas where the paint has chipped you could also remove chunks of paint with too much pressure.

I use an electric pressure washer rated at 2,000 max psi and it has tanks for chemicals. I put car wash soap in one and APC in another. The unit foams the car nicely and I use around 800-900 psi for the paintwork and 2000 psi for the wheels, tires, fender wells and undercarriage.
Pressure washer can damage Tires?? I use the coin-OP bay wash area and they have high pressure washer guns and I don't know how much PSI they are using but i go 1" clearance from the gun to my tires to spray all that grim out with no problems. Been doing it for years.
Old 07-25-10, 01:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Pressure washer can damage Tires?? I use the coin-OP bay wash area and they have high pressure washer guns and I don't know how much PSI they are using but i go 1" clearance from the gun to my tires to spray all that grim out with no problems. Been doing it for years.
All tire and most car manufacturers don't recommend using a pressure washer on tires. But use what works for you...carefully.

Car Pressure Washers And Tires
Car wash systems featuring self car wash options offer convenience to those who prefer to wash a vehicle themselves, but many customers are unaware that the pressure washer car wash can be hard on their tires. A recent edition of Popular Mechanics advises against using pressure washer car wash nozzles too close to the tires, especially using the narrow-angle feature of some hand car wash nozzles. The problem comes when using the spray too close to the sidewalls, where water pressure changes can damage tire structure. Simply lowering the pressure doesn't help, the trouble is caused by alternating water pressure. Posting signs in the car wash system area with a warning to keep the spray a reasonable distance from the sidewalls protects car wash owners from complaints and possible liability.
Check this out. Scroll down to the HIGH-PRESSURE SPRAYER DAMAGE image.

http://www.tirew.com/warranty/_docum...ot_covered.pdf

Condition: High-pressure industrial sprayers are powerful enough to damage tires. This type of damage is most often cosmetic and requires no repair unless casing cords or other components are exposed. If casing cords are visible, remove this tire from service.
Solution: Do not use high-pressure sprayers to clean tires.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-25-10 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 08:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

That's good to know. But how strong are those pressure washers from the coin-op anyhow? Are they weaker/stronger than the ones that they sale outside?
Old 07-26-10, 08:41 AM
LVLEXUSSUX
Driver School Candidate

go through touchless.. much better then risking paint damage
Old 10-19-10, 02:12 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldnt use it mainly because if you wax your car I dont think the wax is designed to withstand that kind of pressure. You may be knocking some of the wax off
Old 10-19-10, 05:20 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I agree with flektone, it seems as if that kind of pressure would knock off the wax or sealant.
Old 10-19-10, 11:44 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Then you guys might as well not even touch the car. If you logically think about it, cleaning the car still uses some friction. Friction removes wax as well correct?

Besides, in my year of using a pressure washer, I noticed 0 effect on durability. I wash my car every week since its dark and looks ugly when its brownish blue
Old 10-27-10, 06:34 AM
fastgsr95
Driver School Candidate

I always hand wash no matter what gets much cleaner and looks way better.
Old 10-29-10, 12:45 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Was never... a fan of washing cars by hand. Too many chances on marring the car.
Old 10-29-10, 07:23 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts

I would only use one if can be used on a low setting. If you use it too close to the car with too much pressure, you could damage the paint.
Old 10-29-10, 04:06 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would only use one if can be used on a low setting. If you use it too close to the car with too much pressure, you could damage the paint.
1750psi does zilch to paint when held 1cm away. Even on rock chips no damage at all.

Quick Reply: can you pressure wash ur car?