Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Product advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 07:41 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default ................................................

Last edited by funcrusher; 12-13-15 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 08:03 PM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=13932&url=detailedimage.com/303-M2/Washing-and-Drying-Basic-Kit-P349

or

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...-Package-P148/

Last edited by danthedj; 08-07-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 01:23 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^some p21s should work well under the hood to get the grime out.

for a basic wash, get 2 buckets, meguiar's gold class wash from walmart. 1 sheepskin mitt, 2 grit guards, waffle weave towel from any of the vendors.

or just buy a kit from the vendors.

then you might wanna look into something to clean the wheels, i like the ez detail brush, gets into the inner barrels pretty well. ez detail brush works for cleaning the engine bay too.
Old 08-04-10, 02:24 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some more washing and drying packages you may be interested in:

DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit

DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit

DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

DI Packages Washing and Drying Ultimate Kit

As for the engine bay check out our detailing guide which has a section just for the engine bay. It's actually pretty simple and you don't need much for the process. I tend to just use a degreaser, rag and a protectant. My personal favorite for cleaning is the P21S Total Auto Wash. It's a very gentle and safe cleaner that you spray all over. Thin I rinse it off with a light mist and respray stubborn stains and agitate them with a rag. When you are done a good protectant like the 303 Aerospace Protectant makes the rubber, vinyl, plastic, etc. look brand new again. Lastly you can save 10% off with the coupon code 10offCL, but it does not apply to package deals, sale items and tools. However through 8/8 we are offering 20% OFF with the coupon code Home2010 in honor of our new home page design. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Old 08-04-10, 04:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I can vouch for everything in this package except the grout sponge - http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...-Package-P148/

CG Maxi Suds lives up to its name big time, sheepskin mitts (I have 8-talk about ****) and grit guard are a must, and the DI microfiber waffle weave drying towel is awesome. I use it on my RX450h after a quick blowout with the leaf blower. And 303 is great for the interior, low/no shine and UV protection.
Old 08-05-10, 06:43 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I was trying to get some advice on car washing products. I have a silver 2002 ES and usually go to cheap car washes I want to start washing it myself with GOOD products. I don't want to spend 8 hours every weekend, maybe a hour or 2. Can anyone recommend some good products that wont break my pocket? I dont even think i have a rag to wash with.....I want to see what everyone recommends before i go to auto zone and start buying random things. Thanks
dont use "rags" to wash your car. that'll scratch up the paint.

Originally Posted by Jetfire
^

for a basic wash, get 2 buckets, meguiar's gold class wash from walmart. 1 sheepskin mitt, 2 grit guards, waffle weave towel from any of the vendors.

or just buy a kit from the vendors.

some good advice from Jetfire here. Meguirs gold class wash, sheepskin mitt (dont skimp), wash bucket and some waffle weave towels and youre set. most of which you should be able to find at any pepboys, advance auto
Old 08-07-10, 02:58 PM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally i wouldnt pick products from a pepboys store or the like. I've personally noticed that their sheepskin mits are oftentimes not as high quality as those from a detailing supplier. In walmart i have noticed their sheepskin mits say "SHEEPSKIN" in huge letters but underneath they say "synthetic" so just watch what you purchase and do it with care.

Meguires Gold Class wash is some of the best car wash you can buy at a store. I have used it many times and do like the quality of the product compared to other off the shelf car washes.

Personally for someone just getting started in detailing/caring for their car id suggest the Basic Washing and Drying Kit from Detailed Image. Unlike any other detail supplier DI takes a few separate products and puts them into a package at an awesome discount. Other than that package you'd need two 5 gallon buckets and a hose.
Old 09-27-10, 10:39 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different of course. Tires/rims include metal shavings when you clean them